Register free!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
Not sure where on their site it would be. I just got that from their professors and classes. Have a good spring
Uh Huh, bet your not out slinging pre-em this week like you had planned
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service 1st Lawn Care View Post
Uh Huh, bet your not out slinging pre-em this week like you had planned
No sir! Not without a paddle
Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
No sir! Not without a paddle
Just given ya crap. winters getting old now.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Not sure where on their site it would be. I just got that from their professors and classes. Have a good spring
I didt go to Purdue or Ohio State but I have read all their publications. Purdue recommends 3-4 apps max and Ohio State recommends 4.

I went to Morehead State and honestly I don't even remember discussing amount of apps.

Wonder why Scott's has a 4 step program and not a 6. Sounds like they may b leaving some money on the table.

The professors at Purdue must not be paying attention to their own data. Here is their bulletin.

extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/AY/AY-22-W.pdf

Last edited by rcreech; 02-27-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

funny you say that i had two people who called yesterday that were doing the scotts 4 step program on their lawns and they look horrible! I agree with 4 fertilizer applications but we have to have 2 summer weed controls here nutsedge, spurge, and oxalis seeem like they germinate every 2 weeks here. I could see where it could work in more northern climates....transition zone...no way!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

as far as mailers I am mailing out next week....was going to do 2 weeks ago but the weather has been crappy! hopefully it improves cause we need to start march1 in order to get them down in time...thing about starting dates its hard to predict because the weather can turn in no time! Remember last year anyone?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper44 View Post
funny you say that i had two people who called yesterday that were doing the scotts 4 step program on their lawns and they look horrible! I agree with 4 fertilizer applications but we have to have 2 summer weed controls here nutsedge, spurge, and oxalis seeem like they germinate every 2 weeks here. I could see where it could work in more northern climates....transition zone...no way!
I have customers that have been getting 6apps and their lawn looked pathetic.
That's just it...you nailed it. It's not how many apps u get it's the quality of the apps.

As far as your Scotts comment thatd Not even a comparison

#1-Professional product are far superior to Scott's as far as quality and performance. Especially weed control.
#2 -Timing is huge- Have you ever known a home owner to apply at the right time let alone the right rate?
#3 - Just said it....rate!!!! Most homeowners apply either a 2x rate or half as much as they should. Rarely are they on the money.

Your telling me that if a lawn truly needed 6 apps that Scotts wouldn't capitalize on it?

Our lawns look awesome with 4 apps
Yes as you go South I am sure you can sneak a few more apps in
Ohio and Indiana 6-7 apps is just way to many

To each his own and I will steal 6-7 apps customers all day!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I have customers that have been getting 6apps and their lawn looked pathetic.
That's just it...you nailed it. It's not how many apps u get it's the quality of the apps.

As far as your Scotts comment thatd Not even a comparison

#1-Professional product are far superior to Scott's as far as quality and performance. Especially weed control.
#2 -Timing is huge- Have you ever known a home owner to apply at the right time let alone the right rate?
#3 - Just said it....rate!!!! Most homeowners apply either a 2x rate or half as much as they should. Rarely are they on the money.

Your telling me that if a lawn truly needed 6 apps that Scotts wouldn't capitalize on it?

Our lawns look awesome with 4 apps
Yes as you go South I am sure you can sneak a few more apps in
Ohio and Indiana 6-7 apps is just way to many

To each his own and I will steal 6-7 apps customers all day!
I don't want to get in the middle of an argument but Scotts fertilizer is not junk, and I don't know about other areas but around here they will sell you as many apps as you want up to a 10 visit program I believe and I am sure there are more than 4 fert apps within that.

Their plus program has eight visits that include fert and grub control. Theres more than four fert apps in there.

I have never seen a university say how many applications a lawn needs per year. I see lbs per thousand/acre per year recommendations but thats all they are is a recommendation.

Each lawn is different.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heres their Love Your Lawn Program for Michigan. It's an all fert/wc program. It is the second in a tier of four available programs.

Love Your Lawn

This program covers all the basics, and gives you everything you need for a thick, green lawn. It includes our complete TurfBuilder® Pro fertilization program (including Winterizer), Ortho® Weed B Gon® Pro the “best in class” weed control available, and our innovative Weed B Gon® EdgeGuard™* service. Also, included is our exclusive WaterSmart® formulation that improves your lawn’s ability to absorb water, nutrients and weed controls by up to 25%. *EdgeGuard not available in all markets

6 Total Treatments (6 remaining this year)
Unlimited free service calls for full program customers
Scotts LawnService Satisfaction Guarantee

Annual Lawn Service Program Cost

$306.00 per year based on avg. 4500 sq ft lot)
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heres the third tier Plus Program

Looks like 7 fert/wc apps and a grub.

Scotts Plus Program

Not only will this program provide everything your grass wants, it also provides what damaging insects and grubs don’t want. You’ll get Scotts® professional products and services like our complete TurfBuilder® Pro fertilizer, our exclusive WaterSmart® formulation, Ortho® Weed B Gon® Pro, and our unique Weed B Gon® EdgeGuard* service—plus Ortho® professional surface insect, and Scotts® GrubEx® Pro grub control. Result? Thick, green turf that isn’t “under attack.” *EdgeGuard not available in all areas.

8 Total Treatments (8 remaining this year)
Unlimited free service calls for full program customers
Scotts LawnService Satisfaction Guarantee

Annual Lawn Service Program Cost

$457.00 per year based on avg. 4500 sq ft lot)