Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

170 DRIVEWAYS A NIGHT EACH! Wow. I wonder what his revenue stream must be? We need more guys like this at the forefronts of our industry instead of the joe blows who just know how to mow grass. Good on you for actually taking notes from him and innovating it. I say stay close to what he's up to and learn.

What response rate do you think he generates from triple drops on 100,000 homes? Cause Im going to be doing the exact same in a couple weeks.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyLawnCare View Post
170 DRIVEWAYS A NIGHT EACH! Wow. I wonder what his revenue stream must be? We need more guys like this at the forefronts of our industry instead of the joe blows who just know how to mow grass. Good on you for actually taking notes from him and innovating it. I say stay close to what he's up to and learn.

What response rate do you think he generates from triple drops on 100,000 homes? Cause Im going to be doing the exact same in a couple weeks.
Just talked to my flier guy and he snowplows for this company to get some money on the side. He says they put out 50,000 a wk and he gets approximately 100-150 calls per time. Obviously the response rate is going to be different in different areas, but if you are putting out 300,000 fliers, 900 calls would be the response I would expect. That's only a .3% response rate which is still pretty low. Are you ready to get 1000+ calls? Lol
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Btw, most of the 170 drives are just regular double drives that take approx. 1 minute with a swing wing and front blade. The going rate around here is 200 per season for a drive which def. is pretty low but that is how he has obtained this many drives. I have seen this company crank out 5-10 on one street before, it's insane! 1200 drives x 200 is still around 250,000 gross, and my guess is that most winters he makes about 40% profit.
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLC View Post
Just talked to my flier guy and he snowplows for this company to get some money on the side. He says they put out 50,000 a wk and he gets approximately 100-150 calls per time. Obviously the response rate is going to be different in different areas, but if you are putting out 300,000 fliers, 900 calls would be the response I would expect. That's only a .3% response rate which is still pretty low. Are you ready to get 1000+ calls? Lol
How are we going to put 300,000 flyers out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLC View Post
Your damn right i am brotha! Haha. I know for a fact that there is HEAPS of work out there ready to be serviced and I know that I will get a large amount of calls.

I'm hiring telemarketers who are willing to work on a commission basis of $30 per closed sale call. What percentage of those sales do you reckon would be closed? I've heard 50%, 60%, hell even 70%. Considering the people that I am targeting have a lot of disposable income and live in high income areas (From my research when targeting the suburbs).. I'd say price won't be a problem (THANK GOD.).
Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
How are we going to put 300,000 flyers out
Posted via Mobile Device
Hire a bunch of people willing to do it on a commission basis (it works, really. Just put a reasonable price on each sale).

That or go to a distributing company (if you have heaps of money to spend)

Or pay some kids minimum wage.

Theres always going to be an easier way to do things. (That goes for life and business).
Old 02-23-2013, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyLawnCare View Post
Hire a bunch of people willing to do it on a commission basis (it works, really. Just put a reasonable price on each sale).

That or go to a distributing company (if you have heaps of money to spend)

Or pay some kids minimum wage.

Theres always going to be an easier way to do things. (That goes for life and business).
... So wait, your talking commission. How much per landed client? 300? 200? Because putting out 300,000 fliers is A LOT of work. I mean hell that's more than half of the population of a town such as Birmingham or Saint Louis almost.

So for that much work, you are going to have to pay high premiums for landed jobs.

Just trying to follow you here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Member

300,000 "flyers" divided by 25 people. 12,000 flyers per person. $75-$100 PER sale. Like I said before, if I can get 25 people to accept that deal.. then you can too bro. I don't think I have to pay "high premiums" at all lol, just $75-$100 is fine.

Cheers
Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

75-100 would not fly here IME.

How long have you been in business?

I'm not your typical lawn guy pal. 23 years old. Been in business 4 years. 2013 will be my second FULL TIME season.

I have a bachelors degree from SIU in business administration with emphasis in marketing. I'm no idiot and neither are a lot of the guys on here. Not everyone here is here to debate mower colors. But your setting yourself up to be royally let down. If your wanting a business where you do hardly any of the work to get things going, and still keep 30% in profit... Then you have leaned the ladder on the wrong house.

All I'm thinking is don't go get 300,000 flyers yet. Sample it with 25,000. Just don't jump off the dock until the boat pulls all the way up.

Just because you can buy 9 gallons of mustard doesnt mean it won't spoil before you use it all.

Need another analogy?

Even at 900 landings, do you have the $9,000 cash to pay these guys? Plus purchase the flyers? Even if they only cost 3¢ each that's what? Another $9,000?

Just not following.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

.. Those guys will quit after one day of walking and you not getting a call.
Posted via Mobile Device