Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Freaking John Deere 930/950 A vs. M vs. R

I went into my JD dealer looking to buy a 950 to find they moved away from the 950A to this B,M, and R class crap.

First let me tell you what I want
72" deck
foot deck lift
foot parking brake
31hp engine (old rating)/27hp new rating
roller striping kit

pretty simple eh?

Get there to find no 950B,ok no prob. No 72" 950M...err ok so how about a 950R, great, but no foot deck lift, AND on the new mower no roller striper!!! Ill you this thing on every single lawn, even the postage stamp ones and the nice big roller acts as a great anti scalp wheel. Only the rubber strip striper. Also would have to pay for the confort and convienace package and the push button deck lift. Its nice, but cant be modulated, either all up or all down, not in between to use on unlevel terrian and hill crests ect like I could do with a foot lift.
Found and option, 930M with a 950 carb. (same block) dealer is ok with that no warrenty issues, but then Im stuck with a freak hand brake, can order parts and covert it.
Deal also has 2012 930A demo from last year with 250h for 8000 vs 11000 for the 950R or 9500 for the 930M (plus upgrades. The 930A can have a roller striper and the 950 carb can fit for extra hp, but its a democ, and a decent amount of hour to have been abused by a good number of people, and has sat outside for over a year now, though it will have a warrenty

thoughts?
im so fustrated and pissed. Why the fudge can I just effin order a damn mower with the feature I want like I have in the past with Hustler and Exmark. This isnt a freakin BMW or Merceds with all the various classes and crap. This isnt that hard, deck size, engine size, extra features that I want and dont want, assemble it and freaking ship it to me like everyone else does.

Also, worth a mention the 900A mowers had the cross ported hydro system that JD now has desided not to offer on the B and M mowers, only the R....so they have essentually devolved unless you want a bunch of other crap to go with your mower. They also went from 12mph to 10mph for the B and M, 12 again for the R
Sounds like sadly to get a mower I want I can either buy old, buy a class down and build up, or over pay and buy crap I dont want and will cause me problems.

ARGH!!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Went to get z925 or z930 last week and found out the same thing. Want my same way with foot park brake, and manual deck lift. How much did they say to swap out parking brakes? Some dealers told me the m series is cross ported some say it isnt. The worst part is dealers know nothing about these mowers, dont have but maybe one or two, and have no idea how soon you can get one. Would have just kept one of my old ones if I knew it would be this hard.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Ill be gettng the pricing on Friday, looks simple and easy, but I'm sure will be a couple hundred :-\ better than scalping the crap outta the law and losing a client. The 950 carb for a 930 is only like $350 though :-)
And only the A and Rs have the cross port, you can easily see which by just by lifting the seat and looking down there. That sucks your dealer isn't well stocked, mine has litterly hundreds of mowers out back, about 30 demos from 2012 and already over 20 2013 uncrated and running, even more still in the crates.

I hope john deere talks to their dealers, salemen, and clients. Maybe when they realize they are not selling 13k mowers because of something so stupid like a foot peddle, brake, deck or engine options being limited only by their stupid class series bs, they will change....but knowing deere, probualy not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

dc33: I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2011 925a with a 27hp engine and want to trade for a 2013 925m efi. The dealer is telling me that the 2013 is only a 24.5 hp engine. Does anyone know about this new hp rating, how that engine would compare to my 2011?
2001 Peterbilt Model 330

http://andyslawnservice.com
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know exactly how you feel. I have been saying the same thing about Deere on here for over a year now. Their stupid bean counters always screw things up for us. Deere will come out with something great, then after a year or three when they figure they have people hooked and not paying enough attention, they find a way to cheapen it up under the guise of "upgrading" it for our convenience. Yeah, right.

I bought a Z950 with 60"MOD last year and I'm glad I got it when I did. I have run all Deere almost exclusively for many, many years too. My shop is full of their stuff. They make good stuff, and I love their tractors, but I hate the company itself and I won't be going back to Deere for my next mower because of the way they do things.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy'slawncare View Post
dc33: I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2011 925a with a 27hp engine and want to trade for a 2013 925m efi. The dealer is telling me that the 2013 is only a 24.5 hp engine. Does anyone know about this new hp rating, how that engine would compare to my 2011?
It is the exact same engine and power as before, only now they are rated at their true HP. Before they were using a different system that allowed them to exaggerate the HP. The new system is verified through and independant source and rated at their true HP. The only thing that has changed is the rating system. Everything else is the exact same- same power, same torque you have had on your machine.

The EFI is a Kohler, and they are now rated at 24.7 HP under the new J1995 rating system.
Learn more here-
http://www.kawasaki-criticalpower.com/
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Ridin' Green;4682744]It is the exact same engine and power as before, only now they are rated at their true HP.QUOTE]

Thanks for your help just wanted to know for sure that it would be the same hp output.
2001 Peterbilt Model 330

Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No problem. It'll be the same engine(s) they've been using.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i was looking at some videos about all the new b,m,r stuff. i got my mower 2 years ago. it was $7900. i have alot of the features of the high end r mower on mine like foot parking brake, cross porting between hydro pumps, etc. the only thing i don't have is the c and c package which i think is stupid to have anyways. you can reach over and shut the pto off just as easy as pressing a button on the levers. also the foot deck lift pedal isn't hard to push or anything and it's better than pushing a button. to me that button stuff is just something that can break over time but to each their own. the only thing i like about the c and c package is the angle of the levers. i would like to have that. anyways i later added a suspension platform for the seat to my mower that i bought off of ebay.

the problem is now you have to buy the top of the line r version to get some of the features i have on mine. basically if i were gonna buy one now i would want an r version without the c and c package. i would want the cross porting and foot brake.

i would get the m series if i bought one now. i guess the hand brake is ok so that's not that big of an issue. you can get the suspension seat on the m series as well. the only thing i think that's not on the m series is the cross porting on the hydros and the c and c package.

Last edited by weeze; 02-21-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
the only thing i think that's not on the m series is the cross porting on the hydros and the c and c package.

Jason.
I don't believe on the 2011 model I have cross porting. Just wondering if there is a noticeable difference to a machine without?
2001 Peterbilt Model 330