Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yellowdog, based off the machine rental cost, could you pm me with what you think would be a fair total price for a job this size. Thanks for all the help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is the Timber Ax mulcher i plan to run on the T300.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So far pricing wise im at $3360 in rental cost for T300 w/ root grapple for 2weeks and the Timber Ax mulcher for one week. I figured 100gals of diesel @ $5gal(fill my transfer tank in my truck) so in machine rental/fuel im at $3900. Plus $1250 for the final bushhogging, and say myself as the equip operator at $300/day for 2weeks $4200. So im at a total of $9350.00 for the two weeks jobs, comes out to be $668/day or approx $375/acre. Do you feel like im in the ball park?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did you figure in wear/tear maintenance on your machines and vehicles? Tires, brakes, hyd lines, windows, oil, fuel filters, oil filters, air filters, cutting edge, and teeth, permits aren't free when you have to replace or pull them them. And your time it takes to perform the tasks. Even if you're renting I still think about it in my price. I have a buddy that ALWAYS comes in low to get the job, he pays his bills but doesn't have much left over for him after the fact. What's the point of working for free?

100 gallons seems way too low for what you are doing. I burn through 80 gallons in 3 days with my DX180 on average and my T770 is about 50 gallons a week but I really don't use it all that often, especially not running all day long clearing with a big attachment up front. I have gone through a full tank in the T770 in a day loading sand/boulders and fill. The 80+ hp machines can burn the fuel when at full tilt.

Sure you are renting but what if you had a payment to make on the T300 and attachments? I don't normally do clearing jobs but it really doesn't seem that you are leaving much if any wiggle room for breakdowns or unknowns that come up, they are unknown's and they could leave you upside down or regretting taking a job.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the advice, Advanced.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Thanks for the advice, Advanced.
Posted via Mobile Device
No problem, glad you ignored my first post of burning ... I completely missed the part that you couldn't because of the EPA and oil contamination.

Even if you figured 300/day for operating... say a hose blew. Usually a hose for me is 50-70 bucks to replace depending on the fittings and length. That's figuring I have the correct hose with me (I almost always have spares for the lines near the end of the stick or attachment) They can get up there. With mulching and stuff flying everywhere and debris those hoses could get caught as well. Also if you have to go get one made that's at least 2 hours down by the time you get back and swap it out. What if they are out of the fitting you need? It's happened to me before more than once because other people are breaking and replacing hoses too.

Heck last clearing job I did was 2 acres and I walked the entire property for debris that would wreck the blades on my rented mower. Someone decided to throw some angle iron in the tall grass and I found it. If I hadn't (which is usually the case) it would have been some major blade damage and down time to fix it. Also wouldn't have a hose with me because it was a rental and I was out in the middle of nowhere it would have taken at least 3 hours.

That's what I personally focused on last year, cutting my down time and breakdowns by working smarter/having spares and not running around with my head cut off for things I needed but didn't have on hand. It paid off very well when going back and figured out how efficient walls went up as far as sq ft placed per hour/day/week.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I actually walked about half of this property(not fun). Thats how i found the utility poles. Lol. So if i double my fuel usage and bump the per acre price to $500 im looking a two week job total of $13,000.00. It seems like a large number but i have to keep reminding myself that its 25/acres.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Krazy,

I forgot to add in my note to you that our T770 (and the T320 before it) burn about 5 gal/hr of diesel when working hard (running at full throttle). Over 80 hrs of work (2 weeks), I would expect to see about 400 gallons of diesel used so you might want to adjust your fuel number for that.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 02-24-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks andrew sent u a message back
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks to all the advice from yall on here. Seems tht mulching the grass isnt the greatest plan of attack due to the high chance of unknowns in the debris.

So here is what im thinking will be the best. Plan to put silt fence up around the ponds and line the two road entrances. (To make sure no debris goes into the ponds or drainage ditches along front the property. Divide the area into four sections. Clean one section at a time running debris to the road side. Separating recyclable material as i go. Then give the whole property a good bushhogging to shred any remaining marsh grass. No worries of sucking something metal or large into the mulcher. I figure this may allow me to work at a faster pace since i will be just grabbing a grapple full and hauling to road.
Posted via Mobile Device