Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Suggestions for my website?

I've been working on my website on and off for about a year now, my own design with my brother doing the HTML. I want to really get it tweaked to drive me some business this year. Anyone have any comments or suggestions for me?
http://www.snowhillinc.com

Thanks,
Matthew Snyder
President
Snow Hill Inc.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Over 60 views and nobody has any constructive criticism for me? I know it can't be that good..... : ), unless you're all taking my ideas and implementing them on your own pages first, lol. Anybody?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snydermf View Post
Over 60 views and nobody has any constructive criticism for me? I know it can't be that good..... : ), unless you're all taking my ideas and implementing them on your own pages first, lol. Anybody?
Sorry it took so long,I was copying and pasting everything onto my site.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Overall looks pretty good. However I'd consider reversing the colors (make white part green/green part white) or at least adjusting the black on green font. Some people will find it difficult to read.

For SEO purposes your home page needs more content, even just a short paragraph describing the 3 main pages of your site would help. Your pages also need better headings (the landscaping and snow removal don't even have one) relating to your keywords.

Really like the request an estimate form on every page (I do the same), after all - the primary goal of a website is to get potential customers in touch with your business, everything else is secondary. That said you could use some kind of call to action (do you do any promos for new customers?). Also, you might want to consider requiring the property address, this can allow you to check out the property on google maps before you talk to the customer.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll work on getting some of those implemented hopefully this week. Any other thoughts? I'm planning to add another page titled "Our Team" with brief bio's and photos, of myself and our employees, and other pages you would recommend?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Have any of you checked out the mobile page? any suggestions for that?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's very clean and easy to navigate. The front page definitely needs a little more content. Give people a reason to spend at least few seconds considering you.

Your address is on the "About Page"- good. But even better, put it in your footer with your name and number. Use the generator at http://www.microdatagenerator.com/ to mark it up. This will be great for your local SEO.

If you want more SEO tips use the tool at http://www.pineberry.com/en/analysis-tool/ to analyse each page.

The "our team" page is a good idea. Put a face on your company.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to make quite a few revisions, hopefully in the next day or two and I'll post back here when they are up, hopefully you guys will do me the favor of checking it out again then. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Made some changes and revisions, what do you guys think? Any suggestions for how to make it even better or comments on the changes?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your site is looking good. A few visual and under-the-hood changes could still be made. Starting at the top...

- There is a ton of open white space in the banner. As you work the site, and add photos, that might be an area you can kick the visual appeal up a notch or two. Definitely get some local info up there, such as your primary service area(s).

- The email and phone fonts are really small and don't have the visual impact they could.

- Be careful with openly using your email address on there, especially as a mailto: as that's the first marker spam bots look for when harvesting email addresses. Google "email obfuscator" and you'll find some workarounds.

- Sweep for punctuation. I see some missing apostrophes and commas.

- When you direct people to email you, such as in the content, include an email or form link.

- Watch the city/zips in the footer. That does hit Google's spam radar. If you really want to target a variety of locations, come up with a pages for each of those area, have the content be unique to each page, and finesse your tags accordingly.

- Lawn Care page: You can definitely get descriptive for your visitors (and the search engines).

- Content Links: I see the links look the exact same (black font), albeit with a black underscore. Maybe mix up the colors a bit so they are better seen as links and not just the more typical, black, underlined text.

- I'm finding the black font on green background to become a bit of a tedious read. This happens with a lot of the deeper background colors and, from a usability standpoint, has never fared well. At the top of you content areas, I have no problem reading, where the text is on the top of your gradient, but as I read further, in to the dark green, I'm pretty much losing focus.

- Landscaping Page: I like that you've used before & after pics. One thing I'm not understanding is the volume of info you've used, not as page content, but in the image alt tags. No reason to bury that out of sight, although some of the descriptions might be a bit too descriptive. "Bob, seen here shoveling only the best, all-organic manure fertilizer available to civilians, resplendent in a brown, Carhartt jacket, the finest of denim jeans by Mr. Levi Strauss, himself, and exquisitely crafted, leather Boots de Red Wing...". From a sense of humor standpoint, if you want to jack it up a notch, I like the idea of going over the top. lol

- Gallery image interaction is different than the standard you set on the Landscaping page. If you're going to have similar elements on different pages, be consistent in how they work.

- Read the SEO guides I've linked in other reviews and then take another pass at your H tags, Title tags, etc. Your Title tags are almost twice as long as they should be and you're taking up valuable space with using your personal names. You've put your names in the Meta Descrip as well. While not a huge deal there, I'm more unsure of their relevance for inclusion.

Don't waste time on Meta Keywords. They haven't been used in a decade.

Questions, just yell.

Tony

Last edited by tonygreek; 03-06-2013 at 11:38 PM.