Old 02-27-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMmmkay View Post
So when Richard posts this:

is he wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Hate to tell you but it's not personal it's commercial. Should we now have a conversation about commercial vs passenger? The laws are generally the same in all states, just enforced differently. The requirements for 10K/26K are the same everywhere.
Thats right. USDOT covers all states. There is a State DOT number you can get as long as you aren't leaving the state but it still adheres to USDOT regs.

I'm not planning on doing business outside the state but its possible I could go to Delaware to purchase some equipment so I got the USDOT number to cover me.

Not trying to hijack the thread but since we are on the DOT topic what DOT paperwork do you guys carry with you in your truck in case you get stopped.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

DC, You got it all wrong. They are correct but for what. 26K is the CDL limit and the point where all states enforce. 10K is the federal dot magic number. If your state selects to not require numbering till cdl that is fine so long as you do not intend to leave your state, but I'm not trying to confuse you, your looking for ways around something that is so easy to do. What amazes me is your acting like I'm the ****** when all I've done is spend 2 days trying to help you understand what your talking about. You are commercial so if you want to go around killing babies with your overloaded improperly documented rig go right ahead. Just do not come on here crying when the government slaps you with a $5,000 fine and impounds your rig.

Last edited by shovelracer; 02-27-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
Thats right. USDOT covers all states. There is a State DOT number you can get as long as you aren't leaving the state but it still adheres to USDOT regs.

I'm not planning on doing business outside the state but its possible I could go to Delaware to purchase some equipment so I got the USDOT number to cover me.

Not trying to hijack the thread but since we are on the DOT topic what DOT paperwork do you guys carry with you in your truck in case you get stopped.
Fire ext, safety triangles, med card, if 150 miles than a log book, but there are loopholes to log book that the users of this thread are not ready to understand.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Fire ext, safety triangles, med card, if 150 miles than a log book, but there are loopholes to log book that the users of this thread are not ready to understand.
I was called in on a DOT safety audit about two years ago this Spring. Gave me a list on stuff I needed to have which included Fire ext, triangles, etc. which by using common sense I already had.

They told me about keeping a log book which is outrageous to me since I'm part-time and only on the road about four hours a day at the most.

Fill me in on the loophole.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Rich, I do not doubt you. Ratings vary so much with manufacture options. Just shocked me cause most 1/2 tons can tow closer to 7000 with the right options. I thought the 1500 series was beafier than that. There is a huge difference between that and the 2500 model.
Yes, if I had the 3.73 gears and the factory tow package the rating goes up a bit. But then, if the factory tow package wasn't required they probably wouldn't sell many of those high dollar options.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

At this point it is important that we make it clear we are talking about federal dot regs here. Some new england states are adopting federal and going beyond so in no way is this the bible.

First question are you travelling more than 150 miles from your "garaged" location. If no than no log book required.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
I was called in on a DOT safety audit about two years ago this Spring. Gave me a list on stuff I needed to have which included Fire ext, triangles, etc. which by using common sense I already had.

They told me about keeping a log book which is outrageous to me since I'm part-time and only on the road about four hours a day at the most.

Fill me in on the loophole.
I moved here to NC from Maryland not that long ago. A commercial vehicle is a commercial vehicle in MD, regardless of the weight rating. I keep a log book for IRS purposes but it would have come in handy in Maryland too. Anything over 10,000 GCWR in Maryland requires USDOT numbers.

The only commercial guys in Maryland that have found a loophole are the ones that know the law and just ignore it or those that deny that they're covered by those laws.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I went for years without a dot number and they finally got me , they just warn you the first time normally and tell you what to do , they go number listed as the gvwr not what the actual weight is , I had a 3500 chevy the door sticker said 10400 or something like that it was barely over and he said even though the truck may not actually weigh that much the truck still needs the dot number , any single vehicle or combination vehicle with a combined gvwr of 10,000 lbs needs a dot number , like you have a f150 that the gvwr is 6000 and a 7000gvwr trailer you need one I know its stupid but this is straight from the dot I know I tried everything to get out of doing it , the only way to get around it is not to label your trucks or trailers because this only applies to commercial vehicles. the state road tax is only if you cross state lines , most lawn care guys will just need the dot number for your state. go to the dot website , you can call them once you sift through all the bs you can get ahold of someone. be careful after you get it you will get all these outside companies trying to tell you you needs this and that and wanting money to keep you compliant , its kinda tricky to find out exactly what you need other than the number.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

All this is for interstate. Intrastate falls under the specific state regulation. If within 100 air miles of the base or non-cdl than no log book is required, standard timecards are appropriate.Within 150 miles and non-cdl than timesheets are acceptable, but you also need to comply with 14 hr duty rules. Beyond 150 miles is logbook territory, however there are exemptions to certain hour rules when used personally. That is not Joe Mow trying to fly under the radar, but more like using your commercial rig for personal to lets say move personal furniture. Caution there are all sorts of rules that apply to using like this so don't you guys think you can just say you are personal when you are coming back from another state with a trailer full of mowers you bought at auction.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
DC, You got it all wrong. They are correct but for what. 26K is the CDL limit and the point where all states enforce. 10K is the federal dot magic number. If your state selects to not require numbering till cdl that is fine so long as you do not intend to leave your state, but I'm not trying to confuse you, your looking for ways around something that is so easy to do. What amazes me is your acting like I'm the ****** when all I've done is spend 2 days trying to help you understand what your talking about. You are commercial so if you want to go around killing babies with your overloaded improperly documented rig go right ahead. Just do not come on here crying when the government slaps you with a $5,000 fine and impounds your rig.
Ya man sorry, I do appreciate the help. This stuff has been driving me crazy the past two days. But what I've written so far is not my knowledge or thoughts, it's the State Of Indiana.

1. I'm not trying to get around anything. I'm a law abiding citizen and just want to make sure my rig is within the law. My rig is rated at 8,900 lbs, so I'm good. I just want to be 100% sure when I have to buy a new truck and upgrade.

2.Indiana on March 12, 2010 passed Senate bill 74 which upped the weight limit from 10,001 to 26,000 lbs for commercial and private. Talked to State Police and Indiana for Motor Vehicles. Right from the horses mouth. I do realize this is in state (which is the only place I will be working) and that if I go out of state I will need USDOT numbers.

Quote:
You are commercial so if you want to go around killing babies with your overloaded improperly documented rig go right ahead. Just do not come on here crying when the government slaps you with a $5,000 fine and impounds your rig.
Really man? I'm not overloaded and if I do get a new truck and the GCVWR is 16,000. Guess what? In Indiana that's legal and is within the law. Maybe New Jersey will one day change their laws, but Indiana already has. I appreciate your knowledge and help with the basic DOT numbers, but your state has completely different laws within it when it comes to weigh regulations.
Closed Thread