Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Service magic??

Has anybody ever heard of this company they keep calling me all the time. I just dont like paying for leads. Has anybody ever worked for them? Did you get anything in return?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It did not seem worth it to me, so i never used them.. i'm glad they finally stopped calling me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRKY View Post
Has anybody ever heard of this company they keep calling me all the time. I just dont like paying for leads. Has anybody ever worked for them? Did you get anything in return?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used them in past years with pretty good results. You can choose only the zipcodes that you want and which services you want leads for.

They are very annoying with their phone calls if you aren't using their services
Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I did not see the service being worth all the hassle , for the time it takes to deal with the company , make shure your lead criteria is correct etc I think you could do other things that would bring better results , and yes they are very agressive in there calling , I had to be rude with them to get them to stop calling. All together it wasn't for me. Just my opinion though.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree I put in where I wanted the for and they still kept sending me stuff outside my area. Waste IMO
6.5 x 18 trailer w/dovetail
8.5 x 24 enclosed trailer
Bobcat classic 48"
Bobcat hydro walkbehind 48"
Bobcat procat 61"
Bobcat procat 61"
Bobcat predator pro 61"
Wright Velke 48"
Scag Turf Tiger 61"
08 brute force 750,
www.yougrowillmowinc.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/nytrailriders
Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally, I hated them, huge waist of time and money. I used them 3 years ago. The leads were usually terrible, people only interested in the lowest price. Also narrowing it by zip code is not that great, id get leads all the time from places in a zip code where I had nothing else, maybe zip codes are just big here in memphis. There are better places to put your money!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never used them, but they called ALL THE TIME trying to convince me to sign up. No way would I pay that price for "leads". Not to mention you compete heavily with all the other companies to get the job.

Another one to try is thumbtack.com

That works about the same as service magic aka home advisor. It's free to sign up and every now and again they send me an email about someone looking for a quote. The few I bid on cost me $1, so if I lose the bid, I'm not worried at all.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't do it. Bad leads. Cheap or imaginary people. They might be real but do not answer or return calls. They auto charge your credit card weekly. If u get bad leads u can only get an instore credit. That's after they already charged your card for the bad lead last week. Stay away. I got nothing in 2 yrs
Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Mainly a lurker here but I figured I'd chip in. I rebooted last year and got back into landscaping in the spring. I used Servicemagic along with newspaper adverts, craigslist, and the website. This year, I'm only going to use Sevicemagic and a website to continue to grow and expand.

I don't think the quality of the lead is necessarily any better or any worse on Servicemagic vs other forms of advertising. I chased down a lot of bad leads that came through the newspaper and craigslist too. What I do like is that there's a direct correlation between a lead being generated and the cost associated with the lead. You don't have that with other forms of advertising. Your expense per lead is therefore tied directly to your close rate, which is a good thing because it defines how much you're actually paying per lead and allows you to judge effectiveness.

You still have to work for the lead when it comes through SM. That means call the lead back right away, book an appointment early, be professional when you meet them, and sell.

It's not a layup by any means and it's not any different than the people who call every name in a newspaper classified service directory. I've found the rating system to be helpful to me personally in making a cold lead more comfortable in speaking to me. I've also generated a significant amount of referrals and repeat work from SM leads that I converted into customers.

Retail customers are always going to run the spectrum, from low end to high end, now matter what form of marketing you use.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Service magic, is a perfect compnay not to walk away from.....

YOU WILL WANT TO RUNNNNNNNNNNN