Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 PM
spitfire3416's Avatar
spitfire3416 spitfire3416 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 383
When do you start getting most of your calls for spring?

Just completed 10,000 postcard mailings this week. It's in the upper to mid 40's right now so I would think people would start calling for spring cleanups. I've only received 3 calls so far though.. when should I expect the calls to start rolling in?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,226
it's too early. most of the time the calls start coming in the first week in april. people wait as long as they can to call someone. i start mowing the yards i already have in mid march.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Woody82986's Avatar
Woody82986 Woody82986 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,904
I don't know where you are located but I'm in Texas and I have had 4 estimate requests so far today. Things pick up the 2nd half of February. I'd say the best 4 week period for getting estimate requests of my area is between mid March and mid April. You will get different responses from people in different areas of the country though. Up north I guess it's still early. Texas is coming into a good time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,226
it's hot in texas and california already and it's always hot in florida lol.

it's still in the 50s here so nothing is growing yet. maybe in a few weeks. last year we did start earlier than usual though. this year it's stayed cooler longer. last year at this time it was already in the 70s. it's gonna vary year to year. i was mowing mid feb last year but still i didn't get any calls until last week of march or first week in april.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 9,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
it's too early. most of the time the calls start coming in the first week in april. people wait as long as they can to call someone. i start mowing the yards i already have in mid march.
Looks like well have to putv pontoons on our moewrs.


For the poster go meet the people that called you as soon as possible and try to get them "hooked". Lot of times the first person to show up is the one they will choose to do their yard.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,226
you got that right. today is the 2nd day in a row the sun has come out. it's gotta be some kind of a record.

i've only seen the sun like 5 days in the past 3 months here. it's almost like living in seattle. depressing.

i bet when it warms up it's not gonna rain very much at all. it would be nice if it only rained half as much during the winter and saved the other half for july and august.

i got an email for an estimate last night. i guess everyone is tired of all the rain and ready for spring. the sunny days bring it out in everybody.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM
spitfire3416's Avatar
spitfire3416 spitfire3416 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody82986 View Post
I don't know where you are located but I'm in Texas and I have had 4 estimate requests so far today. Things pick up the 2nd half of February. I'd say the best 4 week period for getting estimate requests of my area is between mid March and mid April. You will get different responses from people in different areas of the country though. Up north I guess it's still early. Texas is coming into a good time.
I'm in NJ and the grass doesn't start growing until 1st week of April usually. I just got my 4th call today. I put a "20% discount off their first months invoice" when they sign up by March 1st though. I was really hoping this would get people to call sooner. It's kind of funny how people would rather wait a couple more weeks to call when they could just call now and take advantage of a discount.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Landrus2's Avatar
Landrus2 Landrus2 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big apple
Posts: 4,690
Hey Spifire in two three weeks the phone will star ringing
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 9,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
I'm in NJ and the grass doesn't start growing until 1st week of April usually. I just got my 4th call today. I put a "20% discount off their first months invoice" when they sign up by March 1st though. I was really hoping this would get people to call sooner. It's kind of funny how people would rather wait a couple more weeks to call when they could just call now and take advantage of a discount.
4 calls is great, go as soon as you can meet the people, you will likley get a cleanup befor the grass starts growing.

And yes the homeowners all come out of hybernation at the same time, I plan to call some thet I did 1x work for in the past but it just keeps raining here. My business is full once the grasss starts growing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Dream Green irrigation's Avatar
Dream Green irrigation Dream Green irrigation is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Waverly, Minnesota
Posts: 55
I'm in Minnesota. most of our association and commercial stuff are signed. we send out renewal cards for mowing and fert. in Mid Feb. there coming back now. I start advertising for new customers mid march. People up here don't think Spring when threes a foot of snow on the ground.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 PM.

Page generated in 0.07499 seconds with 7 queries