Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Storage

Ok so I am running into another problem starting my business... A place to store my equipment overnight. I planned on using a shed but that doesn't look like it will happen (long story), so I am thinking a public storage unit. Is this a good idea or not?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

think about getting an enclosed trailer, intstead of paying for storage put that money into something that will be yours
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I am just starting out this year, 18 years old. Currently I will be running out of the bed of my truck.

Luckily, living with my parents while attending college lets me have access to our shed, the size of a small house, and it has a good amount of room to store equipment this year. I have already begun planning for next year, as I am looking at upgrading my mower which will require that I get a trailer, which may be a tight fit getting into the spot at my house just due to the road width, and our driveways design.

So public storage may be my best option. If you have room for trailer and other equipment but are looking for a shed, you can get some smaller ones that could probably fit a mower and most of your other equipment cheap sometimes, or build one if you have the space?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

at one point long time ago i lived in a townhouse with nowhere to park equipment. i had to rent a storage unit for all my stuff, which was 85 a month, then another 30 to park a trailer on the lot. at one point i had a garage sized unit for 135 but i could hardly get the trailer in and out the door. It sounds like its your only option though, unless you can get a box truck or enclosed trailer to keep everything in.. then at the very least you may have to pay to park that if you cant park it where you live. I hated having my stuff in storage because those places have been notorious for getting broken into around where i was living at the time.. had no choice.. i picked the most secure one i could find that was close by.. I used it for 2 years with no problems. if you do it this way, i'd make sure you have some kinda insurance on your stuff.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a storage unit. IMO if you don't have the space for your things, this is a great way to go. I rent a 10x20 + trailer parking for $175/month.

I have electricity, shelving, and plenty of space for my equipment. It's locked, barb wire gate, the gate access is 24/7 and you must have a pass code. It's nice and I feel secure.

I started with a 10x10 but outgrew it quickly. Moved to a 10x15 and. Now I'm in a 10x20. I'll probably wait for another unit and rent it. Then maybe start saving for land and a shop. But the security of the gate, coupled with being one of 200 units in the facility, sort of "masks" my equipment even more. It is pretty nice for us guys who live in an HOA where you aren't allowed this type of set up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by 205mx; 02-27-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

YES!!!!! it's A GREAT IDEAL....

BUT PLEASE DONT FORGET. it's a GREAT tax deduction.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
YES!!!!! it's A GREAT IDEAL....

BUT PLEASE DONT FORGET. it's a GREAT tax deduction.
Yes,but if you can find a private person to rent out a garage,might be cheaper. Also check with your insurance agent,you might not be covered if your storing it off site.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey bud,, fellow masshole here... From Malden originally but living in upstate new york now.... Have you looked into those Pods? Not sure if you have the room at your place but I believe that they are cheaper than actual rental units..
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

THE price is NOT an issue.....

they are so cheap if a company cant afford 60 to 95.00 Per month.

CLOSE YOUR DOORS

your inland marine will cover. in fact if you store at home you will need to inform your home owners because if it's over like 17 HP you have to pay more.

I woul BE VERY CAREFULL about finding a friend/private person. Trust me. THEY WILL NOT HAVE INSURANCE.
and security will be a JOKE
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My insurance states equipment is to be stored on site.