Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessor...mer-head-t35x/
I like every thing about this one. Shaft is 10mm left hand.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

FS-80R owner here:

While I've never tried a speed-feed head, I am impressed with the 32' of .095 line I can spool on to my Stihl stock head.
I'm a low rpm trimmer w/ no guard...and find a full spool can last me quite a while before having to respool.
The best trick for removing a Stihl standard head is to unclip=push in one tab at a time instead of trying to do both simultaneously.

Will try a speed feed head on my 'next' trimmer what/whenever it is needed.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticklelm View Post
I have a stihl fs 90r trimmer and i hate the head on it. its hard for it to unwind when you bump it. plus i hate taking the thing apart when i need to reload the string. I purchased the speed feed universal head thinking that it would work and go on just fine. but after numerous hours and taking it to my mechanic...i've found that its not made for my trimmer.

What do you guys like to use in regards to trimmers and heads? should i ditch my stihl trimmer and go with a redmax or echo? Thoughts?
personally I use the old fashioned bump head that I believe you are saying you hate. I find them extremely simple and quick to deal with. my trick is I don't jam pack them with line. I don't know they will actually hold but I cut two 8' lines. I always have 2 precut lines in my pocket. I probably fill the head once a day on average. sometimes it's during the working day while working. other times I finish the day then replace over night. but it takes me like a min to do since I'm prepared with line already cut.

one of my trimmers came with one of those heads you don't have to open. just stick the line in there and start winding. I really don't like it so its on my backup trimmer.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
Yes. My dealer said they are coming out with a new version of the speedfeed. He said he doubts it will be in his spring order. The durability should be a be a bit better. I love the speedhead as it loads so easily and quickly. The problem is that they wear out quickly. I always keep a spare in the truck during the season.
Posted via Mobile Device
The only part I've had wear out is the top cap (or whatever it's called), and I keep a spare one in the truck at all times.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The worst problem I have with the standard Stihl heads is that it get "gunked" up pretty quickly and I may have to clean it out once or twice a day. On the speed feed heads I've never really had one get "gunked" up since there is very little room for anything to get into the inner workings of the head.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never had my regular head gunk up at all. not enough to cause any problems anyway. I do clean the head periodically with a putty knife or something. scrape all that dried up grass out of there.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got the speed feed working on my 90r now. It'll be interesting to see if I like it better or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessor...mer-head-t35x/
I like every thing about this one. Shaft is 10mm left hand.
"The trimmer line is fed automatically when the head is pushed into the ground. This means that the user always controls when the line is fed and the line can be fed while working with the machine."

Ok, Husqvarana.. so, basically your head is just like every other bump head that allows for what you seemed to state as a new feature?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
"The trimmer line is fed automatically when the head is pushed into the ground. This means that the user always controls when the line is fed and the line can be fed while working with the machine."

Ok, Husqvarana.. so, basically your head is just like every other bump head that allows for what you seemed to state as a new feature?
I'm with you newz. sounds like every other standard bump head out there that's been on trimmers for YEARS.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I'm with you newz. sounds like every other standard bump head out there that's been on trimmers for YEARS.

This one fix every thing.
Has a capacity of 28 feet of .095" gauge line
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessor...5-tap-advance/

But the t35x has a ball bearing resting surface.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20UK1j09k9w

t35x is easy to reload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=H95aDNhqI44

Last edited by crazyflyboy30; 02-23-2013 at 11:21 AM.