Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-07-2003, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

stripping

where do you buy the tools for this?
Old 02-07-2003, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

No tools needed, but a good mower and knowing how to stripe and when. Some mowers require rollers to stripe better and some don't need them. If you any more tips, just holler!

Old 02-07-2003, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What kind of mower do you have. Some use a rubber piece behind the deck. Some others use chains or a large roller, like a rolling pin.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 02-07-2003, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thongs are available in most lingere shops

If you are refering to the nice patterns on lawns, however, (re. striping), there are tools such as rollers to help. However, down here on our warm season St. Augustine, nothing works very well to get this effect.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Last edited by Administrator; 02-08-2003 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Think you mean striping (not stripping) but this is acheived by mowing in alternate "stripes" or directions (mower width) and not overlapping excessively. This bends the grass blades in the direction you travel. Most (and I do say MOST) commercial mowers and a few homeowner mowers already do a decent job of it without modifications. Check that the front of the deck is 1/4" lower than the back (called "pitch"). Also mow as high as your customers will let you or as high as is healthy for your grass type (ie, fescue, bluegrass, etc. should be mowed at least 3" and not more than 4"). Your customers may not let you go as high as would be nice for best striping, but you should still get good ones anyway. There are 3 kinds of striping kits generally speaking:

chains - these are chains that hang from a peice of angle iron that is bolted to the frame of the mower and hang between the rear tires. Dixie Chopper for one sells a chain kit as an option.

flap - this is a rubber flap that is bolted to the rear edge of the deck and sticks down to rub the grass bending it over to acheive better striping. Several manufacturer's sell this for their mowers.

roller - this is a roller that mounts to the back end of the deck or mounts behind the drive tires to the frame. The ones that mount on the deck such as eXmark's "EZ Striper" (made by York Sheet Metal) are dual function, striper and super anti-scalp roller. Rollers are probably most effective of these three types of kits because there is more weight pressing against the grass blades.

Chains will catch on sprinkler heads and occasionally trailer gates, etc. and a few have ripped out sprinkler systems. I don't think this is a big problem. They never wear out. Flaps work fine and are cheap, easy, and pretty effective. They will wear out after a long while like everything else but they are pretty cheap ($30? for eXmark's flap). Rollers are more expensive but as I said are more effective and also a big anti scalp roller that makes scalping non-existant. I've heard that backing over leaves with a roller feeds the leaves under the deck and they just shred. I have tried all types, the chains didn't do much for my types of grass & weeds and I found them annoying to be dangling back there, just a personal dislike because of my conditions. I have a flap type it works fine. I also have a roller and it works great. No scalping, great striping. The flap was free (cut a semi truck rubber mudflap up that was given to me, attach with washers and bolts) and the roller only cost about $5 for two 6" peices of angle iron, a 1/2" steel rod and I already had a steel pipe to go over the rod. Welded it together and bolted to deck. Didn't need or have bearings or bushings, it works great. The only problem with striping flaps is if you have gravel driveways you have to go over. The flaps and rollers (large diameter rollers won't do this but a smaller deck mounted one will) catch the gravel and the deck picks it up, big mess and can tear up stuff. So shut off the blades going over gravel. Chain kits won't do that though.
For more info, go to www.elmlawnsite.com and click on "Striping Page" or click on the search button on LawnSite and search "Striping" you will have hours of reading. Here is a pic of stripes alittle blurry but from a couple years ago.
Good luck,
Eric
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2003, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I mowed that lawn with the tractor on the left. That is a huge brush pile in the background LOL. real big.
On elmlawnsite.com also click on lawn pictures. 40+ awesome striping pictures. Here is one from Lawnsite member John Gamba he used a 60" eXmark Lazer with the striping roller (EZ Striper) on Bluegrass.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2003, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: is the luck of the irish that I wish you the top of the day. As morning is only so long. From a lost irishman in Joplin, Missouri
Great job BushHogBoy. Stripes are great.I know ole Eric would have been proud of the job you did.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Them darn "stripping" mowers.

The Life Story of the Srippin Mower, Dixie

That cute little COUNTRY CLIPPER, DIXIE got the KEES to her old HONDA, and told her brother, DIXON “I’m tired of the SIMPLICITY of the country, I’m movin to the city.”

Upon her arrival, she found out she could not afFORD to live here without a lot of money. Wouldn’t you know that’s when she met that SCAG, ALLIS(Alice) CHALMERS, who taught her how to MTD (mack the daddy) outta money. “It’s as easy as a SNAPPER of your fingers”, she told Dixie. “In no time you’ll be taking trips to places like NOMA and NEW HOLLAND.” So, ALLIS started teaching DIXIE some moves….the EZ ROLL, and the TORO, just to name a few. Soon they were a good act, doing an ENCORE with their BOBCAT, ARIEN.

In the meantime, DIXIE met the LAWN BOY next door, John. He was okay with her stripping until he found out she developed a habit like a GIANT VAC, and then he caught her in the WOODS with MURRAY JACOBSEN, who had her bent over a CUSHMAN going at it like a couple of GREAT DANES. It is with LITTLE WONDER why she got 2 BLACK eyes from when he DECKedER. “JOHN DEERE, I’m so sorry,” she said as her voice ECHOed behind him.

She tried calling her EX MARK, but his wife DYNA MARK, said he has recently become a CUB CADET and was out on a big CASE. So, no help there….

GRAVELY, the story ends, with DIXIE married to a CRAFTSMAN names FERRIS BUNTON, who looks like a BILLY GOAT and owns a GRASSHOPPER farm in the, you guessed it, in the country. Right back where she started. Whenever FERRIS notices DIXIE thinking about her past, he gives her a big hug and says “LES CO for a walk in the WOODS, and everything will be alWRIGHT”. Then YAZOO, the past becomes present and the CUSHMAN is being used once again…..
Old 02-07-2003, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Them darn "stripping" mowers.

The Life Story of the Srippin Mower, Dixie

That cute little COUNTRY CLIPPER, DIXIE got the KEES to her old HONDA, and told her brother, DIXON “I’m tired of the SIMPLICITY of the country, I’m movin to the city.”

Upon her arrival, she found out she could not afFORD to live here without a lot of money. Wouldn’t you know that’s when she met that SCAG, ALLIS(Alice) CHALMERS, who taught her how to MTD (mack the daddy) outta money. “It’s as easy as a SNAPPER of your fingers”, she told Dixie. “In no time you’ll be taking trips to places like NOMA and NEW HOLLAND.” So, ALLIS started teaching DIXIE some moves….the EZ ROLL, and the TORO, just to name a few. Soon they were a good act, doing an ENCORE with their BOBCAT, ARIEN.

In the meantime, DIXIE met the LAWN BOY next door, John. He was okay with her stripping until he found out she developed a habit like a GIANT VAC, and then he caught her in the WOODS with MURRAY JACOBSEN, who had her bent over a CUSHMAN going at it like a couple of GREAT DANES. It is with LITTLE WONDER why she got 2 BLACK eyes from when he DECKedER. “JOHN DEERE, I’m so sorry,” she said as her voice ECHOed behind him.

She tried calling her EX MARK, but his wife DYNA MARK, said he has recently become a CUB CADET and was out on a big CASE. So, no help there….

GRAVELY, the story ends, with DIXIE married to a CRAFTSMAN names FERRIS BUNTON, who looks like a BILLY GOAT and owns a GRASSHOPPER farm in the, you guessed it, in the country. Right back where she started. Whenever FERRIS notices DIXIE thinking about her past, he gives her a big hug and says “LES CO for a walk in the WOODS, and everything will be alWRIGHT”. Then YAZOO, the past becomes present and the CUSHMAN is being used once again…..
Pretty good. How long did that take?