Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
Thats right. USDOT covers all states. There is a State DOT number you can get as long as you aren't leaving the state but it still adheres to USDOT regs.
No it doesn't. USDOT only regulates interstate travel. If you never cross the state borders then USDOT has nothing to do with anything. It is up to the individual states to determine whether they want to use USDOT regulations or not. North Carolina does not have any requirement for USDOT numbers. Now if you cross from Virginia to North Carolina then NC state police can get you for not having a USDOT number. But within NC the numbers are not required.

It was freaky when I first moved here from Maryland since they're required in MD. None of the local dump trucks, local log trucks, tractor trailers or anybody has any DOT numbers.

You can Google this up.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
No it doesn't. USDOT only regulates interstate travel. If you never cross the state borders then USDOT has nothing to do with anything. It is up to the individual states to determine whether they want to use USDOT regulations or not. North Carolina does not have any requirement for USDOT numbers. Now if you cross from Virginia to North Carolina then NC state police can get you for not having a USDOT number. But within NC the numbers are not required.

It was freaky when I first moved here from Maryland since they're required in MD. None of the local dump trucks, local log trucks, tractor trailers or anybody has any DOT numbers.

You can Google this up.
Thank you!

I don't understand why people won't believe me about different regulations in Indiana. Intrastate in Indiana is 26,000 or less. So you're good if you don't leave the state
Old 02-27-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
At this point it is important that we make it clear we are talking about federal dot regs here. Some new england states are adopting federal and going beyond so in no way is this the bible.

First question are you travelling more than 150 miles from your "garaged" location. If no than no log book required.
No more than 20-25 miles round trip. All I remember them saying was the hours you are from Headquarters until you return. It couldn't be over 11 hours. I told them I'm only on the road for four hours on my longest day and the rest of the day I'm in the office with my other job.

They said all hours count up while the vehicle is out from HQ. It doesn't matter what you are doing. If you are in a commercial vehicle even if it has nothing to do with the business it still counts as DOT time.

The 150 mile rule would certainly help me out.

Here's one for you. A local LCO was out with his rig and had a cooler in back with his lunch in it. Got stopped by DOT and he looked in the cooler with permission from the LCO. Found beer that the LCO didn't know was in there and BOOM 1000 buck fine.

The LCO said he has a truck home with the business sign on it that he doesn't use that much except running around. DOT told him don't be running to the store picking up some beer 'cause he could get busted for it. He said take the sign off and you're good to go. Thats what the did.

You don't want to mess with those DOT guys.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post

You can Google this up.
OK I stand corrected. In MD they adhere to the USDOT regs and as you have found out some states are different.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMmmkay View Post
Really man? I'm not overloaded and if I do get a new truck and the GCVWR is 16,000. Guess what? In Indiana that's legal and is within the law. Maybe New Jersey will one day change their laws, but Indiana already has. I appreciate your knowledge and help with the basic DOT numbers, but your state has completely different laws within it when it comes to weigh regulations.
Laws are generally adopted from the federal. NJ does not require numbering as well, but they do a med card over 10K. Do not confuse all this with commercial plating. You are a commercial outfit even if you only have 1 account and they do not even pay you.

It is on purpose why manufactures offer payload packages as they do. New f250 10,000 gvwr, why because no dot. The f550 comes in a 17500 or 17900 package why, because no smoke inspection required. Trailers all day long with 10400 axles tagged as 10,000 why no CDL.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DOT numbers are something you don't want to do unless you are force to. Some requirements have been mentioned here but the new rules are asking for safety inspections, drivers safety classes, in-house scheduled inspections all that need to be documented, up to date and at the disposal on demand. Again the feds regulations are universal, but state by state all have different twist. I go to St Louis a lot with my truck and trailer, and if I had dot # on my truck there are many laws that I would be in violation just driving around St Louis. Without DOT #s one can get buy. But a out of state tag and DOT # on my truck door is a invitation for disaster.

Several state have different twists to "are lawn care operators commercial" in Illinois technically NO. I am a privet individual doing contract work for other. Now If I was hauling for the sole purpose for my income I would be commercial. I guess some states out east don't read the DOT laws this way...
Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
OK I stand corrected. In MD they adhere to the USDOT regs and as you have found out some states are different.
Isn't that weird though? I feel like every state should abide by the Federal DOT. Now, since I'm in Indiana they passed a Senate bill 74 back in 2010 to increase the weight limit from 10,001 to 26,000 lbs because so many lawn care and landscaping companies were complaining. But finding these answers were annoying.

Called multiple state departments that didn't know the answer and finally contacted the state police and the Indiana department of revenue motor carrier services. Which both told me about the bill that passed to increase the weights. Crazy
Old 02-27-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let me add that NC handles commercial registration differently and it's tied to the vehicle license plates. In NC you have what are called Weighted license plate. The weighting begins at 7,000 pounds and goes up per 1,000 pounds. Take my truck for example. I have a 9.000 pound tag on my truck. I am actually allowed to weigh up to 9,500 pounds on this tag. If my combined truck, trailer and load weighs 9,501 pounds then I get a ticket for not having a 10,000 pound tag. They throw the first 500 pounds of overweight away.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
No more than 20-25 miles round trip. All I remember them saying was the hours you are from Headquarters until you return. It couldn't be over 11 hours. I told them I'm only on the road for four hours on my longest day and the rest of the day I'm in the office with my other job.

They said all hours count up while the vehicle is out from HQ. It doesn't matter what you are doing. If you are in a commercial vehicle even if it has nothing to do with the business it still counts as DOT time.

The 150 mile rule would certainly help me out.

Here's one for you. A local LCO was out with his rig and had a cooler in back with his lunch in it. Got stopped by DOT and he looked in the cooler with permission from the LCO. Found beer that the LCO didn't know was in there and BOOM 1000 buck fine.

The LCO said he has a truck home with the business sign on it that he doesn't use that much except running around. DOT told him don't be running to the store picking up some beer 'cause he could get busted for it. He said take the sign off and you're good to go. Thats what the did.

You don't want to mess with those DOT guys.
They measure by air miles in radius. You are still obligated to keep timesheets generally within 100 miles you have 12 hours to return to base with I believe 11 hrs max driving. Yes the time log is correct. If you are trucking and you start at 5am you only have a window or I believe 14 hrs to drive whether or not you use it. You can only drive 11 of the 14 hrs but that is your window. So if you leave at 5am drive for an hour and then stay somewhere you can only potentially drive till 7pm that night. After is a violation. You are allowed extension under circumstances like snowy weather.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMmmkay View Post
Isn't that weird though? I feel like every state should abide by the Federal DOT. Now, since I'm in Indiana they passed a Senate bill 74 back in 2010 to increase the weight limit from 10,001 to 26,000 lbs because so many lawn care and landscaping companies were complaining. But finding these answers were annoying.

Called multiple state departments that didn't know the answer and finally contacted the state police and the Indiana department of revenue motor carrier services. Which both told me about the bill that passed to increase the weights. Crazy
I got stopped by DOT about six years ago at a check point and I was fortunate I had almost everything right. The officer did tell me to get a business sign on my truck with a DOT number. He didn't say US or State. It was a 7500 lb trailer and altho I was in DOT territory I didn't do anything until 5 years later when I got another trailer tagged at 10k. It was then that I got my sign on my truck and DOT number.

I waited too long but I'm glad I finally did it. Like I said in another post I don't want any trouble from those guys.

I expect to see them out in full force in a month or two.
Closed Thread