Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

From combat boots, to work boots...

...Or something like that. Im still working on a slogan.

Ive been reading on this site for a few months and just thought I would finally peek my head out and introduce myself. My name is Tim, Im 25 and the owner of Veteran Lawn Care. As the name and slogan suggest I was in the army in the 25th infantry division for a little over 4 years with 2 deployments to Iraq. I have never done lawn care "professionally" before but had a small number of neighbors and family I worked for before my enlistment. I got out almost 2 years ago and worked for my father-in-law since then laying concrete. after 2 hot hard summers breaking my already achy back Ive decided to go into business for myself.

That's the gist of me. I wont wast your time asking how much you charge or blah blah blah, I've already found that I either am trying for too much or cannot compete on larger properties yet. Learned that by being beat out on a 6 acre cemetery for $6,000 for a season...I was 3,500 above that but hey it was a big job and I wanted to be paid accordingly. Anyways I currently have a 98 GMC, 16ft tandem trailer, a 52in toro grandstand, sthil trimmers and hedger, (all bought used with money from my last deployment) and have yet to purchase a blower yet. I have a laughably small number of accounts and am scrambling for some more without shooting myself in the foot. I have a couple of estimates out there so we will see what happens...so long as I don't have to do anymore concrete ill be happy.

Well if you got this far through my rambling I congratulate you, I tend to do that alot lol. Take care and good luck to all of you.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I wish you the best and thank you for your service.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thank you, keep asking questions here...best of luck
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Beat of luck this season. From one Veteran to another, glad you made it home safe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I second that, welcome back brother. Is Iowa home or are you still half a country away (like I am)?
Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Iowa is where I grew up. I've settled down in eastern Iowa because my wife refused to leave her city...I'm from a much smaller town but I'm getting used to the place now. Playing the veteran card might be a bit tacky to some but I'm proud of it and get a grin on my face every time I see it on the side of my truck...now if only I can find the work to keep it there! Haha
Old 02-23-2013, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for your service. you have to start somewhere and looks like you are doing well so far more accounts will come.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

It can be a little tacky depending on how you use it. In my opinion, if someone plays the card to get sympathy or attention for personal gain- they're an idiot.
Sounds like you're using it the right way. Your intro might have been a bit strong, but at least we know who you are now. Be proud of being proud man!
I try to have conversations with guys at my day job about my experiences but it always turns into a bragging session somehow, or a pissing contest...to them. So I've really stopped for the most part. It's like they think nothing exists outside of their tiny world so, it seems like they think I'm full of it. I can laugh it off usually since they can't pronounce or point out on a map half the places I've been. Brad Paisley has a song out about that kind of thing- but a lot of people seem to love the song while missing the point. A few years ago this kind of thing irritated me, now it's amusing.
I've lived in SC for several years now and I'm still adjusting. I'm Hispanic so people are amazed to hear crisp, clean English coming from me. That's another amusing part of my world.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey JDinc have you ever seen Avets Lawn Care down there in SC? A buddy of mine I served with started his own thing down there too. I'm pretty jelouse of his operation already after only 2 years. I'm not sure where exactly he is. I should have googled the name before I before I started this biz, there's actually a lot of vets out there who seem to have had the same idea I did lol owell I think I'm the only in my state so that's good I guess.

I get where your coming from about the story telling. I tried college again after I got out for the second time (dropped out the first time to enlist) and I was almost sickened by the number of national guard kids walking around with their tags out and stuff. Then come to find out in one of my classes as this kid is introducing himself as being in the army and all that to try and look tuff, he's not even been to basic training! Oh man I was livid! Some how I managed to keep my cool until after class then I introduced myself as a former sergeant and talked for a min or two just to politely give him an ego check. That stuff irks me bout as much as the stolen valor wimps. I'm really really not trying to get up on a petostol with all that but I ran into it a lot in one semester of collage and it was enough for me to all but loose faith in the generation below me.

***end ranting*** lol I warned you guys at the beginning that I do that a lot!

Back to lawn stuff! Who has ever used the adds on Facebook? Worth it? Pros cons? I know the ones I see and get seem more like junk mail and I don't want to come off as that kind of company however my budget is getting tight.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

No, never seen him. Looks like he's closer to the coast- I'm closer to the NC border. Cool website and idea though.
I see NG guys and girls with their uniforms unbuttoned or boots untied, not wearing their tops, uncovered outside...it's pathetic. And the general attitude with a lot of people is so poor and careless that fixing them wouldn't make a difference, especially with the ones that should know better, like the Sergeant chic I saw looking like bagged ass in her uniform but makeup on like a model walking around wal mart with her kid. Great example- and I bet she's so proud to be in too. Probably thinks she's a good role model. I'm not familiar with the units here, but these few make everyone look bad.