Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rungreen View Post
Dually and snow dont go well together. Did it for two years never again, was pulled out more than once by half ton trucks.
Maybe just in 2x4 without any weight in the bed.. Its just that the duallys need more weight to get the same amount of pressure on the tires on the ground than a single rear wheel will.

My one ton dump in 4x4 will plow through just about anything
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer
Old 02-23-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you want my truck. I have an 06 F350, regular cab w/ flatbed, 4x4. 9.5 V-plow on the front end during the winter. Had no problems w/ my engine. 229k miles so far. Average 80+ inches of snow a winter and no problems w/ getting around in the snow w/ a dually. I do have 1000 lbs of ballast.
30 years in business
Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watatrp View Post
Sounds like you want my truck. I have an 06 F350, regular cab w/ flatbed, 4x4. 9.5 V-plow on the front end during the winter. Had no problems w/ my engine. 229k miles so far. Average 80+ inches of snow a winter and no problems w/ getting around in the snow w/ a dually. I do have 1000 lbs of ballast.
I have your truck currently. Have the Boss v on it and rack body dump. 65,000 miles . Hi pressure oil system went once already, Having injecter problems now. Getting rid of it before it blows up. I too had no problem plowing with this truck. Was like a tank in the snow with a 1.5 yard sander on the back.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Spend 3k and get it bulletproofed and run it forever. You're not going to get out of it and into another truck and be ahead 3k
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I considered that. My good buddy has the exact same truck and thats we he is doing but he was quoted 7k for parts not including labor. Everything from head studs, egr delete, new oil system, and a bunch of other things I cant remember. Plus that doesn't count replacing the fuel tank because the factory ones are know for delaminating on the inside over time and messing up injecters and weak oil pan. From what I have been told from a couple of ford guys you have to pull the cab off the truck just to pull and change the oil pan. I just can't see dumping good money into bad. It's too bad too truck is paid off.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats way high, shop around. What parts cost 7k? Go to performance machine and manufacturing. Egr delete 250. Coolant filter 150. Oil cooler 500. Head studs and gaskets? Wheres the other 5k?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I dunno he went on powerstroke help or bulletproof diesel or something like that. With everything they were suggesting he do it was over 6k according to him. Oil pan scares me and so do the injecter issues. Funny thing is if you type in 6.0 ford diesel you read posts like time bomb waiting to go off and tons of stories with people spending thousands of dollars to fix them and still end up selling them. Trying to make a smart business decession and I'm thinking putting a bunch of money into this truck is not a good move.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck dilemma help

I suggest you go to bulletproof diesel yourself with the studs head gaskets, egr cooler, bp oil cooler and the professional install kit i paid 3800 in november last year. And you dont need to buy everything in one shot so its an easier pill to swallow.
I've read those posts as we and most have put tunes back in them and some have decided that that the maintenance schedule doest need to be followed closely if their is one engine that you cant prolong the schedule its the 6.0 psd.
Lastly the injectors are going out due to the high pressure oil pump which went out because the screen tore under the engine oil cooler because it clogged from anything from wrong oil to getting hot to waiting to long to change the oil.
The 6.0 is the domino effect engine if one thing in the oil system goes it takes out the others an sorry to say the hpop and injectors are the end of that chain.
The engine needs to come out for the oil pan replacement but id crawl under there and look at yours first if its not to bad scrap rust off and paint with por 15

The studs and gaskets can be put in with the engine in and cab on. But be prepared to be on your stomach the whole time and bent over. cab off is easier but it doesn't HAVE too be done.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Monroe,
I can appreciate what your saying. Even putting 4 grand into this truck for me is a tough pill to swallow. Don't get me wrong I love my truck just don't love all the problems associated with it. Also the fuel milage is horrible. I'm lucky to get 11MPG either towing or regular driving. Friend of mine with the a duramax 1 ton is getting 15 to 20. thats at least a 40 to 50 percent increase. For me down time is key too. I mean really, you should not have to bullet proof a truck it should be built that way. I thought about it long and hard just doesn't add up for me. Monroe when you did the bulletproof did you do it yourself? How many miles have you been trouble free since the install. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck dilemma help

Yes understand your pain. And agree with you that it should be built that way.

Yes i did install the bulletproof system myself.
The longest part of the install was waiting on the machine shop to check the heads for cracks and deck the heads. Took about a week. Other than that your looking at 16 -20 hrs to take apart and install.

As of right now i have 7k of towing and plowing miles. My truck doesn't move unless it's working lol.