Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you work "In" your business or "On" your business?

What I mean is:

Can your business function without you there?

Or

Does every part of your business need to you to be there EVERY time because you need to perform every JOB?

Do you work for your business?

Or

Does your business work for you?

Do you work 80hr weeks?

Or

Do you enjoy normal work hours with time for family and friends?

Just thoughts......
Old 02-21-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

At times all the above.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post

At times all the above.
Same here depends on the day/week.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post

What I mean is:

Can your business function without you there? Basic tasks yes provided proper planning happens and i expect high overhead with small profit margins, but yes they can function on their own to a degree

Or

Does every part of your business need to you to be there EVERY time because you need to perform every JOB? every job no - a number of complicated jobs yes, and requires me to stay on top of anything that is outside the box, or needs special attention

Do you work for your business? i do billing and estimating, i do snow, the days of me mowing lawns are pretty much over

Or

Does your business work for you? no comment

Do you work 80hr weeks? well thats hard to track. durin the season i work 5 days per week 9 hour days at the shop, I then come home and may or may not do another 2 on the computer

Or

Do you enjoy normal work hours with time for family and friends? I take my weekends off 90% of the time. I dont get up early as much, and I dont work as late. im never really in the off position however

Just thoughts......
interesting topic
Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll add a final thought

Do you have an exit strategy?

I'm not looking for answers really, just getting people to think and relate their experiences......

There are companies on here where there are both the people who work IN their business and those who work ON their business. The ON their business tends to be, in my eyes, the more successful. And I don't just mean dollars.....

Last edited by MDLawn; 02-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Since Im Solo I am in reality MY BUSINESS, I do not generally work 80 hour weeks. I see once the fellers get big, there alaways in a rush and wont spend 5 seconds to even say hi.

There used to be afeller on here from Dallas who had multible crews and was extremely well organized.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

good Post Last year I finally hired a driver and started letting my guys do more work on there own,This year I plan on hiring another driver and maybe a office person. So slowly but surely I am trying stop working in the business

I just read the E myth for the landscape Contractor and it talked about working on your business instead of in your business.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I always answer the phone, but I can do that from anywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is too many questions hahaha

Can your business function without you there?
Yes and no. I can send guys out to go mow lawns. A lot of my customers don't like this, because as I have built my business starting out from scratch, a lot of these people that I've had for years are used to seeing ME pull up and cut the lawn, even though in the last couple years I have almost always had someone with me, I was still there and if there was a question or a problem, they could come outside and talk to ME. I think its hard for a lot of them to accept that I'm not there as much anymore, although my employee that I now have heading up the mowing operation has been working at my side for the last 2 years and knows the equipment, the properties and the people. In the same boat, I can also send the guys out to go weed flower beds and trim boxwoods and throw mulch. They don't need me to do that. And if theres a question I'm just a phone call away and I've even had them text me pictures of whatever the question is about and we can usually resolve it without me having to go over there. Bigger landscape jobs I am always there. I'm the one putting the plants in the ground and directing the show. I feel that is where my time is best spent.

Does every part of your business need to you to be there EVERY time because you need to perform every JOB?
I guess I kinda answered this question in the previous one, but to re-iterate, yes and no. Like I said, I can send them to do various jobs and tasks which I know they do NOT need me there to do. Now, keep in mind that I do not have a set schedule every day of every week, so if we have a big landscaping job going on one week, I'll try to schedule that around so I can be on that and the "mowing crew" is doing the bread and butter lawns that they can just go and do and theres no issues or questions. On days when the high-end, zero tolerance lawns are being done I will run with the mowing crew and send the landscape crew to go weed beds and trim shrubs (keep in mind 90% works out with the schedule because the caliber of lawn pretty closely corresponds to the area of town that we're in so we don't back-track as much as it sounds like).

Do you work for your business?
On paper yes I am employee of the business. And not a day goes by that I don't get my hands dirty, and I wouldnt have it any other way I never want to wear a polo shirt and khaki pants and spend my whole day talking to customers and sitting in an office.

Does your business work for you?
I'm a firm believer in the "you get out what you put in" theory

Do you work 80hr weeks?
Sometimes...but again a lot of it is my choice. I could spend 2 days a week just sitting in my office but I dont want to do that. Obviously the spring and fall are bussier than ther dead heat of summer but you have to remember we sit around a lot in the winter (especially the way the last couple winters have been)...its the nature of this business. A lot of the equipment maintenance and repair type stuff (shop work) I actually enjoy doing, so a lot of times I don't really consider that to be "work" as much as some people. A lot of times my buddies will swing by the shop (or my house when I had all my stuff there) and hang out, have a few beers maybe get some food and work on stuff or do whatever.

Do you enjoy normal work hours with time for family and friends?
Yes and no.....I am not the type to sit around and be a couch potato. A lot of what I do with my friends is spontaneous "hey you wanna go grab a few beers after work?" type thing and I like it that way. I have drill every wednesday night at the fire hall, and a good majority of the guys that work for me are also firemen (some in the same dept as me, some in neighboring ones) and everyones drills are on wednesday night, so we just don't work late wednesdays. I also play in a band, and if the band has a show or practice, then we finish up in time for me to get to that. If I have to run out in the middle of the day for something, so be it but very rarely will I leave early and make them finish up the job by themselves at the end of the day. If we have to work on Saturdays, we work on saturdays but again, its the nature of the business.

Do You Have an Exit Strategy?
No, not really. There are very few jobs that could come up (that probably wont) which would be worth me giving up what I do. I love what I do and try to do as much as possible to avoid digging myself into debt so if things really go south I can just scale back comfortably and ride out the storm without having to float a lot of debt along.

Right now, I'm 26, married but don't have any kids, and am in pretty good shape. Ask me these questions in 10 years and I will probably have different answers for you. The whole being done with work at 5 and going home to sit on the couch thing will probably sound a lot better the older I get. Like I said a lot of this I do because this is what I want to do. It's a different world in the this industry than it was 10, 15, 20 years ago. Like I said, you get out what you put in....

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHlandscaping View Post
good Post Last year I finally hired a driver and started letting my guys do more work on there own,This year I plan on hiring another driver and maybe a office person. So slowly but surely I am trying stop working in the business

I just read the E myth for the landscape Contractor and it talked about working on your business instead of in your business.
Great book. Just finished it..... Good to know you're finding this success.
Posted via Mobile Device