Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
You think you can push up and move 6 acres of debris a day? (25 acres/ 4 days = 6.25 acres/day) I haven't walked the job to see how much debris is there but that seems like a very ambitious schedule to me if the site is covered completely in debris.
Good perspective andrew. Thanks buddy. The place im renting the T300 w/ root grapple is &1300 for the week Sunday to Sunday. So i can figure in use of the full 7day rental.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
this was my thought also, go through picking up the larger debris, (utility poles, larger fence post, 2x4s, any metal). the place im getting the t300 from, has a timberwolf mulcher head to go with it.
you might find something worthwhile in the trash something to recycle for $$$ or sell or use. I really think mulching that marsh grass will benefit you on time and hassle. Even if the mulcher does an awful job, it won't take long to mow 25 flat acres but I think it will reduce it just fine.

I attached a sample of the job I did 11 years ago. Look at that old technology but it worked. That's a small part of the clean up. I then mowed and cleaned up some of the save trees. Many are tangled with grapevines which we leave for wildlife but the underbrush, weeds, debris, logs, wire, trash, asphalt from the highway, etc., etc., got picked up and put into containers or mulched before the whole 10 acres got a good mowing.
Attached Images

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing

Last edited by YellowDogSVC; 02-22-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Some "out of the box ideas" would be to pickup all the large items. They mow it down with a brush hog or similar and rake it into rows like an alfalfa field and bale it. I dont know how that swamp grass would be to bale but if you could cut it and bale it you would have much fewer trips to haul off, all the debris trash would captured in the bale. Then throw the few bales you would have on a trailer and take them to the dump or where ever. We bale here using large 1 ton square bales but round bales would be fine to, whatever to minimize trips and contain all the paper debris.

My concern would be you have to clean the trash out somehow because once you run it through a mower of sometype you have debris everywhere.
I like that idea but have seen balers get stalled on small rocks much less driftwood or something hard. Good idea though. Guys are baling shreds here from large mulching jobs, hauling the tight bales and dumping them into tub grinders to make landscape mulch. they can stack a lot of bales on a flatbed and haul easily from the woods to a recycling facility.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-22-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

From advice, it seems my best plan of attack would be to pick out the larger debris, mulch the whole property(T300 w/ Timber Ax head)then bush hog with my tractor. Thanks for all the advice fellas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Jacob sorry for the late reply as I'm in Florida. I second what Andrew said. 1 week still seems ambitious for 25 or so acres. I know it can sometimes be exciting and overwhelming to price these types of jobs but don't cut or sell your self short. Also I wouldn't recomend using your truck and trailer hauling debris all over the property. It is a quick way to beat the truck up. All in all it sounds like a great job and that you have a solid plan in place , just don't under estimate the time it will take. I would go for 2 weeks to be safe ( ie weather, break downs etc)

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No problem Jacob. As you know, numbers are your best friend in this business. My estimate of time would be more along the lines of what Sean is thinking.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say light everything on fire in the classic Chris style

lol
Old 02-23-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sean, Andrew, Yellowdog, i really aprreciate the great advice and info from yall.
ive figured up a chaice of two plans of attack.
Plan #1: T300 w/ root grapple

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 02-23-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sean, Andrew, Yellowdog, i really aprreciate the great advice and info from yall.

Plan #1: T300 w/ root grapple to sort through the grass/debris picking out large items and recyclable material. them mulch the whole area using Timber Ax mulcher on the T300 to shred all the marsh grass/small debris into manageable pieces. then bushhog with my tractor to leave a cleanish (lol) cut .

Plan #2: T300 w/ root grapple to sort through the grass/debris picking out large items and recyclable material. Being the parish will pick up the debris, bring in a D3 Dozer and push all the marsh grass/debris to the road side. (issue with this there is a drainage ditch that runs the whole width of the property with only two 10' roads leading into the property) plus i would have to get the D3 trucked in. then bushhog the property after.

3days clearing property lines, around ponds, debris off house pad area, 3-4days mulching (divide whole site into sections, mulching one area at a time) 3days bushhogging & demobilization. so im at 10days so far.

so im going to figure machine rental off a two week time frame.
T300 w/ root grapple $1230/week. total $2460 for 14days
Timber Ax mulcher $300/day $900/week. Total $900/week.

D3 Dozer $325/day $975/week (plus trucking fees) Total $1950 for 14days(trucking fees not included).

still have to figure fuel and oil/hydro fluid. plus my profit

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Plan #1: T300 w/ root grapple
Glad I could provide some help. You are doing my favorite type of work.. clean up.. but we don't have a lot of marsh grass down here in dusty old central texas. Weeds and rocks, yes. After you do this, you will probably get more work than you can handle once you put your sign out there and get pics on your website.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing