The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-13-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Concealing a firearm is no longer a right
Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Do you carry a spare tire in your vehicle all the time? If you do, isn't that a bit of overkill? Do you fill up your vehicle's gas tank all the time? If you do, isn't that a bit of overkill? Do you carry a cellphone all the time? If you do, isn't that a bit of overkill? Do you carry keys you don't use frequently on your key chain all the time? If you do, isn't that a bit of overkill? Do you carry a first aid kit in your truck all the time? If you do, isn't that a bit of overkill?

It neither helps nor hinders my business.

Your imagination isn't accurate. One's choice to freely exercise their rights by legally carry a concealed firearm has absolutely nothing to do with the types of clients our businesses service nor the area of the country we live. It has more to do with being personally responsible for our own safety at all times.
To each their own. I don't feel it's particularly responsible to have loaded firearms around more than needed. Personally, I think it increases the chance of violence and decreases safety for all parties. I imagine you disagree, and that's ok.

Regarding the other items you mentioned, I'm not sure how many accidental spare tire deaths happened in the US last year, but my gut feeling is that it's lower than accidental firearm deaths. I could be wrong.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Accidental firearm deaths tipically happen at home. When carrying a firearm the only way to accidentally kill someone would be to unholster the gun, point it at someone and then pull the trigger. This is something that can't happen accidently. Guns cannot go off on their own. No one is actually in danger just because someone has a firearm under their belt.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shooner View Post
To each their own. I don't feel it's particularly responsible to have loaded firearms around more than needed.
There is nothing remotely irresponsible about the way I carry a loaded firearm on my person. Just because you might not be able to be responsible with a firearm doesn't mean everyone else is equally irresponsible. If you believe it is irresponsible for you to be carrying a loaded firearm then perhaps you have made a wise choice by not carrying a loaded firearm but don't project your own internal fears and insecurities onto others by suggesting that their behavior is irresponsible. No firearm has ever jumped out of its holster on its own and shot a person.

Quote:
Personally, I think it increases the chance of violence and decreases safety for all parties. I imagine you disagree, and that's ok.
Actually you should do some research because the facts completely disagree with you. The presence of a concealed firearm tends to deescalate potentially violent situations because the law abiding concealed handgun carriers tend to have more control over their egos and they work to deescalate confrontations where other less law abiding people tend to escalate a confrontation. Also, there is an increased chance of the victim of an attack surviving an altercation with less injuries if the victim is armed.

Quote:
Regarding the other items you mentioned, I'm not sure how many accidental spare tire deaths happened in the US last year, but my gut feeling is that it's lower than accidental firearm deaths. I could be wrong.
Show me one incident where a firearm has acted completely on its own and killed someone. There are way more accidental deaths attributed to automobile accidents than firearm related accidents. The number of people killed in automobile-related deaths annually is approximately three times higher than the number of people killed by all gun-related deaths combined (not just accidental deaths and not just from concealed handguns…suicides by firearm, killed by law enforcement, etc.) -- handgun, shotgun, and rifle. According to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the total number of deaths related to automobiles in 2009 was 34,485. In other words, more people died via automobiles in 2009 alone than died in gun-related deaths for the years 2005, 2006, and 2007 combined. According to the CDC, more people died from falls in 2009 alone than died in gun-related deaths for the years 2009, 2010, and most of 2011 combined. (Total number of deaths via falls in 2009 was 24,792.) Driving down the interstate and climbing rocks and ladders and walking up and down the stairs in your home is exceedingly dangerous when compared with owning and using handguns, shotguns, and rifles.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
There is nothing remotely irresponsible about the way I carry a loaded firearm on my person. Just because you might not be able to be responsible with a firearm doesn't mean everyone else is equally irresponsible. If you believe it is irresponsible for you to be carrying a loaded firearm then perhaps you have made a wise choice by not carrying a loaded firearm but don't project your own internal fears and insecurities onto others by suggesting that their behavior is irresponsible. No firearm has ever jumped out of its holster on its own and shot a person.

Actually you should do some research because the facts completely disagree with you. The presence of a concealed firearm tends to deescalate potentially violent situations because the law abiding concealed handgun carriers tend to have more control over their egos and they work to deescalate confrontations where other less law abiding people tend to escalate a confrontation. Also, there is an increased chance of the victim of an attack surviving an altercation with less injuries if the victim is armed.

Show me one incident where a firearm has acted completely on its own and killed someone. There are way more accidental deaths attributed to automobile accidents than firearm related accidents. The number of people killed in automobile-related deaths annually is approximately three times higher than the number of people killed by all gun-related deaths combined (not just accidental deaths and not just from concealed handguns…suicides by firearm, killed by law enforcement, etc.) -- handgun, shotgun, and rifle. According to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the total number of deaths related to automobiles in 2009 was 34,485. In other words, more people died via automobiles in 2009 alone than died in gun-related deaths for the years 2005, 2006, and 2007 combined. According to the CDC, more people died from falls in 2009 alone than died in gun-related deaths for the years 2009, 2010, and most of 2011 combined. (Total number of deaths via falls in 2009 was 24,792.) Driving down the interstate and climbing rocks and ladders and walking up and down the stairs in your home is exceedingly dangerous when compared with owning and using handguns, shotguns, and rifles.
My guns work perfectly. but the rail going down my front steps is a little wobbly.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Good for you, I'm glad you believe strongly in your opinion. I tend to disagree, and that's ok.

I mostly began my comments because I have a gut feeling that some clients would prefer to not have a contractor carrying a firearm on their property, and I was curious if that held any bearing on hall's decision to carry or not. Apparently not. Have fun, be safe, good luck this year.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

its not opinion. its backed up with statistics facts and raw data.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I meant it's an opinion that it's a good idea.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can back that one up with facts too. Anyone that studies history knows what happens when a subject race allows itself to be disarmed
Old 02-13-2014, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, I'm done here.