Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Pics from the 2012 mowing season!!
I had just got my Walker used with 800 hours on it, so I was pretty stripe happy for a while!

That's one of my guys... A extra cutting job. It sucked. I wish I had an after picture for you guys, but we were all to hot, tired, and mad to care at that point. A brush cutter would have been a great idea to bring with us that afternoon.
Attached Images

Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Old 03-02-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

That shop is legit, but why so many curved shaft trimmers?
BOSS plows
Echo and Exmark gear
Old 03-02-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Shop looks great, yeah do you guys like the curved shaft trimmers better than straight shaft ones?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

The main reason is for our signature edging. We edge all of our residential and some of the commerical businesses lawns with 90 degree edges. A curved shaft trimmer allows the operator to hold the trimmer upside down with the head vertically near the body with full control. In order for me to get a straight shafts head in that position, I have to nearly hold the motor near my shoulders which gets awkward. Which I really notice when cutting for a long distance. I wish I had a picture of someone holding the trimmers. It would make a lot more sense.

A curved shaft trimmer is lighter, keeping the guys working faster for long periods of time. They are cheaper (<$200), so each crew member gets their own at the beginning of the year. Older ones are past down to those in training, and those who are full time get a new trimmer to call they're own. A lot of the guys have drawn on or stickered their trimmers to set them apart. They are replaced as necessary, and the worn out ones are used for parts. I let all of are guys choose which style of trimmer they would like to use, but only 1 in the last 4 years has chosen to use a straight as his go to trimmer. When the power is needed the straight shafts always come out when we get into hillside or brush cutting though.
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Old 03-02-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Lawn View Post
The main reason is for our signature edging. We edge all of our residential and some of the commerical businesses lawns with 90 degree edges. A curved shaft trimmer allows the operator to hold the trimmer upside down with the head vertically near the body with full control. In order for me to get a straight shafts head in that position, I have to nearly hold the motor near my shoulders which gets awkward. Which I really notice when cutting for a long distance. I wish I had a picture of someone holding the trimmers. It would make a lot more sense.

A curved shaft trimmer is lighter, keeping the guys working faster for long periods of time. They are cheaper (<$200), so each crew member gets their own at the beginning of the year. Older ones are past down to those in training, and those who are full time get a new trimmer to call they're own. A lot of the guys have drawn on or stickered their trimmers to set them apart. They are replaced as necessary, and the worn out ones are used for parts. I let all of are guys choose which style of trimmer they would like to use, but only 1 in the last 4 years has chosen to use a straight as his go to trimmer. When the power is needed the straight shafts always come out when we get into hillside or brush cutting though.
That makes sense, I just always found the curved shafts to be awkward but I guess it's just because I've always been use to the straight shafts.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that is interesting to see all those curved shaft trimmers I never really liked them all that much. Someone has to use them though!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the compliments on the shop! Its always a working progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Man View Post
Yeah that is interesting to see all those curved shaft trimmers I never really liked them all that much. Someone has to use them though!
Haha yeah its true! Change can be hard. I could probably get used to a straight shaft in a day or two, but I love how fast and comfortable I am with the curved. It almost is like an extension of my arm when properly set up. That's why no one gets to use my trimmer. haha. Im sure the weight of the straight would help strengthen my upper body though!
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice stuff. What kind of tires are on that ram in the one pic?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice Stuff. You came a long way.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6rs97 View Post
Nice stuff. What kind of tires are on that ram in the one pic?
Haha it's funny that you ask that cause I looked back and in all 3 pictures my pickup has different tires on it! The first pic with the empty trailer, those are Yokahama Geolander A/T-S. 285/70-17s
The second I have Toyo M/T's (awful for towing, hauling, and all around in town driving. They wore away in 8k miles.) 295/70-17s
The most recent in from of the shop, I just picked those up and they are Michelin M/S 2's from Costco. 285/70-17s
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)