Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is this enough motor in this truck?

All this talk of hook lifts has got me itching. I'm down to one dump after my other blew up and I'm beating my red truck hauling broken concrete 5 yrds at a time or renting 20 yd cans at $550 a pop. I would like to run a single axle for the next few years since most of my jobs don't require me to move 20+ yards yet. And this size truck is more maneuverable and usable for plowing etc.

The truck
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4148087468.html
Pros:
Automatic, diesel, American hook, 32gvw,

Cons:
Doesn't include a can
Only a 5.9 cummins, my dad has this motor in his 1994 2500 cummins and it's the slowest truck I've ever driven. I'm worried that this truck won't move with 20k lbs on its back. Especially with the auto sucking power.

Also, can I fit a gehl 5640 in this size container?

It will be a secondary truck at first, but I do work for a few builders who I think will take some cans from me and make some cash like that hauling light c and d as long as I come close in price to whoever they're using currently.

Open to all feedback and other truck suggestions. He says obo so I'm willing to haggle.
Thanks guys
Old 10-31-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

More than likely not going to be able to put a machine in the can because of the bottom design. The squared off style can generally accept a machine in it. We have a few cans just for that reason.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It doesn't come with a can, I would definitely get a square can for that. I was asking more about the length, didn't get a chance to check the truck out and out a tape measure on it.

Can a hook use both this style can and the square cans ?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Seems like way too much money for a 16 year old truck, with a small engine, and with no containers.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is the northeast lol, but I agree. The price is what it is, I won't pay that. But I will make a cash offer if I think the truck fits my needs. Both trucks I have now I knocked 5k off the asking price. It's buying season right now.

But you think that motor is definitely too small?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In my opinion, the engine is too small. It is a great engine, but consider that this is the engine in the Dodge/Cummins diesel pickups. It has probably already been worked nearly to death. This is like buying an International/Navistar with the DT444 engine. Just a big truck with a 7.3 Ford Powerstroke pickup engine in it.
And, you are correct about the auto trans sucking power. I MIGHT take a chance on this truck if it had a 10 speed manual trans. At least you would have a big selection of gears to help out the little engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
This is the northeast lol, but I agree. The price is what it is, I won't pay that. But I will make a cash offer if I think the truck fits my needs. Both trucks I have now I knocked 5k off the asking price. It's buying season right now.

But you think that motor is definitely too small?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
In my opinion, the engine is too small. It is a great engine, but consider that this is the engine in the Dodge/Cummins diesel pickups. It has probably already been worked nearly to death. This is like buying an International/Navistar with the DT444 engine. Just a big truck with a 7.3 Ford Powerstroke pickup engine in it.
And, you are correct about the auto trans sucking power. I MIGHT take a chance on this truck if it had a 10 speed manual trans. At least you would have a big selection of gears to help out the little engine.
I'm with you on this great engine just not for this application. It might be doable if you had a 5+2 transmission but these autos suck the power. Price wise isn't that bad for a hook truck in this condition but really needs an 8.3 cummins to carry a load. As far as cans go its whatever you want or can think of. You can even get a flatbed with plenty of tie downs.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...&highlight=asv everything you may need except engine.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I love that freight liner except the gvwr. In a year or two if he still has it I'll take the whole thing with the equip.

Check this guy out. Never heard of right hook but everything else is there. Mileage is a little high for me though
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/4146428528.html

Any ballpark on cost for one of these 20k lbs hooks? Found a lot of nice cab and chassis and box trucks with potential

Little old but super low miles. Seems like a good candidate
http://hartford.craigslist.org/for/4132072553.html

Last edited by alldayrj; 10-31-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I love that freight liner except the gvwr. In a year or two if he still has it I'll take the whole thing with the equip.

Check this guy out. Never heard of right hook but everything else is there. Mileage is a little high for me though
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/4146428528.html

Any ballpark on cost for one of these 20k lbs hooks? Found a lot of nice cab and chassis and box trucks with potential

Little old but super low miles. Seems like a good candidate
http://hartford.craigslist.org/for/4132072553.html
First one the miles are high and the light duty cans won't do well with concrete. The second one looks to have been run hard and those rims are a pain to deal with when getting tires. A lot of tire shops refuse to work on those style wheels.