Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Just bought first house - lawn care/seeding questions

Hey guys, im not a new member here, however i havent been on here in quite a while, as ive had no need to be haha. Anyway i just bought a home here in Iowa with lots of gorgeous landscaping and many oak trees.

However, theres a lot of yellowing/dying of grass and theres some bare areas with absolutely no grass in what id call a mainly shaded area between garages and one area behind house.

So what im needing to know, is what type of seed would work well in those areas, and what id need to do to get the lawn looking luscious and green again throughout 100% of the yard. I have included some pictures to help with the descriptions etc and only have access to generic run of the mill garden and landscaping stores.

I apologize beforehand for some of the pictures as your trying to look through deck side etc.

Lawn Facing South West

Lawn Facing East

Lawn Facing North East

Dead/Bald area between garages (garages on E and W side of area, open to the N and S

Another of dead/bald area between garages

Dead/Bald area behind house facing North

Another behind house Facing North
Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear

Last edited by CTD_Crazed; 02-23-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, heres an aerial photo to help place everything and see how everything is laid out

Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear
Old 02-24-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those first three picture's look like normal winter turf, not dying grass. Those tree's aren't doing you any favor's though, did you know that a full grown oak tree can suck up to 800 gallon's of water a day out of what look's to you like dry soil. And shade and restricted airflow is really hard on grass. You should consider not having anything but bare ground under the dripline on those two big evergreen's in the first picture. Improve the air and sunlight everywhere and re-evaluate when the soil warm's up.

I can guarantee you have major compaction in the area between the two garage's. Year's of footstep's in that area have caused that. If you can improve the shade situation, that will make a big difference, but you still have to deal with the compaction. Ryegrass is your best bet, seeded at eight Lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. Alway's mow at your mower's highest setting. Use very little water. Remember that spring seeding probably isn't going too make it through the summer, Sept 1 is the best time to seed. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

ok well, i dont have any plans on pulling trees or anything, and your saying to till the ground under the evergreens? what exatly does that do? i dont have a problem with that, but im not about to try dropping trees hah!

Thanks for tip on seeding....i would have tried to seed in april or may!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

don't till the soil under the drip lines of any trees. you can and will do tons of damage to the roots of the trees. aeration with over seeding is what you want to do. and as far as the spots directly under trees that get no sun and would need endless water i would do a mulch bed.

also the tree in the 5th picture down i would get that cut down asap. hate to tell you that but if that was on my property that would of been removed before the papers were even signed, that tree scares me that much.

can't tell you what kind of seed to use not sure of your zone and if its cool, warm, or another grass. i would say call lesco or another fert. distributor in your area and see what type of seed the recommend.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No,no... i'm not talking about tilling, that will cause major damage, or cutting down anything. I'm talking about tree ring's like this -
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the best seed you can find, it will make big difference. Someone in your area can make a recommendation. Your local extension agent is a good resource,

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/content/county-offices
Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

awesome, and yeah i can mulch around the trees, makes for a good place to put maybe a few plants too
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua View Post
also the tree in the 5th picture down i would get that cut down asap. hate to tell you that but if that was on my property that would of been removed before the papers were even signed, that tree scares me that much.
Agreed. Surprised that hasn't split apart already. Not a question of will it, but when.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah, i will have it removed at some point, but right now the agreements are already done, papers were signed in Dec so ill just have to watch it and remove when income allows.