Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

6x12 Trailer

I'm thinking of buying a 6x12 trailer with built in sheet metal sides. This trailer will be used with a 1/2 truck and typically by hauling 6-8 yards of mulch or yard waste and wondering if this would be a decent set up for a landscape maintenance operation. I am thinking of getting away from the 3/4 ton trucks because of insurance, cost, and no longer doing snow plowing in my future. Wondering if 1/2 tons are too small of truck for doing jobs like this.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Would there be a noticeable insurance difference. A 1/2 ton is going to have smaller diffs, brakes, weaker trans, less hp. If you work it the same as a 3/4 tone you will kill it and spend a ton on repairs. My other thought is that 8 yards of mulch is likely going to be substantially overweight.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

6x12 Trailer

Average yard of mulch weighs 400 to 800 pounds and the 6 x 12 trailer s usually have a 3500 pound axle.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Single axle is more common on that size trailer I happen to have one thats dual axles and you pay for that. The jobs your describing I would think a dump trailer would be the way to go. They are heavier built than a typical utility trailer. And you could get a 10000 gvw trailer in that size easily. But I wouldn't go any less than a 7000 gvw trailer for your purposes.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 7x12 with 2ft mesh sides and we haul 8yds of mulch with it all the time. I have a 3500lb axle but upgraded to 4000lb springs. I've had it for 5 years now and it still looks pretty good!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can't fit more than 5 cubic yards of mulch on a 6x12 because you're already one thousand pounds over manufacturer rated limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstimpressions View Post
I have a 7x12 with 2ft mesh sides and we haul 8yds of mulch with it all the time. I have a 3500lb axle but upgraded to 4000lb springs. I've had it for 5 years now and it still looks pretty good!
You can't fit more than 6 in that space and you're up to 4,800 pounds, all that extra duty axle and springs barely holds that, one day you're rolling down the road and KAhhh-CLANK... But I know one thing, you ain't hauled 6,400 pounds of mulch in that so-called heavy duty trailer of yours yet, and I don't care who you are.
Don't forget the trailer itself weighs well north of a thousand, too.

Maybe better check with your mulch supplier, especially if you've been paying them for 8 yards...

Last edited by herler; 03-19-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If only mowing then get a single axle enclosed 6x12 with a half ton truck. This truck will pull that all day long with no problem. If you do lots of mulch then look at a 6x12 or 14' with tandom axles. Which ever trailer you get plan on having brakes on every wheel that's touching pavement. If it helps any I use my 1/2 ton dodge to pull a 6x16 loaded everyday with no real problems. I do have brakes all the way around and it doesn't like going up hills but it will. I can get up to 11 yards of hardwood bark or 14 yards of the double grind mulch. Mowing I pull a 52" WB, 52" Vride, 36" WB and a trim mower.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Herler.. 6.22 if leveled flat. Ever think you might be able to 'mound' the mulch much higher in the middle and tarp it?? And in not sure who told you 800lb / yd. I'd give 400lb and yes that would still put me at 4400 which is over but not nearly to your guesstimate. It's not ideal but it does work and gets the job done when necessary. And yes, I get and pay for 8 yds...
Posted via Mobile Device