Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

where has the quality gone?

So I am working at my house today trying to get all I can done before mowing starts and I am slammed. I decided I need a new set of loppers so I ran up to my local hardware store and got a set, they were like $23 and change. I get home and go to work and about 5 cuts in they totally break in half at the cutting end. I am not mad just pissed and surprised I guess. Went back to the store (more gas) and replaced them with the $35 pair no problem and I am back at work. What happened to stuff lasting and being worth your money? If a lot of manufacturers took as much pride in their product as we do in our services I think we would be a lot better off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been there brother!! I try now to buy the big one first if it is reasonably priced. Its a pain in the....
Old 02-27-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I agree its all about making money off there product , I break probally 5 pair of hand snips a year , that or the blade bends etc , and I get fiskars , corona , decent stuff , so stuff just doesent last long , just look at hand tools , use to be craftsman was a good screwdriver or ratchet now return a hand full of crap every year to be replaced with even cheaper crap. same way with trucks and everything else. job security for them , they know we will be back to buy more. lol
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it has something to do with "NOT made in USA"
Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

That's just it, job security. I have no problem paying high dollar for good stuff as apposed to wasting gas going back and forth to a store to return it. This is one of the main reasons I shop local, they know me and know I don't abuse stuff so swaps are effortless. What I bought is True Temper which is on and I have never had any problems out of. Who knows maybe I just got a set made on Monday of Friday.

Let's make that dollar now and when it breaks they will buy another. Ugh, go screw.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just about a month ago when I was doing clean ups my rake that I had just gotten like two weeks before from home depot for like $30 broke. The handle just broke, snap, like that! I swear I go through about 3-4 rakes and 3-4 shovels a year, because they get bent, handles break, teeth get bent. I probably spend close to $200 a year just on rakes and shovel handles.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just an fyi for you guys i switched my hand tools like shovels rakes ect to kobalt from lowes. they have a lifetime no questions asked guarantee. broken shovel handle bring it in walk out with a new one. I have returned my impact gun to them twice now no questions asked gave me a new one. as far as ratchets and wrenches stuff like that i use craftsman. took a ratchet back to them and got a refurbished one... we shall see how long this one lasts
Old 02-27-2013, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the worst part is everything is so cheap now but yet costs 5 times as much as it used to when things were good quality. it just doesn't add up. someone is getting rich and laughing at all of us at the same time.

i thought the whole point of making stuff in china was because it didn't cost as much. why are the prices so much higher then?

anyways i bought 2 pairs of fiskars loppers at walmart last year and they've held up really well for me. one pair was $20 and the other was about $30.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I went an bought a shovel last year after my hanbdle broke on my 20 year old shovel. First rock I try and pry out bends the shovel head.... garbage

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you just gotta find out what to buy and what not to buy. i actually bought a shovel last year for $5. it was made in china or whatever but it is a great shovel. hasn't broken, bent or anything.

we all want things like they used to be where you bought 1 shovel and it lasted you the rest of your life. things just aren't like that anymore. they died when our grandparents died unfortunately.

me and my dad still have tools like shovels and such that belonged to my grandfathers. they owned them for 30 years at least and they are still being used by us today.