Register free!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
I don't want to get in the middle of an argument but Scotts fertilizer is not junk, and I don't know about other areas but around here they will sell you as many apps as you want up to a 10 visit program I believe and I am sure there are more than 4 fert apps within that.

Their plus program has eight visits that include fert and grub control. Theres more than four fert apps in there.

I have never seen a university say how many applications a lawn needs per year. I see lbs per thousand/acre per year recommendations but thats all they are is a recommendation.

Each lawn is different.
I am talking about "Scott's 4 step program" at the big box stores not Scotts professional services.
I never said Scott's fert was junk either. I said that our professional product is better and granular weed control sucks.

I totally agree that it's not about the amount of apps! Again it comes down to the quality of the product. Look at the Duration product for example...it is called a 1 APP product.

If you look at the link I attached from Purdue you will see they recommend 3-4 fertilizer apps and say not to apply to a lawn under drought stress. Universities up here do state amount of applications and rates.

Last edited by rcreech; 02-27-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Then they have another deal thats the Plus with aeration and over seed.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I am talking about "Scott's 4 step program" at the big box stores not Scotts professional services.
I never said Scott's fert was junk either. I said that our professional product is better and granular weed control sucks.

I totally agree that it's not about the amount of apps! Again it comes down to the quality of the product. Look at the Duration product for example...it is called a 1 APP product.
Think of it as "Visits" You're a service. You show up once every 5 weeks and service the lawn with what it needs.

I won't argue with you. Four applications of full strength fert is more than enough to get the job done, I don't care where you live, but there are other reasons for visiting the property, providing a service and collecting a fee.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Think of it as "Visits" You're a service. You show up once every 5 weeks and service the lawn with what it needs.

I won't argue with you. Four applications of full strength fert is more than enough to get the job done, I don't care where you live, but there are other reasons for visiting the property, providing a service and collecting a fee.
That was said perfectly!!!
I agree with you but most 6-7 app companies apply product every visit wether it needs it or not. That is where I have got a problem.
No reason to apply anything during a three month drought and many do because it's "profitable".
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
That was said perfectly!!!
I agree with you but most 6-7 app companies apply product every visit wether it needs it or not. That is where I have got a problem.
No reason to apply anything during a three month drought and many do because it's "profitable".
Thank you. I'm here all week.

Hows your spring seeding schedule looking? Mines filling up fast. Fair amount of grub activity on lawns that either didn't order it or never watered it in and a couple guys that are OCD about bentgrass.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thank you. I'm here all week.

Hows your spring seeding schedule looking? Mines filling up fast. Fair amount of grub activity on lawns that either didn't order it or never watered it in and a couple guys that are OCD about bentgrass.

We set a new record last year seeding. Not sure we will be able to out do it. The drought really messed up a bunch of lawns. Some came back great and some didn't.

A few weeks ago we had 39 seedings on the books but since them we have done several dormant seedings and also picked up a several. Not sure where we are at now.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good point, Creech. And...it appears that a lot of seed will be going down this spring. Also fall--only worse. The seed crop was poor. So shortages of the best varieties will develop. Prices may spike up.
" Our shelves are stocked with the best and hardest-to-find superior seed varieties and turf fertilizer. Certain varieties, especially the elite tall fescue varieties, are in very limited supply this year. If you have a fall 2013 seeding project in mind, it would be prudent to order your seed this spring and store it in your garage so it is there for certain when you need it. We can't guarantee availability of our entire product line this fall."
Drew Kindle of Seed Superstore
and http://www.ngcoa.org/pageview.asp?doc=950

Last edited by RigglePLC; 02-27-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OP how did slinging yellow pre over snow work out for ya?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad we could successfully derail yet another good thread.
Now that is all settled, marketing?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Heres their Love Your Lawn Program for Michigan. It's an all fert/wc program. It is the second in a tier of four available programs.

Love Your Lawn

This program covers all the basics, and gives you everything you need for a thick, green lawn. It includes our complete TurfBuilder® Pro fertilization program (including Winterizer), Ortho® Weed B Gon® Pro the “best in class” weed control available, and our innovative Weed B Gon® EdgeGuard™* service. Also, included is our exclusive WaterSmart® formulation that improves your lawn’s ability to absorb water, nutrients and weed controls by up to 25%. *EdgeGuard not available in all markets

6 Total Treatments (6 remaining this year)
Unlimited free service calls for full program customers
Scotts LawnService Satisfaction Guarantee

Annual Lawn Service Program Cost

$306.00 per year based on avg. 4500 sq ft lot)
WOW! I guess that is 4500 ft of turf not 4500 ft of actual lot. Doesn't matter. That's still high. $51/App......and I agree. It is not the total number of apps that's important. Universities(at least ones in our part of the country) make recommendations based on total amounts of Nitrogen applied to a site per year. If they recommend 4lbs of N/1000/year, They aren't telling you you should put it out in 4-1lb/1000 apps.They don't care if you put it out in 8-1/2lb/1000 apps. Furthermore, While I include fertilizer in each of my apps, it isn't just Nitrogen and it isn't always a 1lb rate. Different times of the year require different rates and types of nutrients. One thing I've learned over the years is that each site is different and my program is never set in stone.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor