Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

DOT number problems!

Hey guys I have a F150 that I use to pull a dixie and a push mower. I'm pretty sure that I'm under 10001 pounds. But I wanted to call and make sure I still didn't need anything. I called the DOT and they said "we don't mess with the dot numbers, call the BMV".

Then I called the BMV and the woman had no clue what I was talking about and then she went and got a supervisor. He also said they had nothing to do with those. So, I was transferred back and again the DOT said they don't do those! What do I do? I just want to ask someone simple questions. Because the DOT can had out huge freaking fines, but they do issue them? Any help would be awesome!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your not sure what your weight is just go to a scrap yard and drive across there scale with everything you want to haul....
Old 02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I filed and got mine instantly online. i forget the site but it should be hard to find.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thought about that, but I'd like to ask about a weight guideline. On the Indiana site it says that if you only take the vehicle in the state, you can still be below 26,000 pounds and not need a DOT number. I thought no matter what, if you are above 10001 pounds, you need one. Confusing
Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Try going to the networking forum and asking the guys from your state. They would have a better grasp on what you need.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maryland wants ANY commercially used combo with a combined GVW that is over 10 k must have DOT numbers and the driver must have a med card
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMmmkay View Post
Hey guys I have a F150 that I use to pull a dixie and a push mower. I'm pretty sure that I'm under 10001 pounds. But I wanted to call and make sure I still didn't need anything. I called the DOT and they said "we don't mess with the dot numbers, call the BMV".

Then I called the BMV and the woman had no clue what I was talking about and then she went and got a supervisor. He also said they had nothing to do with those. So, I was transferred back and again the DOT said they don't do those! What do I do? I just want to ask someone simple questions. Because the DOT can had out huge freaking fines, but they do issue them? Any help would be awesome!

2013 f150 4wd weighs 4,925 lbs

Max load 3,120 lbs, 11,300 lbs max tow, every GCWR is above 10,400 lbs.

GVWR 8,045 lbs

Without a trailer you are under the 10,001 Dot rules.

10,000 - 4925 = 5975 lbs this is the magic number. Your trailer rate and it's load is 5975 lbs or less you will not need a Dot number.

The fly in the your drink will be when you put a trailer rated to carry more then 5975 lbs. Because your truck weight and its and trailer rated weight will put you over the 10,000 lb mark. Then you will need a Dot number.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Have a 2000 4x4 which has a curb weight at around 4,300 lbs. Just called my trailer manufacturer and the empty weight of my trailer is 1140. I will be pulling a 60" dixie chopper with a push mower. Those added together equal about 1400 lbs. 6,800 lbs give or take. So, even if I wanted to add another Scag or Dixie to it, I would be fine and under the weight limit.

One other question: The number I have on my trailer plate is 3,000 lbs. Does that mean that's the maximum combined weight of trailer and load or does it mean something else? And if I were to buy an additional commercial rider it would put above that 3,000 number. So do I have to go to the bmv and get another license plate with a bigger number I suppose?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

USDOT # is a federal program run by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Whether the state chooses to adopt it's guidelines as their own is up to the state. There is a checklist you can fill out on the fmcsa site to see if you are required to have a usdot #. You may be required to obtain it anyways if your state requires it regardless of federal. If you are required to have the federal than that still holds even if your state does not enforce.

They use gross weight ratings so getting weighed empty doesn't mean a whole lot. However if you exceed the plate ratings you will have a big problem. Add to that they have been known to check load distribution through axle ratings so if you load a pallet of wall stone in your bed but your trailer is empty you will likely be over your rear axle weight rating even if the combined rating is OK.

Your trailer is 3000 rated yes? Odds are you are maxed out right with what you have. That mower likely weighs about 1400 and the trailer about the same. You do not simply get a new plate. You would need a new trailer. Then it is a question of whether the truck can handle a 7 or 10K trailer which might weigh 2000 empty not to mention the ratings of the hitch and truck itself.

There is a lot going on, but by no means is anything I or anyone else says the final word. Get on the horn and call the state police or whoever enforces DOT in your state and get on the FMCSA site and start checking around.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
2013 f150 4wd weighs 4,925 lbs

Max load 3,120 lbs, 11,300 lbs max tow, every GCWR is above 10,400 lbs.

GVWR 8,045 lbs

Without a trailer you are under the 10,001 Dot rules.

10,000 - 4925 = 5975 lbs this is the magic number. Your trailer rate and it's load is 5975 lbs or less you will not need a Dot number.

The fly in the your drink will be when you put a trailer rated to carry more then 5975 lbs. Because your truck weight and its and trailer rated weight will put you over the 10,000 lb mark. Then you will need a Dot number.
This is incorrect, the numbers used are the GVWR plus trailer GVWR. Empty numbers are useless.
Closed Thread