Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Man bro, you've had a rough couple years haven't ya? We will too if we have the same drought type conditions as last year again. Hope not.

I'm getting hit with the beginning of a what is supposed to be a pretty heavy duty snow storm right now, so I'm not thinking about cutting as much as snow blowing with my CUT.
Yeah mate, its been very frustrating couple of years. Having these mower issues have only made things worse. Unbelievably frustrated with it all!

Good luck with the snow. At least you can make a few dollars out of clearing it!
Take some pics!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Yeah mate, its been very frustrating couple of years. Having these mower issues have only made things worse. Unbelievably frustrated with it all!

Good luck with the snow. At least you can make a few dollars out of clearing it!
Take some pics!
I'll try to remember to take some pics. I mainly just clear for some of my neighbors that are older, and I don't charge them. They usually offer though. There's way too many guys around here that plow to be able to get in on any of it and make money, especially when they have only got to plow 2 or 3 times this year so far. The first sign of snow and they come out of the woodwork.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I looked at some z950r's today, I liked the looks of them but now iv just got to wait for some grass to start growing so I can try it out. Anybody run a super z and one of the R deeres that can give me a comparison of the speed and transmission feel, the hustler is suppose to be 3mph faster so I was just kinda wondering how big a difference that is in the seat of the pants feel, also the older deeres iv run the levers were really hard to push and it felt like you just creeped along. The hydro system being so smooth and the speed were what I loved about the hustler so I just hope the deere comes close... Sorry to keep on I'm just getting anxious for a new mower and I can't wait to try one out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Dont get hung up on that top speed thing. Even Huster will say its for transport only. You will not even touch the top speed unless your mowing perfectly flat yards. Then cut quality at that speed will come into question. I can tell you mowing at 13 mph and doing it well isnt an easy task, nevermind 15-16 mph. Any manufacturer will tell you the same exact thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 02-26-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The hydro's Deere has been using since 2010 are a lot better than what they used to use in the older 800 and even older 700 series machines. They feel plenty smooth to me, with little effort required to move the machine. I doubt you're gonna get any response from someone who has run both the SZ and the new R series since they are just now coming out and most dealers still don't have one on their floor yet.

I agree with GMLC on the speed thing. the top end of the Deere is supposed to be 12 MPH and I have yet to be able to take advantage of that speed. There's either too many obstacles to maneuver around, or the terrain is too rough. On northern turf you will not get the best QOC at that speed either. Maybe down south, just maybe, but not up here.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the ky/tn area, I realize mowing at that speed is hard to do but the speed sure is nice when you have to double cut some yards then I have a lot of yards where I unload and drive to each yard and some big yards where I have to drive to other parts of the yard. I just watched a video on YouTube where there were some mowers racing, the hustler won and the deere was about even with the ex mark, not sure which model they used though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That video is several years old now and has been posted here a ton of times.

I agree that the speed is nice between jobs, but like I said, I have yet to cut where I could open mine up to full sticks for more than a few feet, so even for double cutting the speed doesn't help me much. I prefer to get a top quality cut the first time, every time vs ging a couple MPH faster.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Choosing the right deck will help you minimize double cutting. I had to double cut less than 5 times all last season. And I mow in the rain!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess iv just got in a bad habit of thinking everything pretty much has to be double cut because of our Dixie choppers, they have been great but there way out of date now days, the newest one we have is a 07 model and it's been tore up for 2 years with both trannys out and engine trouble, kinda hard to justify putting the money into it to fix it. But with our mowers to get a good stripe it has to be gone over at least twice and same goes for a good clean cut with no piling up... Back to that video I'm assuming the deere may not have been the new R? I believe the video but I didn't think the deere would be that far behind with only 3mph difference. Thanks again for all the replies guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Gmlc, what mowers do you run? You may have said I prob just over looked it
Posted via Mobile Device