Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In the end, zoysia will take over unless Prograss and Sencor are part of the weed control program. You do not want zoysia unless you can mow with a correctly adjusted and sharp reel mower. When I have looked at weedy bermuda lawns, factors contributing to the weeds were fertilization and mowing. Bermuda mowed at the right height, with the right machinery does not allow weeds. Bermuda fertilized near 1 lb of N per month of growing season and mowed at the right height grows dense enough to overpower many weeds. Bermuda mowed at over 1/12 and with a rotary is usually thin. Thin enough such that every possible weed comes up. Low mowing tends to discourage grassy weeds that tend to grow tall and clumpy. If it is not feasible to mow low, then that area is best established with centipede, St Augustine or cool season grasses.

Listen to ArTurf. Preemergent can and does thin out bermuda. You do not want to do anything that thins out the bermuda. In bermuda, there are lots of postemergent chemicals that are selective to the bermuda. I have to use the term postemergent loosely because many of those chemicals were originally marketed to corn and wheat farmers for season long control of most weeds, both broadleaf and grassy.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another option would to Sprig with Bermuda. Sprigs are not too expensive and given the right fertilization schedule and irrigation, will fill in quickly. You could overseed with Bermuda after the pre-em has been depleted. Not a quick fix; though effective.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

After looking closer at the pics I think the areas with crab last year will be easy to fill in with the existing bermuda. If you are the one maintaining the grass on a regular basis, though.

I would spot treat the crab with post as needed when I mowed. Of course do the things bermuda likes. As GD said the zoysia may eventually take over but I think that will take years. Once the bermuda gets established you can chemically remove the zoysia if you want to go that route.

This one shouldnt be that hard especially since you have irrigation.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I would wait until spring and then cut very short and apply nitrogen as often as reasonable and water well. The Bermuda will spread more quickly than the zoysia, the crabgrass won't like being cut short and you can kill it chemically, and then you can kill the zoysia chemically after the Bermuda has established itself more dominantly.
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
3 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator