Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-26-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Timing the cards use to drive us nuts we would send out batches of around a 1000 and the first batch would hit and we would have 10-20 calls. Then the next would be put in the mail and all of a sudden the weatherman was wrong and we had 4 inches of snow and the batch would flop 1-3 calls.
So do you think the majority of those people on the second batch just threw them in the garbage? Or do you think they could have held on to them and just called in April.. that's what I'm trying to figure out. For example, last year when I handed them out 1st week of March some people didn't call until April and some even in June. So while you're saying you only got 1-3 calls on that batch, how do you know that that's really all you got? If people hold on to them and call in late March or April, then it doesn't really make a difference to me if I send them out in Feb or March. All I care is if they hold on to them and call when they're ready. But if they're throwing them out because it's too early than that's clearly a problem and I definitely won't be handing them out in Feb again.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
So do you think the majority of those people on the second batch just threw them in the garbage? Or do you think they could have held on to them and just called in April.. that's what I'm trying to figure out. For example, last year when I handed them out 1st week of March some people didn't call until April and some even in June. So while you're saying you only got 1-3 calls on that batch, how do you know that that's really all you got? If people hold on to them and call in late March or April, then it doesn't really make a difference to me if I send them out in Feb or March. All I care is if they hold on to them and call when they're ready. But if they're throwing them out because it's too early than that's clearly a problem and I definitely won't be handing them out in Feb again.
Yes a large amount of people toss all ads indiscriminately when they get them at a time they are not buying. I know I do this as well just human nature to put off what you don't need that moment.

Now when we did post cards it was never 10000 of them it was always 5000-8000 not because we didn't want to do 10000 but thats just how the list came out. You don't sent a card to a street you can't find parking on so we had very targeted lists. And we would dump the cards in the mail as I started about a 1000 at a clip give it 3 days and do it again. The reasons was we wanted to be able to do the estimates and getting swamped with more then you could do when they cost you money to produce makes you frugal. So each wave would produce similar hits unless the weather was bad then the results went to hell. Now yes we would get calls latter but there really was no telling if they were from batch 2 or say batch 3-7. I suppose we could have tried to track the info but that would first require knowing what we mailed that day and we often did not we just grabbed a nice stack of cards and went to the post office. Then we would need to track the roads that called but you don't always get that info. Some flake out on you before you can even find out where they live so the data would never be perfect.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yes a large amount of people toss all ads indiscriminately when they get them at a time they are not buying. I know I do this as well just human nature to put off what you don't need that moment.

Now when we did post cards it was never 10000 of them it was always 5000-8000 not because we didn't want to do 10000 but thats just how the list came out. You don't sent a card to a street you can't find parking on so we had very targeted lists. And we would dump the cards in the mail as I started about a 1000 at a clip give it 3 days and do it again. The reasons was we wanted to be able to do the estimates and getting swamped with more then you could do when they cost you money to produce makes you frugal. So each wave would produce similar hits unless the weather was bad then the results went to hell. Now yes we would get calls latter but there really was no telling if they were from batch 2 or say batch 3-7. I suppose we could have tried to track the info but that would first require knowing what we mailed that day and we often did not we just grabbed a nice stack of cards and went to the post office. Then we would need to track the roads that called but you don't always get that info. Some flake out on you before you can even find out where they live so the data would never be perfect.
I guess ill just have to wait and see how I do.. I like your idea of doing them in batches though. Either way, I'm hoping to get at least 100 calls on these 10,000. Not sure if those are pipe dreams but if I get that I'll be happy. I received my 9th call today so only 91 more to go haha
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I guess ill just have to wait and see how I do.. I like your idea of doing them in batches though. Either way, I'm hoping to get at least 100 calls on these 10,000. Not sure if those are pipe dreams but if I get that I'll be happy. I received my 9th call today so only 91 more to go haha
Hate to sound negative but if you get a 1% call rate then count yourself very lucky. I would aim more towards a .5% call back.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Here we don't start mowing til the end of April.We start clean ups March 15th the lawn companies are out as soon as the snow melts to do their application's ground is soggy for quite awhile it needs to dry out so we have to wait as long as possible for each day it rains you have to wait 2 for it to dry out cant wait to start all contracts are out waiting on calls for estimates on new customers good luck to all have a safe season
Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I'm a little north of you and we have had over a week of temps in the 40s. That said the ground is still covered in snow here and I learned the hard way when I use to do post cards the calls don't come in if its white out. Timing the cards use to drive us nuts we would send out batches of around a 1000 and the first batch would hit and we would have 10-20 calls. Then the next would be put in the mail and all of a sudden the weatherman was wrong and we had 4 inches of snow and the batch would flop 1-3 calls. So you can send out your advertizing to late but you can also send it out to early and the timing is more to do with ground conditions than an arbitrary start date.
Can't agree more , if I flyer when there is snow on the ground the phone doesn't ring, when people can see their grass they think about it, found it paid off if I waited for a few nice days and flyered then with much better results
Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnK View Post
Can't agree more , if I flyer when there is snow on the ground the phone doesn't ring, when people can see their grass they think about it, found it paid off if I waited for a few nice days and flyered then with much better results
I'm in North Jersey and I just mailed out my spring letters late last week. Got 3 calls and 2 emails already. If this next storm that is coming goes out to sea like some people think it will, I'll be back to work by the 3rd week of March doing spring clean ups. I can't wait either. Sitting on my butt at home sucks lol!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Personally, I don't want to be answering the phone that much. What % of the 100 calls do you think you'll get the job on? I have more work now then ever and I never sent a post card or ran a ad. Word of mouth is where it's at.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Personally, I don't want to be answering the phone that much. What % of the 100 calls do you think you'll get the job on? I have more work now then ever and I never sent a post card or ran a ad. Word of mouth is where it's at.
I was thinking 40-50%.. at least I'm hoping
Old 03-10-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I get most of my calls once people can see the grass and realize they dont want to cut it themself. It would be great if I had all my customers and future customers all signed up and ready to go for a full season, but it just never happens. People dont care about their lawn when they cant see it. Out of sight, out of mind

PlowSite-SnowFakers