Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Small or large? The large ones roll out easy with a tractor and cover so much square footage vs chuckin small rolls or as some places use, squares. Typicall we have 2x5 rolls and they get heavy after a while. When I did the large rolls we had 2-3 guys on the ground straightening, guy in the tractor, and one more guy for whatever. Town job of course, one guy just needs to be standing around watching.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

im pricing centipede and Tiffway 419 Bermuda in the mini rolls. 500sqft/pallet is $130. and St. Aug at $165/pallet for 450sqft.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My price picked up is 19 cents/sqft. For a job this size it's 19.5 cents/sqft delivered plus a 2% fuel charge. A smaller job such as less than 1000 sqft would be 28 cents/sqft delivered. This is for Kentucky bluegrass. A pallet here would be 700 sqft or $133 but you can get any amount.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok so I got to check the place out today. Looks like a ton of prep work is needed. It is truly raw ground as it is a new build. So a higher price doesn't make me squirm so much now.

My question is for those who have prepared this type of ground, which machine + attachment(s) did you find the best in preparing this type of ground. I've done the smaller jobs where we sod cut and then lay new lawn and those are rather small. This is real rough dirt that's full of roots and stones. My options for rentals as I do not own a large piece of equipment would be

Tractor with Tiller, Harley Rake, Box Blade or combination of rentals

Or

SKid Steer with similar rentals.

I feel like I will also be needing to bring in a ton of soil to make the ground high enough up to the sidewalks and driveway. I could see the stone the concrete was set on. I'm plenty confident I can complete this job with the right direction in equipment. Attached are photos, sorry there is still a little snow on the ground. But the ground is definitely rough fill.

Any help appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I would run a soil conditioner over it and remove all debris. Im not sure what attachments you can get for a tractor since i always use a skid steer but a soil conditioner or a rock rake would be my preferred methods.

Its hard to tell from the pics how big the yard actually is but you may be better off buying the sod by the pallet instead of you using rolls. We only use the big rolls if its a really large area.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's nearly 15,000 sqft. The savings in hand labor alone I think is worth it. Each side and back yard is 150-175 ft long. Like I said I used the rolls on ball infields and it went quickly. I don't have 5 laborers.

Thanks on the attachment suggestions. There are huge clods all over and tons of roots if that makes any difference. The land is not remotely prepared.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Skid steer and Harley rake is all you need about 4 men. You should be able to do that in 2 days completed.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Will a Harley rake break up huge chunks (1' x .5') of clay soil?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
im pricing centipede and Tiffway 419 Bermuda in the mini rolls. 500sqft/pallet is $130. and St. Aug at $165/pallet for 450sqft.
Where are u getting ur prices from? We deal with Kraft Turf Farms out of gulf shores alabama and they have the best quality and are cheeper. I did job last year for the city and used 30 pallets of ST. Aug and it was some of the best sod i have ever seen.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is how I would tackle the job. I am just like bigred350. 2 days with a skid steer, harley rake, and 4 guys. One day of prepping, I would get one guy to harley rake entire job while other 3 are working edges. By 12pm it should be time to get the dirt hauled in to bring drive and sidewalks to grade. You should be able to have a majority of debris piled up. You can load the debris in the truck that dumps the topsoil and that might save you a couple bucks.

I think big rolls on that job is probably not going to work real well. I think you really need wide open spaces to take advantage of the big rolls. Otherwise, it will be alot of piecing things together and that can eat man hours.

On our last job we did 150,000k sq ft and I tracked my man hours on big rolls, dingo rolls, and pallets. The big rolls were very fast if it was wide open, but if we got caught in tight areas with alot of cuts it really cut down on productivity. We did 3 truck loads one day which is 30k sq ft.

The dingo rolls are less grueling on the crew, but really are not any faster than having 4 guys doing it with pallets. And sometimes shipping can cost you more on the dingo rolls since here DOT wont let them double stack them.