Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-28-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPlastic View Post
Nice. Sounds like you have alot of work. This is only my 2nd year and i only have 30 customers, all in jackson. Ive had some offers to do bank owned property but they only want to pay $15. I would rather grow slowly and get good long term customers. For the ammount of driving they wanted me to do $15 is wayy to cheep.
They have not got ahold of me on that one yet, well maybe they did last summer. I tried the micken construction thing, it was good till they got way to picky for the prices. Jackson is kinda easy to pick up work in because our only real competition is emerald, the rest don't have that great of reputation. Most have horrible customer service. I work with a local property management company in Jackson and that's gone well for the last couple of years. My work area is 94 from battle creek, to ann arbor, then 12 from ann arbor to coldwater. Also a tip in grass lake you can charge ann arbor prices without the drive and besides me I think there are one other contactor out there that works.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I might go hit up my old boss (we are still cool). He gets his work straight from Safeguard. I think im gunna try and build my buisness myself tho, dont wanna feel like im working for someone else.
We have better local property management companies than working for national ones, the amount of paperwork involved does not make it worth it from what I have seen. There are a few exceptions though.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
$25 up to an acre is still way to cheap. I get $65 for an acre on bank owned and still want to charge more since they are EOW and the grass can get pretty tall in 2 weeks. Thankfully I've only had one in the last year that was an acre.
Yea, i was trying to give a flat rate because most of the lawns were most likely small, and the volume was big enough to keep me busy all summer, 100+ lawns a week plus the 30 i already have would have me maxxed out.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
We have better local property management companies than working for national ones, the amount of paperwork involved does not make it worth it from what I have seen. There are a few exceptions though.
After you get the paperwork out of the way on the first time at a property all you need to do is take pictures (before, during, and after). At least thats my expierence with it. The property preservation part is a huge pain in the dick tho (unless you employ an army of minimum wage slaves)
Old 04-28-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
After you get the paperwork out of the way on the first time at a property all you need to do is take pictures (before, during, and after). At least thats my experience with it. The property preservation part is a huge pain in the dick tho (unless you employ an army of minimum wage slaves)
I had to take 6 before during and after, take pics making sure the shrubs were 12 inches away from the house, if not I had to trim them. No extra money. Then I had to do a walk around of the property with a sheet and check off a bunch of crap, then at the end of the day I had to copy and load everything into the pc send it, and do online meetings and if one piece of foreign debris was in the pic it resulted in a no pay. Were talking a leaf, and all grass had to be bagged.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I had to take 6 before during and after, take pics making sure the shrubs were 12 inches away from the house, if not I had to trim them. No extra money. Then I had to do a walk around of the property with a sheet and check off a bunch of crap, then at the end of the day I had to copy and load everything into the pc send it, and do online meetings and if one piece of foreign debris was in the pic it resulted in a no pay. Were talking a leaf, and all grass had to be bagged.
Posted via Mobile Device
The funny part is almost none of that is required by the bank. It's how they try and get out of paying you for work completed and of course they still get paid.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like we had it easy. Dont think i have the time to deal with all that bs.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
They have not got ahold of me on that one yet, well maybe they did last summer. I tried the micken construction thing, it was good till they got way to picky for the prices. Jackson is kinda easy to pick up work in because our only real competition is emerald, the rest don't have that great of reputation. Most have horrible customer service. I work with a local property management company in Jackson and that's gone well for the last couple of years. My work area is 94 from battle creek, to ann arbor, then 12 from ann arbor to coldwater. Also a tip in grass lake you can charge ann arbor prices without the drive and besides me I think there are one other contactor out there that works.
Dude, that is a huge area to cover. I know we've been on about every single road within that triangle at least once, and many of them hundreds of times. We were down there last weekend driving all around. We plan to move that way sooner or later. You'd be shocked at just how many actual miles we've driven on all those roads over the last decade + looking at property etc, and just getting away from here for the day. It's north of 100K now. We've kept track of it.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Nice. Sounds like you have alot of work. This is only my 2nd year and i only have 30 customers, all in jackson. Ive had some offers to do bank owned property but they only want to pay $15. I would rather grow slowly and get good long term customers. For the ammount of driving they wanted me to do $15 is wayy to cheep.
what am I doing wrong?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
what am I doing wrong?
What do you mean ?