Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

well he's got no choice then but to go under the radar until he turns 18.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

insurance is very wise no matter if your mowing residential or commercial. People are sue happy. Also if an accident happens you want to be covered so it doesn't sink you. I'm not talking about a broken window, that's pocket change compared to a rock hitting a kid in the eye or something worse. A hospital bill in today's time can add up into the 100,000's real quick for a surgery. like the old sayin goes...better to be safe than sorry. But the good thing is you are young so just mow grass until your 18.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

He will need insurance to get the license but he wont need the license until he starts installing. I have no clue why anyone in their right mind would say that 1mil is too much. What if hes mowing a lawn and the neighbor is having a birthday party for their child, a rock happens to fly over to the property and hits someone in their eye? Or what if a rock flies into a glass door? I was just looking at some the other day, they cost $3k. Im sure he wouldnt want to pay that out of pocket, am I right Alex? Now I know he's 17 and like I told him before, he can't get insurance until he's 18 but don't give him the wrong advice. I would just suggest someone else files for an LLC and he can take over when he is of age.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if you injure a person and get sued insurance isn't gonna help you at all.

if they can sue for 2 million over hot coffee at mcdonalds they can sue you for 25 million for hurting or killing their kid.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not looking to do commerical just residential as of now.. I kinda just want to see what I can get client wise and see what I can do my first year then look into all the legal stuff my second year. I am however getting insurance or at least a minimum amount of 300000 and I know I can get because I called an insurance agent and told him my story and got a quote of $715 for a mill
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

NOt sure in NJ. Like u said. BUT if he doesn't need it then he's safe.....

AND if I'm NOT mistaken a person can earn up to 600.00 and NOT claim it......
Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i've only broken one thing in 3 years. a window. i gave the guy $20 and all was good. it was a fluke thing anyways. there was a piece of metal wire in the grass which i couldn't see. i've never seen a 3000 dollar glass door but if you broke that i guess you would just have to make payments on it until you paid it off.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I just looked at my policy and it says I am covered $1,000,000.00 for personal and adv injury and when I opened it my agent told me that was incase my actions did something to injure someone.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason lawn care,

That's not totally true. Don't scare the kid away from the industry. I can sue you for 100 million for shooting me in the face with a spit ball but I highly doubt the courts would rule in favor of that. 1 mill is the standard and it goes up from there. If the above statement were true then insurance agents would be trying to sale general liability insurance in the 25 mil dollar range. When I tell my agent what type of services we offer, she recommends 1 mil because that typically should cover the most common accidents in our industry. Now keep in mind, there is always an exception to the rule. Bottom line is, just start cutting grass in your neighborhood and when you turn 18 shop for insurance and talk to an agent about what will cover your needs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

in my opinion if it's an accident there's no grounds for getting sued in the first place. it's not like you did anything on purpose.

an accident and murder are two different things.