Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2003, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah it works pretty well since i have takeover in the fall and everyone doesnt mind. I was in the same situation before and it worked out fine last year
Old 02-09-2003, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that the flyer looks good. Although I have the same feelings as some of the other here about the pricing. Pricing like this makes it hard for all of us that are in it for the long haul. What happens when you graduate? Are you going to continue servicing your customers? Or are the other companies now going to have to explain to these customers why they have to charge twice as much?
Old 02-09-2003, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Arguing with him about his $25 price......

What's the point; you can't see the lawns he will be doing, he said about 3-8k and for me the price of $25 is $2 lower than my minimum charge.

So what's the complaining about again?
Old 02-09-2003, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone. Just every spring we see the guy with the new mower and trailer. No insurance, no taxes, and no idea what he's doing. They go out and price these properties so low that when they go out of business we look like the jerk because we do it right.
Hey- if he is legitimate, paying taxes and insurances like the rest of us and only has to charge that kind of money to make money then more power to him. I think that's great.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At those prices you would be lucky if I honked when I drove by.
Excuse me for making a living. My mortgage, medical ins, college funds for my children, retirement funds, auto ins etc................... Ain't getting paid by chump change. After reading these post I still don't think you get it..... It is one thing when your mowing mommy and daddy's lawn and grammy and pappy and a couple of neighbors but once you start putting out flyers and trying to look like a business. You better watch out for the guy's that are the real deal. You will always be cheaper... Remember that...
No pats on the back here.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya Lawn DOG. My thought exactly
Old 02-10-2003, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawn DOG
At those prices you would be lucky if I honked when I drove by.
Excuse me for making a living. My mortgage, medical ins, college funds for my children, retirement funds, auto ins etc................... Ain't getting paid by chump change. After reading these post I still don't think you get it..... It is one thing when your mowing mommy and daddy's lawn and grammy and pappy and a couple of neighbors but once you start putting out flyers and trying to look like a business. You better watch out for the guy's that are the real deal. You will always be cheaper... Remember that...
No pats on the back here.
good..i dont need any..
Old 02-10-2003, 03:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Your flier is fine- but I would loose the price and college student thing as well

Try to project a professional image

try to get your pricing close to other contractors in your area-as discussed before more money for less hours worked or much more money for the hours you do work(play with the numbers ,you will be amazed)

I know that it is paying your way for studies at the moment but why not build it up ,so you can sell it as a viable business in the future.

thanks

Andrew
Old 02-10-2003, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What if he had all the lawns in an area that consisted of 3-4 blocks....would he have "your approval" then?

You guys are starting to sound like the lawn mowers mob.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

LOL @ Lawn DOG!! I hear the Honk man!! As far as Andrew S, why should he lose the college student thing, and protect his professional image? Then he would be lying. He's not a professional. I think that is the point everyone is getting at. All of us legit companies that get smacked around because were paying liscenses, Insurance & unemployment prices out of our @sses. Then you have someone going around and dropping their draws to make some "extra" cash. I know in my neck of the woods, if you "stole" someone elses customer they would be on your @ss doing research to find if you were liscensed or not. If they found you were not, you better believe the next time you were working on their lawn they would be out there taking pictures of you!

I have no problems with the college kid that needs to make some money. All I am saying is to keep the "going rate" alive. And we are not the "mob" Nebraska, we just have families, mortgages, and companies to take care of!

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>