Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of Mow Town View Post
I'm from Australia, so the views on guns are far different here.

Can you please help me understand...are the guns for personal protection or property protection?
both
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm from Canada, I carry a nerf bat!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Can you please help me understand...are the guns for personal protection or property protection?
A bit of each. In certain areas of both North and East St Louis for instance, pulling a trailer with tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment is pretty tempting. Hell, they'll kill you for your I-phone. Such a disregard for life requires Plan-B (Glock). I feed my family with my tools.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Member

My customers would fire me if I carried a weapon. Some even have signs posted on their buildings.

And it ain't like I don't work in rough neighborhoods. I had an account on Gettysburg ave. in west Dayton. It was so bad we'd only go there on Sunday mornings. People walking their pit bull dogs would carry a ball bat or golf club for protection. There was always a murder on Saturday somewhere on Gettysburg ave. We'd laugh it off on our way to work.

I own a 14 round 9mm, but never carry it. And I got pretty good with a handgun as range instructor for 45 cal. in the Army. You can get pretty good when you have an unlimited supply of ammo.

It's just that a gun is such a poor defensive weapon. Look at the Treyvon Martin case in Florida. That guy that shot him is likely to loose his savings, his house and his freedom. In today's political climate you might as well use a suicide bomber's vest as to shoot someone. JMHO
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Some if the younger fellas would just as soon shoot you as look at you. I choose to be prepared. And exactly how would your customer know your packing? It's concealed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
My customers would fire me if I carried a weapon. Some even have signs posted on their buildings.

And it ain't like I don't work in rough neighborhoods. I had an account on Gettysburg ave. in west Dayton. It was so bad we'd only go there on Sunday mornings. People walking their pit bull dogs would carry a ball bat or golf club for protection. There was always a murder on Saturday somewhere on Gettysburg ave. We'd laugh it off on our way to work.

I own a 14 round 9mm, but never carry it. And I got pretty good with a handgun as range instructor for 45 cal. in the Army. You can get pretty good when you have an unlimited supply of ammo.

It's just that a gun is such a poor defensive weapon. Look at the Treyvon Martin case in Florida. That guy that shot him is likely to loose his savings, his house and his freedom. In today's political climate you might as well use a suicide bomber's vest as to shoot someone. JMHO
I certainly respect your opinion and thank you for your service. In my opinion there is a big difference between an armed neiborhood watchman looking for trouble and a man trying to make living and getting held up for $50+k worth of tools which he makes his living with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep my tarus 605 on me. 5 shooter revolver shoots 357 mag
Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

S&W .40 at all times, you just never know. I hope to never have to use it for anything other than just target shooting.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Many Americans use the self-defense mentality.
Many don't understand life in prison, many more own illegal guns, not that it's necessarily illegal for them to have it but many don't register it proper, although they all say it's registered and have all the proper licenses, many do not.

But you can believe one thing, when someone gets shot whether in self-defense or not, at an absolute minimum the shooter is looking at a court case which means showing up in front of a judge over top of criminal charges. Just pulling a gun out in front of a stranger almost translates to going to jail, but here in America many of these so-called gun rights activists don't understand that.

Anyone pulls a gun out in front of me and they will be explaining it to the police.
I so much as see it or tucked away in a holster, I make a phone call.
Don't come within eye sight of me with a weapon.
I have zero tolerance for gun toting bravado.

Last edited by herler; 02-27-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it..
Great quote from alien vs predator lol. But you are right about the younger crowd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device