Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Cool spring...

Well, thankfully today is only our second complete washout of the season so far (tomorrow is probably the third), but in all the years of doing this, this past April and so far in May has to be about the coolest times I can remember.

It's been in the upper 30's several mornings getting in the trucks and not getting much into the lower 60's. Last year our first cut was March 19, this year April 11. Seems like it's a pattern just around a 150 mile radius around here. Oh well, at least it's not snow...
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

But the soil temps are up so the grass keeps growing! Cooler air temps only mean we're going to be miserable working.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We haven't had our '1st cut' yet,,, and it has been that way around here before...

We've been spoiled by the past 30 years,,, but now it seems we're going back to Z3, with our ALF(Average Last Frost) but from the thermometers OUTSIDE the heat islands of concrete...
Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This feel's like what springtime felt like 25 year's ago. This is the first time in recent memory that spring has lasted more than a month in my area. But don't worry, we'll probably have a drought next year, i don't see this as anything more than a fluke.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
But the soil temps are up so the grass keeps growing! Cooler air temps only mean we're going to be miserable working.
it's pretty mountainous around here, I've got GPS in the trucks and we've got properties from just over 2800' down to 1650' feet... it's nothing to see a 20 degree temp change over the course of a route. You can look out on the mountain where a few properties are and see where the trees are just starting to put out about 1/2 the way up now. Yes, the grass is growing up there but you gotta remember to put on the UA cold gear and be ready to shed it when you come down!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
This feel's like what springtime felt like 25 year's ago. This is the first time in recent memory that spring has lasted more than a month in my area. But don't worry, we'll probably have a drought next year, i don't see this as anything more than a fluke.
Doesn't the 25yr Cycle, 50yr Cycle and 100yr cycle get acknowledged anymore in our "educational institutions"???
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Doesn't the 25yr Cycle, 50yr Cycle and 100yr cycle get acknowledged anymore in our "educational institutions"???
Nope. Only global warming caused by GW Bush, republicans and lawn care guys using hand helds that belch smoke.