Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Then you go to jail. You can't shoot unless they pose a threat.
Posted via Mobile Device
and entering a persons home to steal from them or cause bodily harm is not a threat? Gun them down I say. If a thief is bold enough (which we all know they are) then I'm bold enough to pop a cap in them if they enter my home. Thing is, they have to get past my 3 dogs which isn't going to happen.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Totally depends on the state. In NH if they are inside your home you can shoot. Some states its all property. Everyone needs to know their state laws. In the worst of states you not only have to be in immediate life threatening danger, there cant be a way to escape!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Heck, even Biden is saying the public should buy shotguns!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally I would rather spend the rest of my life in prison knowing I protected my wife and kids.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Totally depends on the state. In NH if they are inside your home you can shoot. Some states its all property. Everyone needs to know their state laws. In the worst of states you not only have to be in immediate life threatening danger, there cant be a way to escape!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm sure here in mn they have to pose an actual threat. My neighbor works in law enforcement and was telling me this just a few weeks ago after robberies around us. Which one of the suspects is a snow customer, and I'm an eye witness to them stealing from a neighbours house as I hauled some of my stuff to store at another farm. Now it changes and the charges change if the door is locked, even with a just a little chain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5943 View Post
It happened here in Madison about a year ago. Someone walked into a home in the middle of the day and was shot and killed. There were no charges. You can absolutely kill a stranger for walking into your home. The only person that could tell the police they were no threat is you. That's the way it should be. Most home robberies happen during the day.
Here in mn a home owner is being charged with murder of 2 teenage cousins for breaking in his home on thanksgiving, but they can prove they were no danger to him. What made him even more mad was they supposedly were laughing at him because he just wounded them.

If was me, I would threaten with a gun for them to leave and a warning shot to see what they do. If they lunge at me or grab for something, I'll shoot them. I have no problem doing so, I just won't do jail time it either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Bingo
Posted via Mobile Device
Double bingo!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
People doors are closed on their homes, it doesn't stop thieves. Vehicle doors are closed and unlocked, it doesn't stop theft either. Thieves can walk into your home at any time with the door unlocked, there's isn't much police can do about it. Trespassing charges can be dropped quickly or be bailed out in hours. So why would a trailer be any different?
Posted via Mobile Device
No one said close the door and you are 100% safe....
I think the idea here is trying to limit the chances you are going to be ripped off.

Look, if you wanted to save time you could take everything you need off the trailer and set it on the ground, it would make life a bit easier, but also much easier for someone to rip you off.

I think the discussion is about is it worth the extra time to cut down your chances of someone targeting you for theft....
Accelerator Baggers
Toro 21"
Honda 21"
Sthil 110 4-Mix String Trimmer
Sthil 420 BP Blower
Echo 755 Blower
Sthil HS-81 Hedge Trimmer
Spyker Spreader
Plugr PL 800 WB Aerator
Lawn Soultions WB Aerator

Echo BP Sprayers
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the area, but it is probably more cost saving in Tulsa to just open the trailer up and take your chances. In the last 30 years I have had about 1k stolen off trucks or trailers. With that being said, In the last few years I lock things down and close things up. Still bothers me when a echo trimmer was stolen off the trailer about 5 years ago. So to me it bothers me to have things stolen, hard for me to let it go.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
every states laws are different regarding shooting.

in my state, i can walk through my front door and if i see a thief going through my desk drawers or walking out with my tv, i can shoot him and i would too.

if i come up to my car to find someone trying to break it open, i can shoot him and i would too.

if someone grabbed a trimmer from my trailer and started running, i can shoot him and i would too.

if i come home and see someone in the neigbors house stealing stuff i can go over there with my gun and shoot him and i would too.