Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

So again this is wrong?

Quote:
So when Richard posts this:

Quote:
The truck weighs about 4,400 pounds. The maximum combined gross weight rating is 9,400 pounds. I can put in it and tow about 5,000 pounds.

You can look it up if you like. It's a 2007 Cheverolet Silverado 1500 Classic Work Truck. It has a 133 inch wheel base (8 foot bed, standard cab). 3.23 gears. 4L60-E auto tranny. 5.3 engine. No factory tow package.
is he wrong?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMmmkay View Post
So when Richard posts this:

is he wrong?
He was correct with his numbers as far as safety numbers go. I would have thought it was rated higher but that is neither here nor there. What he did not mention was the sum of truck and trailer gvwr which is what this thread started out about.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok ya that makes sense with adding the two GVWR's together. Easier to track.

So, just called my trailer manufacturer and my trailer GVWR is 2,900 lbs.

Truck is 6,000 + Trailer 2,900 = DOT can suck on my D!

Thanks everybody for your responses! Shovelracer appreciate the info you gave me. Yesterday was the first time I've ever heard of the GVWR and all that stuff, so I learned a lot in the last 24 hours, lol. Thanks again!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Let me give you most real world situation. You are driving down the road and a state cop decides he doesn't like the look of you because you are in his area. He owns a side mowing business and feels you are a threat. He decides to pull you over and do a roadside inspection. DOT # required or not this is whats going down because you are commercial. He pulls out his scales from the trunk.

He will look at your truck gvwr and your trailer gvwr. He will determine if your manufacture plates match your state registration and hope they do. Then he will weigh each axle and determine if the total weight exceeds the combination of the two manufacture plates. Hope they do not. Then he will determine if each axle weighs more than the axle rating on the manufacture plates. Hope they do not. If these weights are all in order than you better hope your load is properly secured and lights working and paperwork in order. If you get a new trailer they will pull the disconnect and see if your brakes lock up. Hope they do. If all that is good he will likely have to send you on your way.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The gvwr of truck and gvwr of trailer equals over 10,001 lbs then you need to watch state laws and if you cross state lines then federal laws. Thats it. It's not that hard to figure out.

If Richard's truck gvwr was 6,000 lbs and had a trailer gvwr over 4,001 lbs then the above applies.

People are trying to find a way to justify they are under 10,001 lbs when they are not.

I'm just waiting for the thread that reads my trailers gvwr rating is 9900lbs but the hitch is rated for 5,000 lbs. If I trailer a 6,000 lb skid steer is it ok to use a 5,000 lb hitch because the trailer is rated 9,900 lbs.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok ya that makes sense with adding the two GVWR's together. Easier to track.

So, just called my trailer manufacturer and my trailer GVWR is 2,900 lbs.

Truck is 6,000 + Trailer 2,900 = DOT can suck on my D!

Thanks everybody for your responses! Shovelracer appreciate the info you gave me. Yesterday was the first time I've ever heard of the GVWR and all that stuff, so I learned a lot in the last 24 hours, lol. Thanks again!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Even if I was above 10,001 pounds I would be fine because I'm solo and I would be hauling my own private property. Now if you reach over 26,001 pounds then you will need one.

This is directly from indiana gov website:

Is anyone exempt for having a USDOT number?

Yes, some carriers are exempt if any of the following are true:

You are farm plated (both truck and trailer) and you do not cross the state line.
You stay in Indiana only, haul your own private property that is non-hazardous and your combined gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight rating is less than 26,000 lbs.

Link: http://www.in.gov/dor/4291.htm#unified
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Another quick update:

Just called my state police and asked them about the ratings. They said as long as you're below 26,000 lbs your fine and you are within the regulations. There is so much confusion about this. Indiana guys need to know this because it's different then most states. Freaking awesome news!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hate to tell you but it's not personal it's commercial. Should we now have a conversation about commercial vs passenger? The laws are generally the same in all states, just enforced differently. The requirements for 10K/26K are the same everywhere.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Dude I don't know what else proof I have to give you. I talked to a state police officer and said I own a lawn care business. He said as long as it's below 26,000 lbs you're fine. I reiterated the 10,001 limit and said you can't be over 26,000 lbs, but anything under is fine. This is the person that gives out tickets, lol! Sorry bro I'll take his word over yours. It's his job and yours I guess is putting doubt in mind after the fact.
Closed Thread