Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Property Preservation?

I was contracted by a property preservation company for lawn care. I know it is all sub work but has anyone done work for these companies? Is is worth it? I am always sketchy about sub work, what are your thoughts?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my experience with it. I met a guy who was mowing a lawn next to the one I was doing. It was a bank owned home and he worked for a property preservation company. We talked for a few and he pretty much told me he had pictures of every angle of the lawn before and after and had to have his wife there to take during pictures to prove he was actually cutting the grass. The lawn was about three feet high and all he had was a cub cadet residential push mower and a troy bilt weed eater. No edging or even blowing is required but mowing and weed eating around the house is.

He said the pay is different on each lawn because they're all different sizes and its impossible to get a decent route because every day they give you a different list of lawns to cut.

I just don't think its worth it imo. I'm sure he goes through blades like crazy since the lawns are so high and its hard to see objects and just on the lawn I saw him cut he hit tons of stuff.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks that is what i figured i dont plan in replacing my mower anytime soon so mowing 3ft lawns isnt for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a nightmare. Thirty pics ridiculous demands. I tried it. Never again unless its direct with bank. Too many hands in the cookie jar with these preservation companies. A lot of times banks subs it to big pres company who subs it to regional who subs it to l.c.o. And they want to pay 20 per yard to mow hayfields and they are all taking a cut there's no money left for lawn company. Run.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I do 100+ bank lawns per week, once you get the hang of what they want you can do very well. If you cannot adapt and overcome you will not succeed. If you do go forward use a camera with a 640 setting and get MS streets and maps to set your routes, which are always different. I just saved you hours of time and frustration.... you're welcome. Oh yeah, the majority of the lawns are not 12"+, but if they are you can just take pics and bid to do them.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to Agree B-I-L
I Have been doing Property Preservation for a few years and they are my biggest client
right at a Hundred thousand a year
They require you to cut every week and the pay is 4 weeks out then a weekly ck
But My guys go thru cameras
best buy has best warranty and no hassle when you bring one in
thats been ran over
Old 03-01-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive been doing preservation for about 6 years now and we work all year round doing lock changes, winterizations, grass cuts, debris removal, etc. I have to say this is way more profitable than just cutting for regular residential customers. The real question is how many middlemen are involved in the account you are looking at the more the less you make. Alot of these companies are trying to get people to do them for nothing. You can also do them by yourself just take a pic of the grass coming out of she discharge, the trimmer head spinning, and the blower. My company has done as many as 300 cuts in a week at a minimum of 45.00 a cut most are around 60.00. I wear a camera around my neck and just flash pics as i go. The banks pay hud price minus a discount to the national then the regional takes their discount then you get paid. Alot of these companies are trying to pay people 25.00 a cut and to me thats a joke. Good thing about it is theres no customer there talking your head off its in and out.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Who are your contracts with? (Just curious) I have been working for MCS for 3 years and it works out pretty well. The main thing you have to remember is you have to take the good with the bad. Some yards are garbage and the pay sucks. Other times you'll get away with robbery. Example: December of 2012 I was paid $2600 to mow 5 acres of 6' tall grass. Paid someone $300 to do it with a bush hog and made $2300 for taking pictures.

4 man operation

Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I have talked to a few of them and the said it is $20 the first cut and $15 after that and its all bi weekly I each company is different but the 2 or 3 I have spoke to that was there prices
Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats becuase you are speaking to regionals not national if you wanna make good money you have to get in with a national. Companies I work for are MSI, americas infomart, NFN, and u.s. best.