Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-08-2003, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: is the luck of the irish that I wish you the top of the day. As morning is only so long. From a lost irishman in Joplin, Missouri
Jason you sound like a nice young man. Plus your are going to purdue which both my parents attended. Your are right dont let anyone discourage you.Plus I was raised in your area.I know what you are up against. I grew up in park ridge and worked at medinah golf course near you.Dont take offense for anyone giving you advice.Hope you have a great summer working. But do yourself a favor you are too old not to do it legit .Get a license,insurance.Jason you are not 16 no more.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is it just me or am I the only one who see's this as a prime example of what the professionals who have licenses and run a ligit business deal with every day. What bothers me is that I find these things every year and helps show why ligit business can't compete and should not have to with the flyer bombers. With out taking all of my disguist out on you I will stop here and say your fler looks fine.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnhenry
Jason you sound like a nice young man. Plus your are going to purdue which both my parents attended. Your are right dont let anyone discourage you.Plus I was raised in your area.I know what you are up against. I grew up in park ridge and worked at medinah golf course near you.Dont take offense for anyone giving you advice.Hope you have a great summer working. But do yourself a favor you are too old not to do it legit .Get a license,insurance.Jason you are not 16 no more.
Thank you for your support, I am working on that as we speak, I learned a lot of this stuff after I came to this site, and this site has helped me shape my business for the better. Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I usually get a lot of calls from people around Aug. Sept. telling me how they need somone to cut there lawn cuz there lawn guy is going back to collage.

Lawndog said a mouthfull and it is very hard to run a ligit bizz when guy are out there cutting $35 lawns for $20. Most of those people that call cuz there guy is going back to school freak when I give My price. And the ones that do accept my price I dont do it unless they sign for the following yr.

Your flier is OK Id change the font to somthing a little less bulky
I always used colored paper (green) insted of color ink cuz color copies were a $1ea at kinkos verses .05ea for black ink on green paper. But now I use a proffesional print shop for color door hangers
Old 02-08-2003, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah Ive been printing these off a color laser jet, so its all free. But anyways. Thanks for the comments (most werent about the flyer) but ive got it down to a finalized form, thank you
Old 02-08-2003, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawn DOG
Is it just me or am I the only one who see's this as a prime example of what the professionals who have licenses and run a ligit business deal with every day. What bothers me is that I find these things every year and helps show why ligit business can't compete and should not have to with the flyer bombers. With out taking all of my disguist out on you I will stop here and say your fler looks fine.
I feel your pain Lawn DOG.I know when most people start they do not get insurance and pay taxes and all that stuff, but after a few years one should at least get insurance. If I had anything to do with it....it would be the law.

Flier looks fine.

MATT

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-08-2003, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

OK you must not be doing high volume printing cuz ink cartridges are expencive Id get like 100 fliers and be out of color. bang $50 for more color ink. just my past experience.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Laser printers can go thousands of copies per toner. Ink jets are the ones that go slow . I can probably get 1000 of these off the computer before the toner goes bad
Old 02-08-2003, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

and a laser toner costs 3 times as much. Its far from free. You asked for advice so to me that means you want the truth, not a pat on the back. Your plan doesn't work, you would be better off working for someone else @ 8 bucks an hour then mowing a yard for $20. Your not the first one to try the "underbid" strategy, it just is too hard to raise prices once you get the account and you cant net enough money @ $20 per to legitimize the risks you take. Take the advice you get on here seriously, most of us are looking out for you.
The flyer layout is fine.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Free for me, I pay my technology fees to the school, so im just getting my monies worth. and btw, none of you guys can stop me from what im doing. i wont be discouraged despite whatever you say