Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I have a 5 gallon bucket of broken Snapon tools. A whole lot of the dealers went out of business, and the ones left wont warranty anything unless your buying a bunch of stuff from them.
I was a master tech for 12 years. Never had a problem with Snap-On warranty. They do break but the difference is the craftsman break every week, Snap-On would last years. We worked 50-60 hours per week with tools in hand the whole time. Ive used just about every tool made over the years. If you cant get your dealer to replace your tools call Snap-On direct so they can rip him a new azz.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
What tixx me off is everyone wants to sell a extended warrany, which they never honor.
that is one of the rules i live by.

never buy a warranty of any kind on anything you buy.

if it was gonna break during that time they wouldn't even offer a warranty to begin with. sure it can happen but it's rare.

that's just a way of cheating you out of more money.

you automatically get a 30 day warranty when you buy anything from any store for free. usually if it's a lemon or something it's gonna break during that time period.

take a toyota truck for example. they give you a 40k mile warranty and offer an extended warranty to 100k that you have to pay for. anyone with a brain wouldn't buy the extended warranty. the truck will last 250k miles or more with no issues so why do you need a warranty? the best warranty is just to take care of things and keep up on the maintenance.

this is what i've done my whole life and i've never had one time where i said to myself. i wish i had bought a warranty. i've never had anything break during that time frame which a warranty would have covered. i did buy a pushmower from sears that messed up the first time i used it. i just took it back and they gave me a new one which has lasted over 10 years now.

Last edited by weeze; 02-27-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Lawns View Post
I have pretty much 90% snap on tools from when I worked for Caterpillar and I never have a problem swapping them. I think a lot depends on the guy holding the franchise in that area. I am just down the road from you Larry , if u want me to swap them let me k ow I will help u out.
Might have to take you up on that.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i thought craftsman had a lifetime warranty on all of their tools? they don't do that anymore?
Most of those warranties are against breakage. Which is pretty worthless.

Snap-On warranties against stuff like the jaws of an open ended wrench spreading. They have a guage right in the truck to measure how much the jaws have spread. Too much and you get a new wrench, though the old one looks OK. They're a real stickler for abuse though. Any sign of a hammer blow to the wrench or a sign you've used a pipe for leverage and the warranty's void.

I use S&K. They're a good affordable tool. And I keep them locked up on the truck. I keep Crapsman, Harbor Freight etc. in the shop for the kids to throw around. If they get put away it's usually their girlfriends that do it. If I want to find anything I have to think like a girl. All the stuff with handles in one drawer, all the "tools" in another, metric & SAE all mixed together.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Lawns View Post
What happened to stuff lasting and being worth your money? If a lot of manufacturers took as much pride in their product as we do in our services I think we would be a lot better off.
The quality of the tools hasn't changed. Back in the day you could get cheap tools that would break too. What has changed is the quality of your money.

What most people don't know is that inflation is not normal. The value of our currency was fairly constant from the start of our country right up until the Federal Reserve was created. Only then did currency devaluation (also known as product price inflation) take hold. And it has been screaming over the last 10 years.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Richard, you post that like it's a bad thing. For myself, in debt up to my ears that's good news! By the time I get my debts paid off the money will be worthless!

Who keeps their assets in cash anyway? Well, other than my ex-wife's grandma. She inherited two family farms in the 1950's. She sold one and put the money in the bank in a simple interest savings account. She didn't trust financial planners.
I told my son had she invested in the stock market at that time you'd be a rich man right now. But she managed her assets based on her fears alone.

No, cash is not a good investment. It's fluid. Do you know what ain't? GOLD!

In the 1800's the cost of a good suit of clothes was equal to an ounce of gold, at that time about $15
Today the cost of a good suit of clothes is equal to about one ounce of gold, just under $1600!

Jeez, if she had even bought $175,000 worth of gold certificates in the 50's she could have kept the value of her assets. Back then gold was $35/oz. Of course the stock market took off like a moon shot.

Yeah Richard, it's bad days for hoarders. It always has been.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You get what you pay for. Buy the right tool once. I bought a few sets of Corona Loppers, they were $75 or so. Ive cut stuff thicker than grease tubes with ease, keep em clean and they stay sharp.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Craftsman doesn't honor their replacement warranty to commerical use. My brother, who's a mechanic at a nissan dealership, had a craftsman socket set and wrenches for the 1in to 2in. Hardly ever used them, maybe once or twice a year, we short story he broke one. Ran into a sears on way home from work with his dealership shirt on and was told "No commerical use warranty".

Myself I hardly don't use wrenches to the extent of what he does. I'm fine with the menards special buy. If it breaks, right into the scrap steel bin, and off to a box mart to get 2 more of the same size.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

built to last Duralast

Old 02-28-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I use as many tools as I can from the 80's and before. Garage sales are great places to find tools that were built to last.