Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Good Price for Scag Tigercat?

I don't do commercial lawn maintenance with my business anymore, however I do own a house on some acreage so have been looking for a used ztr to help cut down the amount of time I spend cutting the property each week. It adds up to about 5 acres.

I have had a scag 36" belt drive walk behind before with a fb460v kawasaki and have been happy with it, however I need something bigger for the property. Was looking around at some local dealers the other day and one showed me a 2011 scag tiger cat with 61" cut, 27 hp kohler and 1400 hours that was traded in (along with about 10 other machines) from a local LCO. They fleet maintain these machines very well, have been told by at least 3 separate sources (weekly oil changes, night mechanics, etc.) Machine is in great shape minus a few cosmetic issues. Dealer is going over with fine tooth comb and fixing any problems (warranty issues or otherwise). Is 3700 a fair price?

I will probably be under 100 hours a year with my residential use of the machine. What do these run new?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually that is a good deal. A new Scag Tigercat would run about $9000.
This mower will last you a long time. It sounds like you have a good Scag dealer too.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply rtr. I operated the mower today and everything sounds and runs really good. I'm anxious to see what kind of hours I can get out of the engine. I'm assuming lower hour usage with longer time in between (1 time a week vs all day every day) would help an air cooled engine. Obviously, oil, oil filter, and air filter maintenance would also benefit. Any speculation on the engine life expectancy?

One good thing the dealer educated me on is that Kohlers can be shortblocked, rather than having to replace the entire engine, surely a more economical choice. Anyway, here is a picture of the unit. Looks to me like a little paint scuff from parking in the trailer and a little damage to the armrests. Can't find anything worse than that to really complain about. Its solid otherwise.

Also, on another topic, I am trying to sell my old 36" walk behind. I don't know the year of it, probably 8 or 9 years old. 229 hours. Oil changed every 25, well maintained, etc. This picture is when it "isn't cleaned up." I'm hoping to ask 1000 obo. Opinions on pricing?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Run from that mower. 1400 hrs is a lot. If it has been cutting Bahia then the deck will need work soon. I would look under the deck and see how many layers have been blasted through. I've seen holes in Scag decks at 500 hours that have been used on Bahia with high lift blades. BTW I can buy new 61 Tigercats all day long at $7500 with a warranty. If you have to have that mower offer $2500 and get ready for repairs as it gets closer to 2000 hrs. Why do you think the past owner traded it in after only 1 1/2 years?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate the replays. We don't have Bahia around here and I have personally spent an hour on two different occasions going over the mower. I don't know what you mean by deck blown out, it looks like new under there. Even if I start running into repairs around 2000 hours, as stated in the OP, I won't be getting there for 5-6 years just maintaining my property. If I needed a machine to make money with, you're right I would buy new. But as a homeowner I can't justify spending 7500 as you say, but more like 9000 is what I can get one for. I know the company that traded these in updates their equipment across the board every 2 years regardless of hours. They run 20 crews or more. I understand there may be repairs around 2000 hours. But again, that is a long time away for what I will use the machine for. At that point for still a lot less than even 7500 if that were possible for me, I can address any issues that come up. Around here 7500 buys a Briggs and Stratton 52 inch zcat. You're lucky to have the hookup
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Ended up being able to get into this unit for 2700. Motor is strong, runs great, hydros are strong, deck is in great shape, cuts beautifully, and is everything I expected. Thanks for the input from everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

2700 is a much better price than 3700 for that mower. I know you will like that mower for your personal use. Good luck in selling your 36 walk behind. It looks in good condition so you should have no problem in getting 1000 or even more out of it. I've seen good ones go like yours go for 1500.