Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki FH451V Carb Pilot Jet Question

Is the pilot jet on this cab part #92064 in the diagram supposed to be clear all the way through? I cannot get a piece of wire all the way through it but looking at it, I am not sure if is supposed to go all the way through.
If it is supposed to be open all the way through, it seems it would be pulling unfiltered air into the carb.
The engine runs good with the choke on, if I turn the choke off, I need to back out this pilot jet 1/4 turn for it to run with the choke off as if it is not getting the air it needs. I am sure this jet is not made to not be seated all the way.
I am not to familiar with this type of pilot jet being on the outside of the carb as I mainly work on motorcycles.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This pilot jet is not supposed to be open all the way though to where the screwdriver slot is, There's two holes cross drilled near the end below the threads. Make sure their open. In the very tip is a small port that clogs, Use a bristle from a steel hand wire brush to poke through this port. Just bend a bristle out to the side of the handle then work it into the port in the tip.....

This jet should be tight in the carb body.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

aYou are correct in the fact that the port in the end of the pilot jet does not pass all the way through--only as far as the two(normally) ports perpendicular to the port in the end. The function of the pilot jet is to meter air to the idle circuit. It should be firmly seated.

Your likely problem is main jet or fuel nozzle obstruction--time for a tear down and clean up. Remove the main jet then the fuel nozzle and with a torch tip cleaner, clean all ports.

Rob, you and Slapper are making it tough on the old man--ya beat me to the prize again.

Last edited by dutch1; 02-28-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry Dutch...... Ah, When ya log on next time..... Shoot me a PM say'n "I'M HERE" !!!!!

I'll give ya an hour to make yer rounds.....
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
aYou are correct in the fact that the port in the end of the pilot jet does not pass all the way through--only as far as the two(normally) ports perpendicular to the port in the end. The function of the pilot jet is to meter air to the idle circuit. It should be firmly seated.

Your likely problem is main jet or fuel nozzle obstruction--time for a tear down and clean up. Remove the main jet then the fuel nozzle and with a torch tip cleaner, clean all ports.

Rob, you and Slapper are making it tough on the old man--ya beat me to the prize again.
Correct me if Im wrong...Im sure you will...
Isnt the pilot jet also known as the intermediate fuel jet.???
I was under the impression that its purpose was to smooth the transition between idle an WOT by adding a slight amount of fuel directly into the venturi....Kinda like a dampner...
Old 03-01-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, Slapper, I have been under the assumption that it was air flow/control only--don't think any fuel passes through the pilot jet. Of course, I've been wrong before and I will be again, most likely. I'll have to do a little scratchin'.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Well, Slapper, I have been under the assumption that it was air flow/control only--don't think any fuel passes through the pilot jet. Of course, I've been wrong before and I will be again, most likely. I'll have to do a little scratchin'.
There's a bunch of carb info running around in my head...occasionally they get mixed up..
After playin with carbs and carb cleaner for over 30 years....I guess that's bout normal....
Soooooo......I guess you're right....again...
Old 03-01-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sayin' I'm right, Slapper--it's just what I remember from the past. There are a few things which stick in my mind, it's possible that this isn't one of them/

I'll defer to the Robster or one of the Council of Elders--maybe they will check in and clean up the platter.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dang guys...... Guess the "grand poo-bah" is gonna have to mop up the mess.....

Quote:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That's why they pay you the big bux.....
Thank you .....GrandPooBaaaaaaaaa......