Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the best skid

I'm looking to buy a truck mounted sprayer. I will put the sprayer in a 3/4 ton truck.I will spray mainly fertilizer and herbicde,maybe pre-emerge.Any suggestions on a brand or model.I've been looking at a Gregson-Clark,are they good or should I check out another brand?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I am also in the market for one as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly they are all very similar. We have GNC but you can get them all with similar engines and pumps. When it comes to pumps I really like the piston over the diaphragm ones though. The setup we use in our F250 is a GNC conformal tank which leaves plenty of room in the bed for dry fert, backpacks etc.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
Honestly they are all very similar. We have GNC but you can get them all with similar engines and pumps. When it comes to pumps I really like the piston over the diaphragm ones though. The setup we use in our F250 is a GNC conformal tank which leaves plenty of room in the bed for dry fert, backpacks etc.
Whats the advantage of piston of diaphragm? Im liking mine but am going to upgrade this summer so would be good to know.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best skid

Piston requires less maintenance and the pressure is more consistent. It's great for trees and shuns because it produces a lot of pressure and for turf it seems to be easier to calibrate and keep that calibration.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a pair of the Gregson Clarke skids. They've lasted forever(13 years on one, 10 on the other, still running just fine) with the honda and udor combination. My only complaint (and they may have fixed since) is that the intake is on the driver side, which puts you on the high side when parked on a road with a crown (most). That makes it a PITA to get the last 20 gals out of the tank. Other than that, super solid choice with a great, heavy duty frame that can take being hoisted in and out and not rust out (granted, I store inside).

The problem with rollers will come with high iron mixes or if you spray roundup. Eventually, they will pit out and lose their pressure (I have a small roundup sprayer that runs on a roller pump). On a diaphragm pump, you simply change out the diaphragms and you're back in business. My experience with hypros vs udor is that the udors will last far longer between ruptures and are quicker to disassemble, rebuild and get back on the road. They (as is rollers vs diaphragms) are just more costly on the initial buy (as in both cases, a case of cheaper to buy vs cheaper to own).
Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

The best will cost you.... Minnesota Wanner they sell a PAK tank 200, 300, 500 gal. stainless with mechanical aggitation and a hydrocell pump (pump will last years without maint.) or you could go with a John Bean sprayer. We have a 300 minnesota wanner sprayer built in the 80's only thing we ever have to replace is the hoses, I have not had the pump apart in 8 years.