Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #461  
Old 08-25-2013, 02:39 AM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
If you have a activist streak in you, you should volunteer or advertise offering gun safety classes for your community, and focus on the youth in your area.
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 AM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Oh I understand now, ya.... activisim is a double edged sword, so you kinda 1/2 wanted him to drop a dime on you.
I'm not sure what "drop a dime on you" means. all i expect from the officers are to talk with me for a moment, check my reccord if i chose to give them my id (there is an exemption in michigan stating you do not have to identify if the only reason you were approached was because you were carrying a weapon, i chose to give my id when they ask) and just be sure i'm not a gun nut bent on getting on the news before i shoot myself. I know many people record their interactions and put them on youtube where they are seeking a confrontation with the police. they are confrontational and do not cooperate. The interaction yesterday was not at all like this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 AM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
If you have a activist streak in you, you should volunteer or advertise offering gun safety classes for your community, and focus on the youth in your area.
Not sure i'm qualified for that quite yet. I would like to do something. I'v thought about getting together with a lawyer and selling a class teaching the gun laws in depth.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 08-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I'm not sure what "drop a dime on you" means. all i expect from the officers are to talk with me for a moment, check my reccord if i chose to give them my id (there is an exemption in michigan stating you do not have to identify if the only reason you were approached was because you were carrying a weapon, i chose to give my id when they ask) and just be sure i'm not a gun nut bent on getting on the news before i shoot myself. I know many people record their interactions and put them on youtube where they are seeking a confrontation with the police. they are confrontational and do not cooperate. The interaction yesterday was not at all like this.

Drop a dime is make a call.... long time ago before cell phones all calls made from outside the home were from a phone booth that cost a dime
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 08-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
You had to show I'd in this case the Leo was called to you so the police were formally "dispatched" to you at your last known location. You were not just walking down the street minding your own business and the Leos just happend by and saw you... In this instance you would not have to show I'd.
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 08-25-2013, 11:33 AM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,920
The law states if the only reason the officer is stopping you is because you are open carrying you do not have to give your id.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 08-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
The law states if the only reason the officer is stopping you is because you are open carrying you do not have to give your id.

Ya that's intresting how 2 people can so differently interpret the law..
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 AM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,920
This law has legal president. furthermore it is against the law for an officer to detain you without probable cause, its been established that simply possessing a firearm is not probable cause. an officer cannot demand your id unless you are being detained. so if he wants to stop you, and wants to demand an id, the officer must either have probable cause, or admit to stopping you for having a firearm, in which point the department would be liable for civil suite.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 08-25-2013, 11:53 AM
GrassGuerilla GrassGuerilla is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 1,420
Funny, you think displaying your side arm at a church function is going to help pro-gun activism? I suspect you did just the opposite.

As to protecting your family, I understand the need and desire. But open carrying turns you into a target by a perspective bad guy. You are giving up your strategic advantage of "surprise, I have a gun too". Think more in terms of how to best protect yourself and your family. Carrying a weapon is no way to prosthelitize.

Carrying a gun openly in public may be your right, but it certainly doesn't qualify as activism. And please, don't compare open carry and your enthusiasm to Martin Luther King. Martin Luther King was a GREAT example of peaceful protest. Carrying a gun openly is about the opposite.

You want to make an impression? Quit trying to force your view on those around you. Carry silently, be prepared. Should a "bad guy" decide to show himself and break the law, you'll be much better prepared.

Yes, I carry daily. No, most that know me have no idea.
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
Their is something missing their is more hear, you knew this pastor you said you worked for him at one time, you were with your wife and child as a family, together... people know who you are, but all this and the police were still called on your family. What's missing.....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Page generated in 0.08887 seconds with 8 queries