The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

.357 in the truck and always a knife on me
Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
You better believe I carry a gun. I keep it under the console on my benchseat. Also have a baseball bat.

But you gotta remember if a cop pulls you over just pull it out and put it somewhere clearly visible, and when the officer walks up, make sure you establish right away that you have a gun in the truck. They'll bust your ass about that if you dont.
OK. PLEASE DO NOT REACH FOR A FIREARM DURING A TRAFFIC STOP!!!

Regardless of whether or not the officer has exited his vehicle yet.

1. Immediately pull over ON THE ROADWAY and to the right.
2. Keep your hands on the steering wheel until you need to roll your window down.
3. As soon as the officer is at your door explain that there is a firearm in the vehicle and where it is. ie "Sir, I have a permit to carry. There is a handgun under my seat."

My blood pressure thanks you.

And BTW, I don't make a habit of voicing my political opinions, but I will say that I am for lawful citizens having the choice to carry if they so wish.

As someone once said... "I saw a movie once where only the military and police had guns. It was called Schindler's List!"
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I never disclose I'm carrying unless asked directly do you have any weapons? not do you have anything illegal in the truck? because my firearm isn't illegal.

Was just stopped the other day because neighbors called the cops on me. I was at a foreclosed home doing some work. As I was leaving I get pulled over. Cop wants to know where I've been what I was doing. I explained what I was doing and told him I had the WO from the bank on my phone and would like to see it? Showed him the phone, he read the WO then gave me the phone and told me to have a nice day.

Now if I had disclosed to him that I was carrying a firearm I would have been detained much longer and added more drama to the situation.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats not true. most cops are appreciative of citizens legally carrying a weapon and give them more respect. every time i know of when someone had to disclose to an officer (which is the law to do so) it was a 20 second conversation. "i'm concealing a weapon" "where is it" "my hip" "thanks for telling me"

think of it from a business risk point of view. disclose a legal firearm to an officer. risk loosing 30 seconds of your day. OR do not disclose the firearm risking the officer catching a glimpse of it or some other reason to search your vehicle, you then get taken to jail for 30 days and your 30 grand worth of equipment impounded.

the risk outweighs the benefit by the vastness of the sea.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
Thats not true. most cops are appreciative of citizens legally carrying a weapon and give them more respect. every time i know of when someone had to disclose to an officer (which is the law to do so) it was a 20 second conversation. "i'm concealing a weapon" "where is it" "my hip" "thanks for telling me"

think of it from a business risk point of view. disclose a legal firearm to an officer. risk loosing 30 seconds of your day. OR do not disclose the firearm risking the officer catching a glimpse of it or some other reason to search your vehicle, you then get taken to jail for 30 days and your 30 grand worth of equipment impounded.

the risk outweighs the benefit by the vastness of the sea.
How does an officer catch a glimpse of a concealed firearm? Don't know about where you're at but we are not required to disclose. When you come across that cop that's not appreciative and get drug out of the vehicle, thrown on the ground with a knee in your back you might think twice about disclosing voluntarily. I don't volunteer any information. I will continue to do so.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in michigan. the law here states that you have to disclose if its an "official stop".

funny thing is. i once had half the police department here surrounding me because i was carrying a screw driver shaped like a gun in a gun holster (easiest place to put it and get it while on my bike). That cop was nutz, had my screwdriver on the roof of his car still trying to claim i was carrying a weapon. but around here for people with a permit most cops do not even want to see the gun as long as you tell them were it is.

if your state does not require you to disclose then they would not be able to arrest you for not doing so of course. so no risk in that way. i probably wouldn't worry about it then. but I wouldn't worry about a cop dragging me to the ground simply for having a legal gun either. its illegal guns that get you into trouble.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah we are not required to disclose unless asked. It's a choice one must make taking into consideration their state laws. I've known some cops who feel citizens shouldn't be allowed to carry a weapon for defense so I make the choice to only disclose when asked. I know in some states as soon as they run your tag it will come back that you have a CCL and most of those states it is required to disclose immediately upon contact.

This is from an officer with whom I've participated on another forum:

Point is, be cognizant of the fact we don't know you are lawfully carrying a firearm and your not a criminal who just commited an armed robbery at a convenience store.

If you choose to inform an leo, please don't start with, "I have a gun in my waist". Start with, Officer/Deputy, I wanted to make you aware that I have a valid concealed weapons license and am currently armed. How would you like to proceed? When I hear this, I ask where the firearm is and usually inform them to leave it where it's at. Again, this is my personal choice. Some leo's may disarm you and give you a hateful speech because they aren't pro 2nd. This is the other less enjoyable experience.

In the end, Florida doesn't require you to inform so you need to make the decision on how you intend to proceed if you are stopped. Think it through and decide BEFORE it takes place so that you are confident in the moment. Whichever you choose is perfectly fine. It's your decision, not anyone else's.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the difference is in what the officer is expecting. and you do not want to do what is unexpected. here in Michigan its expected to inform the officer. but it sounds like in florida the officer is not expecting it. so informing them there really isnt much of a big deal as they are not used to it from the start
Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I carry a firearm anywhere and EVERYWHERE it is lawful for me to do so. I do not disclose to anyone I am carrying unless a LEO specifically asks.

In this state, a citizen carrying a firearm is not in itself a lawful reason for an LEO to stop you, ask for documentation, etc.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Yeah we are not required to disclose unless asked. It's a choice one must make taking into consideration their state laws. I've known some cops who feel citizens shouldn't be allowed to carry a weapon for defense so I make the choice to only disclose when asked. I know in some states as soon as they run your tag it will come back that you have a CCL and most of those states it is required to disclose immediately upon contact.

This is from an officer with whom I've participated on another forum:

Point is, be cognizant of the fact we don't know you are lawfully carrying a firearm and your not a criminal who just commited an armed robbery at a convenience store.

If you choose to inform an leo, please don't start with, "I have a gun in my waist". Start with, Officer/Deputy, I wanted to make you aware that I have a valid concealed weapons license and am currently armed. How would you like to proceed? When I hear this, I ask where the firearm is and usually inform them to leave it where it's at. Again, this is my personal choice. Some leo's may disarm you and give you a hateful speech because they aren't pro 2nd. This is the other less enjoyable experience.

In the end, Florida doesn't require you to inform so you need to make the decision on how you intend to proceed if you are stopped. Think it through and decide BEFORE it takes place so that you are confident in the moment. Whichever you choose is perfectly fine. It's your decision, not anyone else's.
+1 and excellent advice. Blurting out "I'm carrying a gun" is a no no. Think about it, would that put you at ease, or increase your scrutiny? Never lie about having a weapon. But if its legal, it really is t any of his business here.

And as to the concealed in the car/truck. Here (Missouri) your legal to have a concealed gun in the car. No permit needed. Now if you have it exposed, they call it "brandishing a weapon". Either way reaching for it (to hide it or otherwise) is a good way to get shot.
Posted via Mobile Device