Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

please offer consrtuctive Criticism

Hi Everyone if anyone has some constructive words for my site I would appreciate it. My first site took over three months and I completely over customized it to the point I killed it. My second site took a week and I think it is just about there. Thanks for your help
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

where does your website live?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I did forget to put that in didn't I
http://manorlawncare.com/

Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Site looks good. You put some effort in to that one, which is great.

- Location/Contact info should be up top and easy to find. Tiny little phone number in the bottom right corner doesn't scream, "Call me so I can sell you stuff!". You actually make it easier for someone to contact you if they want a job, via the employment opp link, than to hire you.

- Your Google Map location is on the home page, but your contact page has nothing more than your address and phone number listed.

- A list of cities put in to your footer is an easy keyword stuffing marker for Google to penalize you for.

- Your business address matches up to another, ongoing landscaping company? Phone number is at least different, but the address is the same. From a citation standpoint, you're not doing yourself any off-site SEO favors.

- While she's attractive, your customer service girl is an easy mark as stock photography and immediately diminished your legitimacy/credibility when I got to it. It's the hallmark of virtual and vapor businesses.

- Same slide show on the home page and services page makes me scroll to see that I did actually end up on a new page. As I click through, I see it reused on other pages. That's a full screen of the same content to scroll past to see that I'm actually on the page I want to be on.

- I don't understand the Blog sub-menu as the pages are not a blog.

- Good looking, professional site and then I hit a freebie email address?

- I've gotten to the point where, if I see a WP site loading slowly, I know that the odds are great that I'm looking at a GoDaddy-hosted site. Site performance and load times are something to keep an eye on. Google does.

- Sweep for punctuation (or lack of), spelling, and grammar issues.

- Going back to the slide show, since it's a recurring object, I would try to give it a bit more appeal. I don't go subjective too often with reviews, but I just don't find it very engaging.

- Title and H tags could use some attention to more localized keywords.

- Due to WP, plugins, scripts, etc, some of the pages have very little actual content. The home page is a shade under 9% content, 91% code.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Tony...kind of a fan of your comments here. Can we see some of your work (websites)? Thanks bud...