Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think we all realize we as owners still play a large role in our businesses. You don't just sit with your feet up on the desk sipping a 100 year old scotch. And you don't take a vacation in the middle of the peak parts of the year. I guess more of the owners who cannot give up the "operator" position vs those who spend time on improving processes, etc.... You're always working on and occasionally in the business. But I'm assuming lots of us would like to pursue getting out of the field completely.

But again I like all of the responses so far. I don't want this to turn into one side is right and the other wrong. More just showing how people try and operate. For me I have zero interest in continuing to be the typical owner operator. There is a hard and flat ceiling working that way....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

@ dnc

How many years did it take before you stepped out of the field?

What percent is maintenance vs. Install?

Also do you have dedicated office people?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In my opinion it takes working in your business to be good at working on your business. The problem is some never make the transition out of the field. My personal business plan has me exiting the field in 5 years. Maybe less. That point will mark 10 years since my business has been my fulltime and only job. My business was part time for many years before then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
@ dnc

How many years did it take before you stepped out of the field?

What percent is maintenance vs. Install?

Also do you have dedicated office people?

Thanks
i was in the field for about 3 yrs before i let my helper take over the mowing route. I then started doing landscape jobs by myself or with helpers. Eventually expanded to more crews.

about 40% maintenance 60% install (mostly hardscapes)

I have a girl who answers the phone and does my books april-august, after that I forward the phone to my cell and i do the books.

You guys who are growing will find out that finding GOOD help will be your biggest obstacles to growth.

I have grown a decent operation up here in NY but I am selling soon to move south and start over down there. Cant take the snow anymore.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where in NY?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Im in Syracuse not too far from you. 18 yrs of plowing has burned me out.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyLawnCare View Post
Here's the thing, MD.

In this world (preferably the business world) there are winners and losers. JUST know this: You might be exiting out of the rat race of the corporate life when you start your own business... but know this -- > Your entering a whole new rat race in itself which is business. Do you want to be a sole proprietor/mom n' pop shop that closes down after 5 years like 70% of businesses? Do you want to end up like one of those companies that only make a profit after a couple years? OR do you want to be an entrepreneur and be a success?

A famous multi billionaire who I can't seem to remember his name said when asked his advice to be successful was these words: "Do things different, whatever everyone else is doing.. do it differently. I say that over and over again but no one ever listens."

You see MD, most lawnies are sheep/apart of a rat race. When you start making your business work FOR YOU and setting SYSTEMS/PROCESSES/OUTSOURCING/ETC into your company.. that is when you become a WOLF. Do you want to work banker hours for a 50k pay check or do you want to work part time mcdonalds worker hours to make a 500k pay check? The choice is really yours and anyone who tells you the same old bs "its too hard!!" "you can only have a successfully multi million dollar company by the time your 60!!!" "you have to save up and be frugal!!!" , etc. Anyone who tells you that stuff clearly does not know what they are talking about because there are HEAPS of entrepreneurs out there who are making money as they sleep from working SMART, not HARD.

If your working for your business, rather then it working for you: You don't have the right to call yourself a businessman or entrepreneur. Like i said before, what do you want to be?

Wolf or Sheep?
The bold statement is golden. I cant stand the morons that say you cant become rich from a certain business. And that it takes until you're 60.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Lol yeah. People who say these things most of the time have too much of a hard-on for grass and not enough motivation in actually expanding/monopolising.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sydney I hope you achieve your dreams. I believe anything is possible. But you really should do it before you tell the rest of us how wrong we are.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

subscribing....good stuff.