Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2003, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok I changed 'Trim' To trimming, cut out all for, and replaced 'Most' and I cut the coupon out and put free estimates, anything else I should do?
Old 02-07-2003, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: is the luck of the irish that I wish you the top of the day. As morning is only so long. From a lost irishman in Joplin, Missouri
To be honest dont sell yourself short.Do a search here and you will find lots of idea's on flyers.Sometimes you can say to much in a flyer and that makes it look cheap.And never say price. Plus you will have a hard time making money if you give that half off for the first cut.Make it three cuts and get the fourth a % off. Just my two cents worth
Old 02-07-2003, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Look above at what I said. I took off several key things, and I feel that I need to be blunt about my price since it beats many of your guys. And the way I have advertised in the past, it has worked out quite well
Old 02-07-2003, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

hey for the price i think it a bad ideal and some of the other guys agree with me. think of this what if you sent a flier to a house and they give it to another person that has a huge yard and they would use the discount and only have to pay you $10. so think of that and change it.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by challenger55
hey for the price i think it a bad ideal and some of the other guys agree with me. think of this what if you sent a flier to a house and they give it to another person that has a huge yard and they would use the discount and only have to pay you $10. so think of that and change it.
Yo, I changed it, and yes i will be blunt with my prices. You gotta be direct in business, you dont need to have people hunting you down. Most like a price flat out, and since it says 'most' they get the hint that there is flex in that price. well thanks for opinions, I have changed my flyer and I hope it works out well

thanx
Old 02-07-2003, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"was thinking about that, but its no biggie, its just a lawn flyer...not a thesis statement or a book..."

Yaa and its just cuttin grass. Heck anybody can do it. Maybe a freshman can come along and do it for $15.00 then he can be beatin your prices.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

lol for me it is
Old 02-07-2003, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious...Insurance? Does Uncle Sam know you exist? I guess what I'm asking is are you legit? If you send a rock into suzie's head do you have liability insurance?

I do think you probably have found a GREAT way to make $$ while going to college. I just wonder if we crossed the line of professionalism vs quick cash and run.

Used to be you would have already been roasted for hitting such lowball pricing (and bragging about it as a great marketing technique). Now everybody just wants to jump in and help with advice. Not gentle urgings to be professional and legitimate but rather advice on how to continue helping to keep the industry prices and levels of respect desperately low.

Maybe you do keep records, pay your taxes, and protect yourself and your customers by carrying insurance, if so I have misread and kudos to you for being sucessful these last 4 seasons.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I am low, but it the price seems to help influence a lot of people in my area. Everyone is cheap, and my prices most likely do well. Currently, no, I do not have insurance, but this year I will most likely get it. I am a growing company, and am trying to improve on everything (just found this site recently). I have developed long term relations with most of my customers, most of them have stayed with me for 3 years or so, and I am just using this to build upon my base already of twenty people or so. I apologize if I offend anybody by saying I am lowering the standards, but keep in mind, that I haven't had years of experience, I haven't had to rely on this work for living expenses, I haven't had to work with employees. This and other stuff makes up several reasons, which perhaps set my overall ethic and standards below you. I'm sorry if I'm in a different situation here, but I'm just trying to come to the boards to suggest my opinion (which I know differs from a lot of people). Sure I may get a lot of ridicule, but I sure as heck am not going to let you guys discourage me from doing what I like to do, which is having fun, and mowing lawns for a few extra buck to pay for school.

Jason
Old 02-07-2003, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

having fun, and mowing lawns for a few extra buck to pay for school.

No sweat. Sounds like you are doing well at it.