Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 AM
DCMmmkay DCMmmkay is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 57
Honestly though this is ridiculous. The state shouldn't make it this difficult to find our information. I mean with the various answers from everybody (which I appreciate), there should be a simple page for finding all info easily. Now rant over....

So, I just checked and my truck GVWR IS 6,000 lbs. The postcard sized sticker on my trailer is worn out and I can't see the info, so I contacted the trailer manufacturer and they will be sending me a new one. Shovelracer the 5,000 limit is what I found on the tongue of the trailer, so I'm not for sure if that's the limit rating or not. I was mistaken, I thought it only mattered how much everything weighed when loaded and not the max rating that both can handle. Thank you guys for clearing that up.

I want to thank attorney-at-lawn for that link. Indiana now has the limit set at 26,000 and under instead of 10,000 as long as I don't go out of state (which I don't). I'm actually glad for the GVWR ratings because it's so much easier to tell whether you will need DOT numbers. I thought I was going to have to load everything up and go to the trash place and weigh it, lol.
  #22  
Old 02-27-2013, 04:52 AM
dhardin53 dhardin53 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln, Il
Posts: 707
I believe it is a law that on the drivers door post is a sticker that all trucks are to have the weight specs. This is what the police/inspectors will use to calculate if you have the proper plate and if over weight.
  #23  
Old 02-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Truck has a GVWR
Trailer has a GVWR
Truck also has a CGWVR which means that even if you trailer is a million pounds, it legally can not be more than what the approved rating is. IE you can not tow an empty 10K GVWR trailer with a Ford Explorer simply because the empty weight of the trailer falls within the allowable tow rating of the vehicle of say maybe 5000 lbs.
That's what I said. The GCWR is the max that truck, trailer and load may weigh. Mine is 9,400 pounds.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



  #24  
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM
shovelracer shovelracer is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMmmkay View Post
Honestly though this is ridiculous. The state shouldn't make it this difficult to find our information. I mean with the various answers from everybody (which I appreciate), there should be a simple page for finding all info easily. Now rant over....

So, I just checked and my truck GVWR IS 6,000 lbs. The postcard sized sticker on my trailer is worn out and I can't see the info, so I contacted the trailer manufacturer and they will be sending me a new one. Shovelracer the 5,000 limit is what I found on the tongue of the trailer, so I'm not for sure if that's the limit rating or not. I was mistaken, I thought it only mattered how much everything weighed when loaded and not the max rating that both can handle. Thank you guys for clearing that up.

I want to thank attorney-at-lawn for that link. Indiana now has the limit set at 26,000 and under instead of 10,000 as long as I don't go out of state (which I don't). I'm actually glad for the GVWR ratings because it's so much easier to tell whether you will need DOT numbers. I thought I was going to have to load everything up and go to the trash place and weigh it, lol.
I posted two links that took all of 30 seconds to find that are very relevant to your needed information.

If the 5000lb mark is not a plate and is stamped I suspect that it is the rating of the actual coupler that the manufacture used when building the trailer. If that is the case that may not be your rating. Could be, but it is not what they would check. I would get in touch with attorney at lawn if you have questions. He is right about interstate that trumps all state regs. Anyone who meets the 10K requirement and crosses a state line falls under federal DOT regardless if the states enforce.

Rich are you saying that the truck in your avatar only has a tow rating of about 3500? That seems low to me. Is it a 6cyl?
  #25  
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Rich are you saying that the truck in your avatar only has a tow rating of about 3500? That seems low to me. Is it a 6cyl?
The truck weighs about 4,400 pounds. The maximum combined gross weight rating is 9,400 pounds. I can put in it and tow about 5,000 pounds.

You can look it up if you like. It's a 2007 Cheverolet Silverado 1500 Classic Work Truck. It has a 133 inch wheel base (8 foot bed, standard cab). 3.23 gears. 4L60-E auto tranny. 5.3 engine. No factory tow package.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



  #26  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 AM
LHS Lawns LHS Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
No you are setting someone up for a fat ticket with that advice. The method used is very clear and simple. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of both combined. I can only assume the truck around 8000 and the trailer is either 3000 or 5000. In either case even if the vehicles are empty and bone dry the Gross Vehicle Combined Weight Rating is 11 or 13K respectively. Even if it scales at 9999 he would qualify for USDOT only IF he met the rest of the requirements. IE hazardous waste, interstate, or any of the others.

These numbers are not negotiable the truck has a rating plate on the door and that is what the truck MUST be registered for and and also the GVWR is what is used for this method. Likewise the trailer must have a similar approved manufacture or MV plate that along with some other info must have the GVWR. Having a 10K truck receiver or a 7K tongue or being loaded or empty none of this matters. Initially the only two things that matter are the two approved plates and the GVWR on each.
100% correct. Combined rated weight of truck and trailer. Loaded or empty it doesn't matter. My trailer is rated at 9,950 lbs. I'm sure this is to keep the dealer out of DOT regs.

When I went to get tags do you think I could get it tagged for that amount? No way. The registration was either 7500 or 10,000 lbs for a trailer. No in between. They gotcha and there is no getting around it. I could take a chance and tag it for 7500 but what if I'm overloaded? Not going there. Even at 7500 I'm over 10k with the truck.

It hasn't been a problem for me. I already have my Class A CDL and Med card so that part is taken care of. No I didn't get the Class A for lawn/landscape business. I've had it about twenty years and have always kept up on it. I've never driven a tractor trailer and don't plan to but I thot I'd get it so I'd be covered for anything.

I'll say this much it did come in handy for a job at Lowes for about three years driving ten wheeler flat bed dump trucks for delivering building materials.

I fully expect DOT to require a CDL for over 10k combinations in the future.

Get ready.
  #27  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM
shovelracer shovelracer is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,009
Rich, I do not doubt you. Ratings vary so much with manufacture options. Just shocked me cause most 1/2 tons can tow closer to 7000 with the right options. I thought the 1500 series was beafier than that. There is a huge difference between that and the 2500 model.
  #28  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 AM
djagusch djagusch is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attorney-at-Lawn View Post
I will be attending a seminar with an INDOT rep in Evansville tomorrow speaking about various carrier requirements. Indiana in the last couple years changed the DOT requirements - no numbering required if you stay within the state of Indiana and are under 26,000 combined weight. However, if you cross state lines to work in another state, then the 10,000 pound requirement does apply. Hope that helps. check link below

http://www.glspermits.com/indianadot...ndianastatedot
Only other catch is this is the case for hauling your private property. If you are "for hire" hauling somebody elses stuff for pay its still anything over 10,001lbs.

Everything about gvwr shovelracer said is correct.
Posted via Mobile Device
  #29  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 AM
shovelracer shovelracer is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
100% correct. Combined rated weight of truck and trailer. Loaded or empty it doesn't matter. My trailer is rated at 9,950 lbs. I'm sure this is to keep the dealer out of DOT regs.

When I went to get tags do you think I could get it tagged for that amount? No way. The registration was either 7500 or 10,000 lbs for a trailer. No in between. They gotcha and there is no getting around it. I could take a chance and tag it for 7500 but what if I'm overloaded? Not going there. Even at 7500 I'm over 10k with the truck.

It hasn't been a problem for me. I already have my Class A CDL and Med card so that part is taken care of. No I didn't get the Class A for lawn/landscape business. I've had it about twenty years and have always kept up on it. I've never driven a tractor trailer and don't plan to but I thot I'd get it so I'd be covered for anything.

I'll say this much it did come in handy for a job at Lowes for about three years driving ten wheeler flat bed dump trucks for delivering building materials.

I fully expect DOT to require a CDL for over 10k combinations in the future.

Get ready.
If I am not mistaken the trailer goes in to class A at 10,001 keeping your 10000 under cdl, but still med card territory.

I also fully expect towing to get much more restricted over the next 10 years. Of course it will not matter because the worst offenders will not have commercial reg so they will fall under personal or recreational use and be excused. Around here I seen an explorer swaying with a 20' enclosed in tow, but more frequently and regularly there is a guy running a Ford Taurus with a double axle trailer and 3 mowers. He's been dragging his bumper around for 2 years and it amazes me no one has shut him down. When the day comes it will not be pretty, I just hope no one gets hurt in the process.
  #30  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 AM
LHS Lawns LHS Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
If I am not mistaken the trailer goes in to class A at 10,001 keeping your 10000 under cdl, but still med card territory.

I also fully expect towing to get much more restricted over the next 10 years. Of course it will not matter because the worst offenders will not have commercial reg so they will fall under personal or recreational use and be excused. Around here I seen an explorer swaying with a 20' enclosed in tow, but more frequently and regularly there is a guy running a Ford Taurus with a double axle trailer and 3 mowers. He's been dragging his bumper around for 2 years and it amazes me no one has shut him down. When the day comes it will not be pretty, I just hope no one gets hurt in the process.
You're right. I looked at my CDL License after I posted and it says on the back Class A starts at 26001 for combination and 10001 for a towing trailer.

I'm with you on the rag tag vehicle/trailer people that are safety hazard on the road. They never get stopped. They are far more dangerous then any of us that are trying to do the right thing will ever be.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.08001 seconds with 7 queries