Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Just Starting a Spraying Business

Ok, I've been reading this site for awhile now and there is some great knowledge on here with great information. That being said, I'm looking for feedback. I'm just starting a spraying bsns. I've been certified and have my license, but no experience. I figure I'll have to learn the hard way on some things, but try and learn from others as well.
This will be a side job for me as this is my first venture into entrepreneurship.
My original focus was on spraying for fire ants (a very bad problem in NC), but since I have the sprayer, I figured I could do weeds as well. There in lies my questions. Fire ants are simple, but spraying weeds for the different lawn types and such, it's still very confusing to me and I feel overwhelmed with info. I feel like a dunba$$ after reading some of the informed replies here.

I've been talking to my chem supplier, and they help me out, but I'm concerned about damaging lawns. I'm on the fence, should I get more experience before weed apps, or just take the plunge and learn as I go. I figure it's hard to get the experience if I never try.

Also, thoughts on how to get my name out there. Door to door? I'm already going to do a newspaper ad.
Didn't want to be long-winded but I figured I'd give my background.
Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks