Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Small engine class

I'm looking at taking a small engine class so I can learn how to troubleshoot in someone's yard if I break down? Can any one point me in the correct direction, I looked at the local community college but I didn't see anything like that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassTec View Post
I looked at the local community college but I didn't see anything like that.
I don't believe you'd find it under "small engine", This is a college...... Look for Golf Course Equipment Management or other fancy headings.

You might check with local high schools, Many moons ago I attended a Technical Trade high school from grades 10 to 12...... But the best learn'n is hands on......

Good Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My advice is much like Rob's. Being in the St. Louis vicinity, I'd think there should be several post high school Vocational Technical schools in the area--look around a bit to see what they may have to offer. Most of the Vo-Tech schools I'm familiar with offer night classes as well.

Last edited by dutch1; 02-20-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you want to learn at your own speed...there are a lot of books you can read..
Most of what you will learn in the schools...other than the Briggs and Kohler factory schools...is somewhat antiquated..
Mostly technology from the last century...While understanding the basics builds a good foundation for your studies..it probably won't help too much when diagnosing these newer emmision compliant engines..They're different....
If you have good mechanical skills...it may serve you well to spend a month or two researching the archives on this forum..there's a ton of good useful information that is mower and engine specific...and its Free...
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best of luck

Best of luck with your search. I am in upper East Tennessee. I can't find one class, vocational school, technical school, community college, university, or otherwise. I have learned more on this site in a few month than I have in six years of mowing. Restro Rob and Piston Slapper are really knowledgeable and have allot of helpful responses.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
I don't believe you'd find it under "small engine", This is a college...... Look for Golf Course Equipment Management or other fancy headings.

You might check with local high schools, Many moons ago I attended a Technical Trade high school from grades 10 to 12...... But the best learn'n is hands on......

Good Luck
x2 Experience is the best teacher. You tube is also a great source of info.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123hotdog View Post
Best of luck with your search. I am in upper East Tennessee. I can't find one class, vocational school, technical school, community college, university, or otherwise. I have learned more on this site in a few month than I have in six years of mowing. Restro Rob and Piston Slapper are really knowledgeable and have allot of helpful responses.
PennFoster has a nice online program. I did it about 7 years ago just to reinforce what I already knew. I did need some additional education with electrical issues and it did help out a bit. I can't think of anybody that wouldn't benefit from additional education.

http://www.pennfoster.edu/smallengine/

Old 02-23-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Along the lines of what 'Slapper said: Just enter the make of your engine in the "search " area below yer name in the "Welcome" panel, and study up on whats avail here for free. Lot of good info to be had.

You'll find videos on youtube that covers a lot of stuff, but I gotta tell ya, most of the vids I've looked at are not all that good or accurate! But I'm sure you can glean sumpin' from em.

......AMF!