The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Oregon G6 blades

Are these a mulch blade?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

From my understanding/reading here on LS, G6s (& G5s = slightly thinner/lighter) create too much lift (making for increased blowout up front) and are best at side-discharging.

While I've not yet tried my G5s purchased this Winter, I'm looking forward to using them this Spring.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeg83 View Post
Are these a mulch blade?
Yes. They are a mulching blade designed to be used for side discharging only. They do an excellent job, but are not to be used with a mulch kit or chute blocker. Read this thread-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...w+G6+blades%3F
Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Yes. They are a mulching blade designed to be used for side discharging only. They do an excellent job, but are not to be used with a mulch kit or chute blocker. Read this thread-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...w+G6+blades%3F
Thank you. You stated this much better than my post did.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Thank you. You stated this much better than my post did.
After being involved in the thread I linked, and most of the others regarding the G6's (5's) I got it down pretty good.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a set of the G6 blades for my 61" Grasshopper last year. I primarily bag, but also discharge some accounts throughout the week. Never mulch. My hope was they would reduce the size of the clippings coming out of the chute to get more in the bags, as well as smaller clippings out of the chute when discharging.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed. Grasshopper deck design needs a LOT of lift to throw the clippings out far enough to not leave windrows, and the G6 blades did decent, but not good enough to satisfy me. When bagging I swear I was actually getting MORE grass in the bags, I think they were sucking up everything that wasn't rooted in really well. I went back and forth between the G6 and standard high lifts while bagging and with the G6 blades I was always filling up faster.

The G6 blades also didn't perform well in taller grass, they tended to leave more stragglers (uncut grass) behind, and I'd really have to slow down to get them to cut cleanly.

Where they excelled was in the fall. I used them exclusively in leaf season, they have plenty of lift to suck out embedded leaves, plus shred them up better before throwing them into the catcher. Also I could slap my mulch plate on the discharge (no mulch kit, just the plate) and almost make leaves disappear completely without bagging at all. Without a full mulch kit though, I'd have to mow in a circle with the discharge facing in or else it would leave trails of debris, but that's not the blades fault.

Overall I think the G6 blades may work well in some parts of the country, but here I prefer the standard solid lift blades for general mowing.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

my experience with the G6 was totally opposite. i only side discharge though. i never bag or mulch. the G6 blades made the clippings alot smaller than factory high lifts reducing any clippings being left on top of the lawn. i was greatly impressed.

they also do very well in tall grass for me. my mower used to bog down with factory high lifts but using the G6 blades it no longer does. they put less drag on the engine so i don't have to slow down as much in taller/thicker grass. i remember times cutting with the factory blades in thick, tall, wet grass and i'd have to almost stop or even backup to let the clippings discharge out of the deck so the engine would stop bogging down and then continue. with the G6 blades this doesn't happen anymore. i can just keep going forward and it never builds up like that under the deck anymore.

i use them on leaves too and they mulch all of the leaves up until they disappear into the lawn great.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
my experience with the G6 was totally opposite. i only side discharge though. i never bag or mulch. the G6 blades made the clippings alot smaller than factory high lifts reducing any clippings being left on top of the lawn. i was greatly impressed.

they also do very well in tall grass for me. my mower used to bog down with factory high lifts but using the G6 blades it no longer does. they put less drag on the engine so i don't have to slow down as much in taller/thicker grass. i remember times cutting with the factory blades in thick, tall, wet grass and i'd have to almost stop or even backup to let the clippings discharge out of the deck so the engine would stop bogging down and then continue. with the G6 blades this doesn't happen anymore. i can just keep going forward and it never builds up like that under the deck anymore.

i use them on leaves too and they mulch all of the leaves up until they disappear into the lawn great.
Crazy how different machines react so opposite with the same blades! I had a noticeable amount of added drag on the engine on mine with the G6 blades, mostly because they are 3" wide (very heavy) blades. The standard high-lifts grasshopper has are 2.5" wide and don't drag the engine down as much...

Just goes to show, when people are wanting info on blades specifically, be sure to tell what machine they will be used on! It does make a difference.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Crazy how different machines react so opposite with the same blades! I had a noticeable amount of added drag on the engine on mine with the G6 blades, mostly because they are 3" wide (very heavy) blades. The standard high-lifts grasshopper has are 2.5" wide and don't drag the engine down as much...

Just goes to show, when people are wanting info on blades specifically, be sure to tell what machine they will be used on! It does make a difference.
Very true. Many guys here have claimed to lose power due to the added weight of the G6 blades.

The Deere Z's come with either 3" x .250" blades or 2.5" X 5/16" blades, so turning the G6's isn't any problem. The G6's work awesome under the 7 Iron Pro deck as Jason stated.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Curious if you all think the more finely shredded discharge shoots out as far using G6s as opposed to your other blades of choice? I'm hoping and would think the discharge will not fly as far...

I've used Oregon single notch hi-lift blades almost exclusively over the years...and will use standard 3in1 Gators during leaf season when conditions are dry.

Looking forward to giving my new G5s a test run come mowing season!
~ Josh Billings